Absinthe + Prescription Medicines

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Absinthe + Prescription Medicines
By Artemis on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 12:40 pm: Edit

"artemis,

There are certain things I will not tolerate.
Dr. Laura's homophobic diatribes, for example.

Enough said. Politics, ugh."

Yes. Ugh to politics. At least here. Let's talk about absinthe, poetry, the Fin de Siecle, Jarry, Rimbaud, even Hills. But no politics, please. It's covered thoroughly and better in other forums.

By Marc on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 10:23 am: Edit

artemis,

There are certain things I will not tolerate.
Dr. Laura's homophobic diatribes, for example.

Enough said. Politics, ugh.

By Artemis on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 05:20 am: Edit

Anatomist1 wrote:

"I don't see anything directly illogical or simplistic about suggesting that intolerant moralists congregate with their own ilk for dramatic effect. I think you'll have to walk me through this amazingly obvious contradiction."

Okay. You said the world isn't made up of simplistic binaries, and in the same post implied that all Republicans think the same way (this is simplistic), and implied that this way is somehow not in accordance with the way people in this forum think or should think, (this is binary, i.e., good/evil, right/wrong, Democrat/Republican). But more importantly, you insulted some people here who ARE Republicans and/or have no problem with Dr. Laura by implying they are in some way deluded or deficient. This is why political discussion, let alone political insults, HAS NO PLACE on this forum. Yes, I know, I have a page down key, but it's sometimes hard to tell when a wordy post should be mined for possible absinthe nuggets.

Marc wrote:

"You too have complained of a certain intolerence here in the absinthe forum."

I don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it. Tolerance makes room for Republicans, even Dr. Laura. That was my only point. Now I'm out of this, and I do mean out.

By Marc on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 02:45 pm: Edit

jkk,

sorry about the mistake regarding your moniker. Strike my "jfk" remark.

By Marc on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 02:43 pm: Edit

jfk,

Master's degree? I dropped out of school in the
9th grade. Most of my education in English and writing has been at the feet of Ginsburg, Burroughs, Kerouac, Brautigan, Corso, Bukowski,
Fante, Chandler, Hammett, Dylan, Jim Morrison,
Leonard Cohen and Patti Smith. So, my teachers may not have been precise in their technique, but they made up for it in spirit and energy. It's or its, who gives a shits? It's the soul of the thing that counts.

As far as the mind-altering elements of absinthe are concerned, I am conflicted. I have experienced a slight derangement of the senses
on absinthe, but nothing anywhere near the quality
or intensity of a psychedelic. What effect there is, is subtle. The first 2 glasses of absinthe
I ever drank (Sebors) seemed to sharpen my visual perception. Lights glowed brighter and shimmered.
But, in looking for an "effect", I may have been simply looking more intensely. In other words, the clarity was of my own mind's making...
free of any absinthe "effect".

I am a moderate drinker of absinthe. I am not worried about it being unsafe. So far, so good.

With a name like "jfk", why are you so quick to defend the poor, defenseless republicans?

My lousy punctuation hasn't kept me from writing
6 albums worth of pretty interesting lyrics. I have always preferred the wet and the sloppy over the clinical.

By the way, my poor punctuation gets me in trouble at The New York Times Film Forum. There are some real hardasses over there.

Learning to write would take away from the time I spend writing.

By . com on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 02:27 pm: Edit

ha, ha, ha, ha... K, your a dick!!!

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 01:01 pm: Edit

P.S. Thanks again to Marc for providing a little backup.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Whoa, there big fella! Forget I mentioned Republicans. I think trying to impose a liberal vs. conservative political debate on the subject of absinthe is a bit of a stretch. Although I have an ample array of pejoratives to heap upon political conservatives, this far from implies that I'm a liberal PC guy with a master's degree.

As for the point of my original inflammatory post, qua absinthe, you buttress it. Absinthe is illegal. It's probably somewhat dangerous. Its history is alluring precisely because it's sinister, mysterious and subversive. I conclude, therefore, that persons on the AMA philosopho-pharmacalogical treadmill looking for solace and assurances of safe guzzling should be gently ridiculed and given a little nudge in the "proper" direction, or scared away. Furthermore, I conclude that anyone who finds such high-spirited banter offensive and frightening has probably taken a wrong turn on the information superhighway, and accidently landed on the wrong forum.

Also, Strunk and White is a great book, but it's not the only book. English is a living language, which means it's perfectly free to turn to crap, if its living users choose to let it.

And, finally, I humbly request that Mr. Thales please keep his mind out of my trousers. Thank you.

Also
K.

By JKK on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 11:45 am: Edit

The controlling isn't being done by uptight Republicans, but by the politically-correct LEFT who will insist, (as their mood grasps them), that absinthe has NO effects other than that of alcohol; that it has effects but they aren't interested in them--and no one else should be either; that absinthe is entirely safe; that thujone is as innocuous as cough drops,etc.,etc. Also, a good half of the posts have phrases, clauses, entire sentences that are incomprehensible, and the mistakes in spelling and punctuation are egregious. Perhaps I'm the only one who cares, but I have to grit my teeth to get through them. And how is it that people with Master's degrees don't know the difference between IT'S and ITS? No Frenchman who has finished high school writes in his native language that badly.

By Marc on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 10:49 am: Edit

Everybody lighten up. Perhaps it's time for a drink.

"...this guys a closet pervert or something. Looks like the absinthe is doing it's job on him."

Thales,
you're kidding, right? Suggesting that absinthe leads to acts of sexual perversion mirrors the sensibility that got it banned in the first place. Why post such idiocy in an absinthe forum?
What did it's "job" on you?

Artemis, friend,
anatomist has a point. You too have complained of a certain intolerence here in the absinthe forum. This is a place that, in addition to being informative, should be freewheeling, outrageous and provocative. Look to the famous absinthe drinkers of the past, particularly Rimbaud and Wilde, and what do you see? Mild-mannered, polite and civilized? Hell no! Social anarchists, poets, blasphemers and visionaries? Hell yes!

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 10:18 am: Edit

Artemis,

I don't see anything directly illogical or simplistic about suggesting that intolerant moralists congregate with their own ilk for dramatic effect. I think you'll have to walk me through this amazingly obvious contradiction.

K.

By Artemis on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 04:54 am: Edit

Anatomist1 wrote:

"I think some of you guys are on the wrong forum. I'm sure there's room for you on a Republican Party forum, Dr. Laura's website ..."

and amazingly, in the same post wrote:

"As much as y'all would like the world to be exclusively made up of simplistic binaries, it isn't."

Enough said.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 09:00 am: Edit

Man. So much for the supposedly burgeoning free-spirited absinthe subculture. I think some of you guys are on the wrong forum. I'm sure there's room for you on a Republican Party forum, Dr. Laura's website, or maybe some priggish Victorian recreation society...

First of all, I admitted my advice was "bad". It was supposed to be both funny and serious... what we of the non-chronically-puckered sphincters refer to as AMBIGUOUS. Say it with me: amb-i-gu-ous. As much as y'all would like the world to be exclusively made up of simplistic binaries, it isn't. Those of us with a little more than a half-dozen moralistic formulas between our ears like it that way. It keeps life from becoming insufferably boring.

Life is for living, not just avoiding danger. Anyone who thinks Johnny X is going to drop dead from drinking a couple of absinthe cocktails is nothing but a ninny. I, for one, am going to live my life with as much gusto as I can muster, and I'm not going to be deterred by a bunch of insipid ninnies. I will continue to advise others to do the same.

K.

By malhomme on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Monday Night Wrestling!!!
On a Thursday?

By Mo Chit on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Thales,

His dreams kinda put me to sleep, and if that was
his attempt at humour he is not funny, but to call
him perverted for saying how he thinks and/or
feels is to judge in a way i find far more
disgusting than any dull dream or lame attempt at
humour.

If someone thinks differently than you, well, you
can learn or you can fear. So what are you so
afraid of, mr kneejerk?

-Mo

(dispensing advice to the clearly needy in the way
the Russians dispense of submarine employees...)

By Thales on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 11:24 am: Edit

If Anatomist1's post was supposed to be humorous, then it's a real f..ked up type. Not funny at all, just warped, like his dreams. I don't doubt this guy's a closet pervert or somthing. Looks like the Absinthe is doing its job to him.

Thales

By Marc on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 12:15 am: Edit

some people just don't have a sense of humor. Particularly those freaks trapped in "netland".

By malhomme on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 10:16 pm: Edit

It amazes how some people just don't get irony, no matter how ridiculous the statement....

Don't do it Johnny X!!!

By University Lurker on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 02:09 pm: Edit

anatomist1 sounds like that guy who told some one to drink straight wormwood oil. It nearly killed that person and a lawsuit or something followed. That person who gave the advice was held liable. DON'T listen to anyone on this fourm!!! You can get hurt by what you do not know.
What stupid advice from Anatomist1, a person who know nothing about absinthe except that he drinks it.
to many creepy weirdos giving bad advice here in Netland.

By Mr. Wormwood on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 07:42 am: Edit

I will have to agree with Don on this one.

If any prescription you are taking says don't take with alcohol, don't drink absinthe. Absinthe is first and formost a potent alcoholic beverage.

If you see contraindications for something like Vics Vaporub or Ricola Herbal cough drops then the herbal component of absinthe may be a problem for that particular medication.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 05:33 pm: Edit

He is doing a study on the affects of absinthe on the body. I know that the study is done but the data is still being compiled and sorted though.

You can find the results here when they are published I am sure:

http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~ddrc/absinthe.html

Hope it helps

J

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 05:16 pm: Edit

By the way, I just read the Baggot FAQ myself. Exactly what type of study is he supposed to be conducting?

K.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Johnny,

These posts all present good, sensible advice, and you would be wise to be cautious. Caution, however, is exceedingly dull. How about some bad advice?

Just drink it. You know you want it. I think you're trying to change horses in mid-stream. You were lured into the clutches of the Green Fairy by heady tales of debauchery and inspired madness, weren't you? Well, then stop worrying, stop speculating, put down that copy of the PDR, and pick up a glass! Drink your fill and maraud the streets seeking adventure! Burn down your house and join the circus! Buy a one way ticket to Amsterdam! Marry a hooker in Vegas and gamble away your life savings!
Just do it!!!

K.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Anyone know when Baggot will be done with that study or when he will publish the finish results??

Ted?

By JKK on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Thujone is a neural excitant, so those with mental or nervous weaknesses may want to be careful. Absinthe may exacerbate manic-depressive tendencies. There is practically no confirmed medical evidence of the deleterious effects of the drink, which doesn't mean that there are none, simply that they haven't yet been proved. In a way, we're all guinea pigs. I doubt that one "bender" would hurt you, but I'd think twice about becoming a dedicated absintheur.

By Don Walsh on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 08:19 am: Edit

Look for contraindications with alcohol first. That would be any alcoholic drink not just absinthe,

Then look for alcohol interactions AGAIN.

The look for any contraindications with monoterpenes. Not likely.

By blackjack on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 07:29 am: Edit

Since the exact chemical workings of Absinthe aren't known (if there are any beyond the alcohol) it's pretty hard to say. The conventional wisdom is not to mix anything, including alcohol, with SSRI's, not so much because it will cause a bad reaction but because ti will reduce the efficacy of the medication. Trat absinthe like you would any strong liquor and you should be OK.

By Johnny X on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 04:23 am: Edit

Greetings. I am new to both Absinthe and this message board. I was hoping that some kind soul kind offer some information as to any negative or potentially fatal Absinthe/Prescription Medicine combinations. I am interested in Absinthe yet I fear that it may interefere with a low dosage of Zoloft (A SSRI which I take to thwart the occasional panic attack). Are there any types of people who should avoid Absinthe (perhaps it may exacerbate underlying mental illness)? Or is it relatively innocuous? I love to go on the occasional bender but I have no idea how Thujone will affect me. Many thanks for your time and I apologize if said subject has already been addressed.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation