Advice needed for glassware

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Advice needed for glassware
By james on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 08:04 am: Edit

I'm glad you couldn't resist - that's funny!

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Well, if you find the GLASS enticing, then my new limited offer will thrill you to the marrow. I'll sell you a fresh bottle of cadaver juice... let's call it Le Cadaveur for a mere $215 dollars a bottle. That's right, it's up to 40 proof and a genuine dead man or woman has been swimming in it for at least the past six months. Shipping is a mere $50 USPS bulk rate. (Please specify regular or chunky style).

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 09:49 am: Edit

If the glass is like the one I am thinking about it is probably not from the belle epoch era, I think it may be Quina or some similar pastis that tried to revive the feel of the absinthe ritual after the end of WWI. I will be able to tell for sure when I see the item in photograph. Most of the stuff that Patrick now sell is pastis era, excepting the spoons which are usually belle epoch.

and I agree..I could drinking from nothing else than a period absinthe glass, there is just nothing like it.

Take Care

By james on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 09:02 am: Edit

Thank you all for your comments regarding my purchase of authentic glassware on e-bay. I'll attempt to load a picture on this thread soon for visual evaluations.

Absinthedrinker, Yes, I believe that you are correct. I researched a little further and the glasses do look like "mominette".

Anatomist1, I must respectfully disagree. I do find drinking absinthe out of a dead man's glass enticing.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 01:39 am: Edit

I think I have bought from the supplier on ebay that you mention and I have found his items to be authentic. The glass that you have is probably a "mominette" which was intended to provide a smaller measure of absinthe than the usual one.

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Further thoughts on glassware:

Personally, I am in revolt against the insinuation of corporate logos into my daily life. I feel that if I have already bought a product, the time to be subjected to advertisement has ended. For this reason, I instantly rejected the Pernod set. Also, although I feel a certain lure toward antiques, the proposition that a particular scratchy old glass has been touched to the lips of a long dead frenchman doesn't exactly have me reaching for my wallet...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 12:51 pm: Edit

post the images here or e-mail me them and I can tell you if they are belle epoch or not...Usually you can tell a mile a away.

take care

By Bob Chong on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 12:33 pm: Edit

James wrote:
The glasses I received measure exactly 6 ounces, this fills the glass to the brim

I think drinking something filled to the brim would be unpleasant (and, according to his glassware treatise in this thread, I'd assume Anatomist1 might agree).

Using available pictures of "authentic" absinthe glasses as a guide, I found lots of cool old glassware for sale on the web. Sure, they lack the authenticity and the dosage marking, but they resemble the glasses closely enough that it seems the drinking experience would be quite the same. Like Anatomist1 noted, glasses are chosen to fit the drink (e.g., beer in a wine glass would feel goofy to me).

I was searching for something that didn't cost a hundred bucks per glass, and I found a lot. And I got my free spoon from Free Spoon Offer

FWIW, if anyone is looking for glasses that would fit the bill but aren't overly concerned with complete authenticity, do a web search for a footed water goblet, or do an ebay search for "footed water" or "water goblet." Fostoria seems like a good glassmaker. Also look at "depression glass." I found my two glasses for $12 apiece. Many are less than that.

By james on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 12:08 pm: Edit

I hope this discussion has not come to an end yet. I recently received a Perond's Fils carafe along with two dose marked absinthe glasses and spoons. I received these items from a source on e-bay; the seller is from Luxembourg. They are authentic Belle Epoch. (or so I was told). I understand that the correct preparation of a glass of absinthe is 5 parts water to 1 part absinthe. The glasses I received measure exactly 6 ounces, this fills the glass to the brim. Does anyone have any comments on these glasses, or the authentic Pernod's Fils carafe? Are they indeed authentic Belle Epoch? Could the glasses just be a smaller version of an absinthe glass?
Thanks much for any comments.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 04:54 pm: Edit

About the same mark up of la bleue being 10 dollars a bottle if you know where to look...

By blackjack on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 04:40 pm: Edit

With all due respect, Justin, that same modern Pernod carafe and glasses can be had at for $10.50 for the carafe and $3.25 each for the glasses.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 12:25 pm: Edit

The ones I bought seem bigger than normal wine glasses. I would say more like wine "goblet" according to store tags. Probably about 10 oz.

I would suggest giving more thought to what you like or want in a drink. Alcohol glassware was and is mostly designed with very specific concerns in mind, and makes an interesting study.

For instance, if a glass is easily held by its stem or handle it slows the rate at which you impart heat to the contents with your hand. Check out a german wine glass: it has a huge stem to hold because german wines are predominantly served cold(ish).

Fred Astaire's inexplicable on-screen use of wide, shallow ones aside, champagne glasses are tall and thin to minimize the surface area in relation to the liquid volume, thereby lessening the rate at which it loses carbonation. Brandy snifters are basically gas chambers because of the importance of the aroma.... you get the idea.

So, if you like strong drinks, get a small volume glass. If you like weak drinks, get a big one. If you like your liquid cold, get a glass with a stout stem.

Oh, and if you want to buy a couple of those replica spoons cheap, I'll sell you a pair for $11, including mailing. I'm not enthusiastic enough about the sugar ritual to warrant owning 4.

By Bob Chong on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

Since the drink is 6 oz., how big should the glass be? I assume you need some head room (i.e., you don't want to drink something filled to the brim), so the glass is, what, 8 oz.? 10 oz.?

By Anatomist1 on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 06:32 am: Edit

I just went to a place here in Madison, WI called CostPlus WorldMarket. It's kind of like a Pier One Imports, which might also be a good try. I got four glasses that were supposed to be wine glasses except they have heavy, thick stems, and are conical in shape. They may not be antiques, but they look exactly like the glasses in most of the absinthe drinker paintings, and I got them for $2.99 each. I've seen that Pernod set of which Justin speaks, and I think I got a much better deal.

The traditional serving of absinthe is supposed to be 6 oz: 1 abs, 5 water. Personally, I ditched the sugar cube/traditional method after my first glass and started drinking it with ice cubes and mineral water.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Bob I have some sets on my site that Pernod made and they are perfect for drinking absinthe. The sets feature 2 glasses 2 spoons and a carafe.

If you are interested take a look around my site:

They are in the sets section on the second page.

take care

By Bob Chong on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Can anyone recommend any contemporary glassware that would serve nicely for drinking absinthe? Or is there affordable antique glassware out there? From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the absinthe style glasses are very similar to lots of other glassware (sans dose etching) from the early half of this century.

I have looked around quite a bit and can't decide what I should get. My biggest question is this: how big should the glasses be (i.e., how many oz.)? I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation