Beginner Absinthe Drinker

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Beginner Absinthe Drinker
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through May 17, 2000  3   05/17 01:07pm

By JKK on Tuesday, June 06, 2000 - 09:25 am: Edit

Hill's has only 1 or 2 mg. of thujone per kilo, which for all intents and purposes is thujone-free. The real thing has about 100 mg., i.e. 50-100 times as much. Sebor also is low in thujone, unless you buy it through the mail, in which case you can get 10 mg. per kilo. Again, that is the only way you can get it that strong; (still only 1/10 the strength of the authentic article.) Staroplzensky, (a.k.a. Pilsner Lors), claims to have 9 mg.--big deal!--and you could probably get it cheaper there, but since it's one of the worst tasting liqueurs on the market, why bother?

By JoergGrohne on Monday, June 05, 2000 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Hi,

i've read BigMikes message and i've seen the prices he paid for czech absinth.

Terrible!!!

I could only tell you to go to Prague and buy/drink absinth there.

I will calculate in DM and he paid for a bottle of sebor 36 Pounds (= nearly 100 DM).

If you go to Prague and buy absinth there, you pay for a bottle of Hills (sold in the duty free shop of the airport) nearly DM 16,--. The Buyers guide tells a price of $40-$55 (=DM 120 - DM 160).

The Buyers Guide tells a price for Staroplzensky Absinth of $59,99 via mail order (=120 DM). For my czech friend who buys this absinth for me i have to pay DM 15,--.

You see, that you pay for czech absinth, if you buy it by mail order, up to the 10th of the price in Czechia. And i don't think that the costs for the transport of the absinth costs this amount of money...

Fly to Prague, drink and buy, and, don`t pay this prices for mail order absinth. Prague is a loveley town, another reason to go there..

yours Jörg

By Artemis on Sunday, June 04, 2000 - 07:03 am: Edit

Checks:

Okay, great - I have all the Zaps; I just haven't looked at them for a while. It should have occurred to me that absinthe would be featured in those twisted tales, but I had no memory of it!! I do remember the Checkered Demon entering a tavern and ordering porter and a scone of "sour dark rye", then trading it all to a pirate for a pair of brass buttons. Thanks for the reference - I'll definitely re-acquaint myself with Zap #4.

A.

By checkereddemon on Saturday, June 03, 2000 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Artemis:
I enjoy all of S.Clay Wilson's work ,in fact, the first time I encountered the word "absinthe" was in a tale entitled "A Ball in the Bung Hole "from Zap#4 back in 1969.
Later, Checks

By Artemis on Saturday, June 03, 2000 - 09:30 am: Edit

Checkered Demon:

Do you like all of S. Clay Wilson's comics, or are you just partial to our checkered friend?

Artemis

By checkereddemon on Friday, June 02, 2000 - 07:36 pm: Edit

my first experience with la fee verte tonight(Lasala and deva) thank you all so much for your contributions to this site. I have waited 30 yrs. to taste this stuff. Thank you spiritscorner.com. As an amateur herbalist I have noted that a lot of the toxic effects attributed to wormwood(and absinthe of old) seem more attributable to Wormseed.Does anyone know if the old recipes for distillation contained wormseed( artemisia cina)?

By Jessica on Friday, May 26, 2000 - 04:47 am: Edit

I come from Spain and I would like to know where can I get some absenthy ( good one, please ).

By Fredie (152.163.213.64 - 152.163.213.64) on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 12:33 am: Edit

Try back home!
(and bring me back a bottle)
-Fredie

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation