Russian Absinthe?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Russian Absinthe?
By M. Mouse on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Speaking of Russian quality, I have a bottle of this russian alcohol and when you look in the fluid you can see floaters in it which have settled on the bottom. Don't even know what I have, a couple of town leaders came here to my place of business and gave me a few different types of liquor (no vodkas)from Russia and other gifts after getting them high. We drank the others, but this one I don't trust the floaters in it.
Thanks for the info.

Midge Mouse

By JKK on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 05:13 pm: Edit

I am using the local library to post these messages, and was forced to interrupt my last post because the time had expired. Sorry!

Many alcoholic beverages more or less remain in the area in which they were produced. I have made St. Petersburg my home base, so I tend to see the things produced there. Of course, if a concern is large enough, such as Stolichnaya, it will send its products to other regions. A small-scale factory, though, might send the majority of its production to the nearest big city. What I'm getting at is that it's virtually impossible to obtain every brand of alcoholic beverage produced in the former Soviet Union. There is a lack of infrastructure that would make products readily available. My guess, again, is that there is no absinthe there, but I haven't been there in two years, and, as I said, I haven't sampled everything produced in the country.

A last note--Are you sure you would want to try anything Russian? This is probably going to offend someone or other on the forum, and I'm sorry, but on the whole, Russian quality is abysmal. It might be hard to believe, but there are worse things in this world than Hill's. I don't want to go into any horror stories, but there is--or was--beer sold there that was literally unsafe to drink. Vodka and other strong drinks might be safe from bacteria, but the alcohol itself could cause problems--such as blindness. Yes, I know they have Stolichnaya, but guess what--Russians themselves consider it mediocre and would rather drink Absolut if they have the money.

Well, have to go. Hope this helped. Sorry if it offended anyone!

By JKK on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I have spent a lot of time in Russia and as far as I know there is no absinthe there. It probably was never there even in the 19th century. My first trip to Russia was in 1989, and I brought up the question of absinthe with everyone I met, and I looked on my own. A LOT!

If there is absinthe there now, it is probably something very recent and would probably be a knock-off of Czech anyway.

"Wormwood" in Russia is "polyn", (accent on the second syllable). It is sold in many drug stores and grown at dachas, (and is abundant in its wild state). Russians drink it as a tea for expelling worms or for its disinfecting qualities. It has no secondary effects when drunk in this fashion, (and, of course, it tastes horrible).

There is no real word for "absinthe" in Russian. I have seen "absent" written, but I think it's just a Russian transliteration of the French word. Most English-Russian dictionaries, (or French-Russian, for that matter), esplain "Absinthe" as "wormwood vodka".

It is a little hard to track down all brands of alcoholic beverages in Russia because many of them tend to remain in the geographic region in which they were produced.

By Mr. Wormwood on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 08:53 am: Edit

No, I have seen wormwood flavored vodkas and Pelenkovacs from there.

There is a Polish Vodka called Absynthe which is flavored with fenel, aniseed and wormwood.

But no French style absinthe.

By M. Mouse on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

anybody know of any Russian Absinthe?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation