Cervantes, Jarry, Zappa but NOT Shakespeare

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Cervantes, Jarry, Zappa but NOT Shakespeare
By Artemis on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 07:26 am: Edit

"Frank Zappa once called tobacco his "favorite vegetable." Alfred Jarry did not dilute his absinthe. This proves nothing except perhaps a common sort of attitude about things."

Right, no way to proove such a thing, but it's intriguing. Jarry made some comment about dress rehearsals - to paraphrase, he said it was a valuable opportunity for actors to perform with no idiots in the audience. Zappa said "Rock Journalism" was people who couldn't write for an audience who couldn't read. Unlike Jarry, I don't believe Frank was prone to carry a gun and shoot it whenever and wherever he pleased, so there are some definite differences.

By Billynorm on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Artemis,

I'm surprised no one has responded to your post, so as one who attributed "The proof of the pudding, etc." to Shakespeare, I thank you for enlightening me!

Frank Zappa once called tobacco his "favorite vegetable." Alfred Jarry did not dilute his absinthe. This proves nothing except perhaps a common sort of attitude about things.

By Artemis on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 05:08 am: Edit

Some time back I attributed in this forum "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" to Shakespeare. Forgive my ignorance - I've learned it was Miguel de Saavedra Cervantes who turned that phrase, along with many others that have become universal:

"Not to mince words"
"Give the devil his due"
"Paid him in his own coin"
"A finger in every pie"
"Every dog has his day"
"Give up the ghost"
"Venture all his eggs in one basket" and many others.

While researching this, I strayed a little and came across some delightfully caustic comments by Alfred Jarry, and had a revelation - Frank Zappa was Jarry reincarnated. They even looked alike - check out that drawing of Jarry, the one the guy in the movie "Mall Rats" is wearing on his T-Shirt - the deep dark eyes, the heavy black mustache ....

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation