Waterproof seal for Absinthe Fountain

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Waterproof seal for Absinthe Fountain
By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 11:38 am: Edit

Well that is no good, Earl and Cletus-Joe really wanted some absinthe back at the trailer park..

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 11:15 am: Edit

Unless you're planning on vending absinthe in rural areas from the back of a flat-bed truck, silicone will probably work fine.

K.

By tabreaux on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 10:52 am: Edit

Clear silicone is what you need.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 08:57 am: Edit

Ok for whatever reason it did not get my text. For better understand the are I need to seal is marked "b". I have to seal the water-tight sealant again as it has worn away over time. I am going to scrape out the old sealant and put something new in.

Hope this helps and thanks for everyone's advice.

-J

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 08:54 am: Edit

D:\download
D:downloadfont4.jpgfont4.jpg

By tabreaux on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 08:17 am: Edit

Silicone remains a bit flexible, epoxy does not. Therefore, regardless of anything else, silicone makes a better gasket, and this is why silicone is used for making gaskets.

By Black Rabbit on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 06:51 am: Edit

I say avoid epoxy not for reasons of toxicity (though you could get some if you get your mix off) but for reasons of flavor. I find that silicone stuff doesn't impart a taste to the liquid in it, but epoxy does.

I may be overly sensitive- I don't drink out of plastic cups if I am intending to enjoy what I drink because I can taste the plastic overlaying everything else (same goes for metal.)

If you are trying to hold it together, maybe use whatever adhesive you want- and then on the liquid contacting side, add a layer of silicone.

Best O both worlds, and all.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 06:31 pm: Edit

I should probably add that, practically, if you are using very small amounts, you can reasonably get away with just the gloves and the goggles outside.

K.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Fully cured, hardened epoxy is relatively inert, non-toxic, and nearly indestuctible. There is nothing in ordinary water that is going to break the polymer back into its constituent parts. The separate parts of most epoxy resins are highly toxic. They should not contact your body and you should not breathe the fumes. If you decide to work with epoxy, you need to research the safety procedures thoroughly.

That said, epoxy has a distinct advantage over silicone sealer in that it actually sticks things together very well. As a sculptor and former jury-rigger of smoking paraphernalia, I can tell you that silicone sealer, in my experience has no strength whatsoever. It is basically clear calk. So, if the joint between the two parts in question is going to undergo any kind of stress other than possibly compression, I would say the silicone will eventually fail.

Some epoxies dry clear too. But, you're going to need EVAL or nitrile gloves, goggles, and a respirator with fresh cartridges specifically rated for epoxy resins, and an extremely well-ventilated area (i.e., NOT inside your house!). Poisoning yourself without even getting high in the process is a low-down shame.

K.

By Black Rabbit on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 07:33 am: Edit

avoid epoxy. Go to the plumbing section of your hardware store- they have silicone based goo there that will do exactly what you want and won't add any toxins.

By tabreaux on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 07:24 am: Edit

Justin, silicone sealer shouldn't pose any toxicity.

Don, My old address is working again. I have a new one which will be active in about 2 weeks. My old one will continue however.

By Don Walsh on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Ted, are you still at the posted email address?

Or what is new one?

By Chrysippvs on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Is that Gasket sealer non-toxic...don't want that water coming through a nice filter of poisoness chemicals...

-J

By tabreaux on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Yeah, that's easy. Get some clear silicone gasket sealer from your local hardware or auto parts store.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 06:10 pm: Edit

I have an 6 spigot absinthe fountain arriving this week and I need to replace the water proof lining where the globe fits onto the base. Anyone know of a good non-toxic sealant for such a task. I am thinking of have something made for it so I don't have to add anything that could possibly corrosive. Would epoxy do? Any reccomendations?

-J

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation