Have airplane, will travel, but where?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Have airplane, will travel, but where?
By Midas on Sunday, August 27, 2000 - 02:49 am: Edit

Right, that's it. Where do you live!?! I have a small present for you...

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Justin, who are you? Just wondering because we have the same name...are you really my dreaded alter-ego..

-J

By Justin on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Torch Relay!

By Midas on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 11:15 pm: Edit

That's true james, but just be thankful you're not here now, having to put up with 24 hour "only a month til the Olympics!" propaganda. I'm going to shoot the next person who mentions the torch relay.

By james on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Dear Midas,
The exchange rate you Ozzies are now experiencing does indeed suck. But look on this bright side, you are living in one of the most fascinating cities in the world. I had the great pleasure of spending 30 days in Sydney in 1998. I stayed with a friend in her apartment about a 10-minute walk from the Opera House. The harbor, the Royal Botanical Garden, and especially the beer, are all very fond memories. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the very beautiful and tall women.

take care,
j.

By Midas on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 10:31 am: Edit

Sometimes living here in Sydney really blows. At the moment, given the current exchange rate, plus our new shite tax system, I am paying Aus $130 a bottle for Deva from spiritscorner.com. Mind you, I factor it into my budget. Rent, travel expenses, food, absinthe, electricity bill...

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 11:06 am: Edit

I say fly to Amsterdam, take a train to the Hague, settle down in a quaint little coffeehouse, and smoke some nice, fresh Thai stick... or maybe Laotian. If you're going to go thousands of miles to get high on something, make it something you can't get here. You can get absinthe delivered to your door for $30 a bottle. (I often consider doing this, and I can't even afford it. But, if you're looking for a freeloading travel companion...)

K.

By Don Walsh on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 04:41 am: Edit

Un;ess you have close friends with connections in Neuchatel -- forget trying to buy La Bleue as a tourist in Switzerland.

Lots of tourists try this and end up paying $50 for a bottle of Pernod Blanc or some other anisette or pastis, which has been transferred to an unmarked wine bottle and marked up 1000% for the unwary.

By tabreaux on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that if you fly to Barcelona, you can walk up to Spirits Corner and get the Spanish stuff for $10-15 per liter, which is good enough to whet your appetite. Barcelona sounds nice about this time of year.

By tabreaux on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 09:54 pm: Edit

$200 sounds like a lot for a bottle of liquor, but you have to consider that aside from free flights, you'll certainly spend more than that in getting to and roaming the western Swiss countryside in search of absinthe. It isn't legal there, and those who make it don't publicize their bootlegging activities. Unless you have an arrangement made with someone in advance, you may very well come up with nothing. Even if you do find it, you'll probably pay at least $40-50 for a liter.

Unless you plan to make a vacation out of it (as opposed to a low-budget search attempt), I'd suggest either ordering a bottle of La Bleue, or spending less on a lesser Spanish grade (e.g. Deva) for starters.

By Bob Chong on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 09:47 pm: Edit

http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/absinthe-guide.html

By Marc on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 09:27 pm: Edit

krystofa

Check out the Buyer's Guide. It's part of this site.

By Krystofa on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am new to this. I have my antique sets, I have done my research, I am convinced and ready, but I do not have a bottle. I know it is available through local sources for $100 to $200 a bottle, but I don't have that much disposable income. What I do have are flight benefits (I work for a major airline) allowing me to fly anywhere in the world nine times a year.

If someone could be so kind as to tell me where I can go and what I would do to bring back the goods? What is good and how much is it (from what I gather the Swiss La Blue is preferred)?

Thank you for your time

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation