Has anyone tried this place?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Has anyone tried this place?
By Don Walsh on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Well, you needn't spend $40K US to make a little for yourself, I can't speak to the legal issues since I dunno where you are. You could do it for $400 or $4000, the more you spend (if you spend it right) the faster and more convenient it is. All this assumes you know HOW to make it. On balance -- unless you enjoy a long learning curve, you are better off buying than making it yourself. If you are in USA, rest assured that while Customs seems not to care about a few bottles of absinthe sliding in, ATF really does get irate about home stills. There's more than one way to get burned in this game.

By Bob Chong on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Thanks for the heads-up. I thought a home distillery would be worth trying, but your advice has dissuaded me. I suppose I need get $40+K and move to Thailand, eh? ;-)

By pikkle on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 01:40 pm: Edit

All I know is I just ran out of absinthe and I wish I had some more right now... any in fact. I'd even drink Lasala... er, maybe not.

By Don Walsh on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 04:23 am: Edit

Dear Bob Chong

Some unsolicited advice. DON'T order one of those NZ 'stills' if your intention is absinthe making. They are designed (and poorly in my opinion) for making alcohol out of mash, NOT making absinthe. The two processes are only superficially similar. In one instance it's a (preferably fractional) distillation of a very low alcohol content mash (more or less like beerr and it has its own set of problems, but doing that in a plastic or aluminum or steel pot with an electric heating element (a la NZ) is relatively safe...not safe enough for me, but relatively.

Absinthe making involves simple distillation of VERY HIGH ALCOHOL CONTENT steeps, the steeps are highly flammable at ALL stages of the preparation. The vapors are highly flammable (read: explosive). Doing this from a direct electric heating element would be sort of like shaking sweaty dyamite. I wouldn't advise it.

There are no safe, low rent methods of distilling such high proof spirits. You either do it like a pro, or if you want to avoid burning to death, you don't do it. That's my advice.

As for those who think I am a self appointed smart ass: guys, know what I do all day every day? I make absinthe. There may be some people on the Forum who make absinthe as a hobby, and doubtless many of them having been so doing longer than I have. However, I do this full time. As an occupation. as a professional.

There are things I can talk about and things I can't. Sometimes I am damned by some people for what I can't say. And now I am being damned by some other people for what I do say. Why can't you people make up your minds?

:) ^

By Marc on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 12:57 am: Edit

arturo ui

Stop lurking and please inject some of your desperately needed yin energy into the forum.

I just went and shaved, put on some patchouli
and brushed my hair. Knowing that you may be lurking around here has already improved my grooming.

By arturo ui on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 10:28 pm: Edit

anatomist wrote:
I too have wondered, along with Marc, why there aren't more women on this forum. And I
think Marc's questions contain the answer. How many women do you know that sit around
having heated debates about who's _____ is better than who's, and how much it cost, that
quickly degenerate into name calling? We might as well be talking big-block Chevys and
Holly carbs.

precisely, it's that mercenary tone that's driven me to limit my
involvement to lurking here, and most of the time it just feels
like the bickering aftermath of a minor car accident. of course i
don't presume to speak for any other women here. sad to say, but
the only thing that seems to have motivated me to post this year, as rarely as i
have, is my occasional aggravation with j's command of english.
i can be such a petty bitch at times ;)

By bluedog1 on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Uh, guys (since we have paltry few women here save Lady Bettina and the website Goddess Kallisti) I vote for a return to the Belle Epoch, vice WWII.

I could give two craps who has the best price or who claims their version of bleue, verte, o rouge is better. We each have our sources, and personally I'm happy with mine. If you are not happy, email around and find a source you like -- this site lists all the good ones. The only advertisement I want to see is the kind like Robette -- artistic, subdued, and pleasant to view.

My wish list is to taste them all, good and bad, and keep a tasting diary like I do with wines and good restaurants. If you retailers want to do something constructive, find a way to make absinthe brand samplers -- a pack of a variety of brands packed in small bottles, just the size for one or two drinks. That's my fantasy.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to a glass, a cube, a spoon, and some cool water to reflect on the culture of why I am an absinthe drinker. I fold. Your deal....

By Don Walsh on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Twas just dutch-uncle advice, not mud. You have my warm regards as always.

As to lurker, I think B. was setting you up to be her fourth known multiple personality case (and third personal diagnosis). However, my advice to both of you stands. You are best out of this thread for your own sakes. 'Pour l'encouragement des autres' as well.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I too have wondered, along with Marc, why there aren't more women on this forum. And I think Marc's questions contain the answer. How many women do you know that sit around having heated debates about who's _____ is better than who's, and how much it cost, that quickly degenerate into name calling? We might as well be talking big-block Chevys and Holly carbs.

I have tried several times to start up conversations about dreams, philosophy, etc... These threads have been largely ignored by the regulars, and even engendered personal insults by illiterate interlopers.

Interesting... as much as everyone seems to be trying to wash their hands of this purportedly unpleasant thread, it is the most explosively popular one I have seen yet on this forum. Dirt sells, but those who are dishing it are out of my price range, so it seems merely a neutral passing oddity to me.

By WIZ on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 11:59 am: Edit

Thats the reason I sold absinthe at twenty five bucks for a three finger shot. No problem that I see there, especially when bars sell shots of scotch whiskey for eighteen dollars per ounce.

By Bob Chong on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 08:47 am: Edit

Marc wrote a very interesting observation:

I think it's about time that we all ask ourselves the following questions: ...Why have we become more interested in the business end of the absinthe ...?

This is a great question. I can only anwer for myself: even I have been guilty of thinking a lot about the business end of things. When I started looking around at the vendors, it made me wonder, "Well, if vendor X sells a bottle of Deva for $120, what's stopping *me* from buying from Spirits Corner for $30 and selling them for $60? That way, I get my absinthe for free."

I think it was a case, for me, of that old "head-stash dealer" mentality. It had been long dormant in me, and it didn't take much to wake it up. I think I'll lull it back to sleep, though.

Unless I end up mail-ordering one of those stills from New Zealand...j/k.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 07:59 am: Edit

I really don't understand why all the mud is being slung at me. Betina, I wrote you an E-mail trying to take any problems we may have with each other off the message board and I quote fro my e-mail, "This has all gotten stupid and out of hand. Listen, let's call it a truce. I have no ills against you or your products."

I am sorry that you want to continue all of this, but I have E-mailed lurker (who is a friend of mine in Tupelo named Daivd, who is zealous and psycho) and told him to chill out.

I still don't see how I have insulted you at all. Please if you have an issue with me personally take it out on my e-mail address,not here.

Forgive me for making this thread go on Kallisti!

By Marc on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:15 am: Edit

the first line of my last post reads more sarcastically then I intended. I'm happy to see you, you phat phuk.

By Marc on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:02 am: Edit

I never thought I'd say this, but, it's good to see you.

I think it's about time that we all ask ourselves the following questions:

What attracted us to absinthe in the first place?

Why have we become more interested in the business end of the absinthe culture while ignoring the prosaic and the magic aspects?

And why aren't there more women in this forum? Have we unintentionally made the green fairy butch? Has the stench of testosterone overwhelmed
the floral notes of absinthe and hyssop?

By Don Walsh on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 02:43 am: Edit

Up pops the devil.

Actually I am appalled by this thread, and am sorry that it seems I helped precipitate it. My pointing out the unethical statements on a Franco-Suisse site, was NOT intended to be a license for all and sundry to behave like idiotic children. Pls grow up, or if you have already, ACT like it.

Betina and Justin, you have done your own reputations far more damage in this thread than the smarmy francophone site ever could have done. Please cease and desist.

lurker, whoever you are (and I have my own guesses to keep to myself) kindly don't drag Ted and myself into this slanging match. It is emeaning and disgusting.

By Marc on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 02:32 am: Edit

Betty and Justin,

you both have to work on your writing skills.
Your lingo is wacko.

Where the fuk is Don?

By Marc on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 01:58 am: Edit

The internet can empower us... for the good or the bad. It can magnify neurosis or beauty. The internet can make us bigger assholes than we already are... or it can be a tool for raising consciousness. I opt for getting high.

By Betina on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 01:40 am: Edit

I stand by my words. Justin/Lurker/one and the
same..you mis-spell alike.

1. You have sent me no customers. I told that
inquirer who did NOT buy absinthe from me to tell
you my words. And I meant them.

2. You are a master of phony e-mails..like
pretending to be English royalty several weeks ago
and ridiculing me along with attempting to get me
to name my sources until somebody was able to
decipher your e-mail address.

3.Justin, why are you 18 or is it 19 now and
selling liquor at all?

4.You are a liar, you did change the name of your
absinthe, you have no scientific evidence of
thujone amount (nobody does). Then you e-mail me
privately offering to sell your Swiss absinthe to
me! Three of my regular customers have received
unsolicited offers from you requesting them to buy
your absinthe. How low do you go for business....

By Marc on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 12:09 am: Edit

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 10:56 pm: Edit

I do concur. We are all civilized here, and since we comprise what is undoubtedly the most knowledgable group on the web with respect to this subject, I think we should all behave decently and make this place a center for discussion rather than personal rubbish.

By Marc on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 10:24 pm: Edit

good enough. I think we've run this rather unpleasent subject into the ground. Let's all have a toast, a sip of the green fairy and move on.

"Money changes everything".

The Brains

By lurker on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I stand by my post...

Here is my e-mail I forgot to put it on there before

have at it.

And Marc, I don't wish anyone ill..but if Betina is so upright then why did she tell me in an E-mail that "Belle Epoch's la bleue is bitter and primitive to the palate", and that "belle epoch is a lier" and that his product is inferior to hers...I got this after he referred me to her for some la bleue after I had sampled his in trying to get a better all around feel for the drink..

sounds like the saint is not quite so...

now I return to the lurking from whence I came..if you want to carry this on further do so im my E-mail box.

Sorry to clutter your fine forum Kallisti.

By tabreaux on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Personally, I think it is great that Betina can generate a following for a quality product, despite the high cost. It simply proves that there are people out there who want something better than the commercial offerings, and some are willing to pay for the difference. I don't care much for the bickering about La Bleue. La Bleue can be a shitty product, or a good one, depending on where it came from. Buy what you like from whom you like and be content.

While I find the comments below to be all of complimentary, amusing, and possibly abrasive to some, I want to say that I do not agree with nor condone any hype or speculation of the upcoming products. Hype is a bad thing, and I don't want to be victimized by it.

Now, as far as any 'prototypes' and such, let me make it clear that no one on this planet has tasted the final product aside from myself. That is about all I have to offer on this subject.

By Marc on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 08:16 pm: Edit

I was not singling you out. I was commenting on the general tone of this thread.

"you guys don't know what is brewing"

"have your fun for now"

"find a new spirit to deal in"

lurker, why the boasts and the threats?
Belle Epoch and Bettina (as well as U.K. La Boheme) have many satisfied customers. Why wish them ill will?

lurker, who are you? Don't be a coward. Come out of your closet and join the rest of us.

Ted, how do feel about your name appearing in lurker's post? Surely you don't agree with his meanspirited comments?

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 07:54 pm: Edit

I agree Marc and will take care of this outside of the forum. But if you can Marc mail me with the specifics of the "greed, pettiness, and mistrust".

of the Competitivness, that is just the nature of the beast..I just don't see how I insulted (second guessed, sorry!) Betina or her products, I actually reccommend people to her often and have spoken good words here on the fourm about them...as for the lurkers post I have no say over it..that was his thoughts not mine.

Sorry about the puerlie attitude everyone

By Marc on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 07:22 pm: Edit

This is the absinthe forum at it's worst. From what one can gather here, absinthe drinking leads
to greed, competitivness, pettiness and mistrust.
It's a fucking shame.

I am eagerly awaiting Ted and Don's absinthe. I thank Bettina for being the first person to introduce me to La Bleue. I have enjoyed the intellectual musings of Don Walsh, Ted, anatomist, artemis, Mr. Wormwood, billynorm and many more. But, the pissing contest that is taking place in this thread disappoints me. Wherever and however you obtain absinthe and how much you pay for it, is your business. This wheeling, dealing and insult slinging is odious.

For the record, I don't know what numbers of La Bleue I've drunk. Ask me if I care.

By lurker on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Note from a Lurker::

I have tired about 20 different absinthes from Prague to Spain to Switzerland and back and you guys don't know what is brewing..

I had the chance to sit down with justin and mr breaux a few weeks ago and got to taste a proto-type of the new absinthe(s) they are making.

The rest can have their fun for now but a word of advice for Betina, Radomil, and the rest--

Find a new spirit to deal in...this one is about to be taken..and if the price they told me was final then I may be buying 3-4 bottles for the price of 1 bleue from that oh so special gypsy...

congrats on the sealed bottle and let me know if Steve has anymore sealed bottles..

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 04:21 pm: Edit

1. I have been sampled over 10 bleues, blancs, blanches, laits, fees, and every other name they come up with to call it and in verte, extra verte, blanc ,and extra blanc all from both sides of the Jura Mountains..they are all essentially the same...8 or so herbs of which you can taste 3-4..thrown in a vat (coloring herbs too) and distilled..

2. maybe, maybe not...with a 30,000 FF fine they like to remain discreet and I don't ask questions but some of them claim to have worked with American, even one that was at the festival In Boveresse...

3. You are flying all they way to England for La Fee? That is effort

In a bit virtual vintage Pernod will be delivered to anyone's doorstep, that is why I am not riding the swiss countryside and for la bleue sources or even wholesale buying la fee...it just isn't worth it now to be buying stock in inferior absinthes

By joepublic on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 04:05 pm: Edit

I have tried 6 different la bleue absinthes from various sources including betina, chrysippvs,and isuisse.com, and betinas #2 is my favorite.

By Betina on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 03:19 pm: Edit

I am truly weary of Belle Epoch stating facts
which are usually lies and omissions about me and
my products:

1.All La Bleues are not similiar..I have tested 7
and rejected 4.
2.Justin has tried none of my present sources.
3.La Fee is not $150 a bottle ordered from me. I
am sure he is not
"considering" my source as I am going to England
to obtain it myself!

Betina Elixirs..

By Artemis on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 03:01 pm: Edit

I almost forgot - what it's "worth" is what you're willing to pay.

By Artemis on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 02:59 pm: Edit

I don't want to speak for Betty - anybody who's interested can do what I did and ask her, but the price she is asking for La Fee is substantially less than $150 a bottle.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Yes, but at what price...it is not worth anymore than the Spanish and she is probably getting it the same way I was going to..and at that rate it would be atleast 150 a bottle retail..

By Marc on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 01:30 pm: Edit

From what I understand, Bettina is offering La Fee Absinthe.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 12:47 pm: Edit

I got to try La Fee the other day via Ted and I must say it is pretty good. Much more round in the mouth compared to the Spanish. It has a strange produce taste I am not too fond of..very much like Sebor. All in all it is nice, but not worth to much more than the Spanish. I am considering carrying it but I doubt I will in lieu of the upcoming debut of the new product..

By Marc on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Perhaps it is the same person. I did not contact him, he contacted me.

Regarding Bettina, I know she has several sources. I have tried 2 varieties of La Bleue
from her. Both were very good.

I am looking forward to trying La Fee Absinthe
and Ted and Don's.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 12:01 pm: Edit

I spoke to him and he said that he sold to a nightclub owner in New York and "there was no problems, good deals in US." so I think it is the same guy. Not down his product it is nice, somewhat antiseptic and heavy on the star anise (cheap in other words). It has a nice louche and has a slightly blue tint to it in the bottle. It reminds me of the Spanish Segarra except without that odd bitterness...

I think he wants 120 a bottle, which is not bad at all, but I am not sure his rep and I don't think he replaces broken bottles..but all this aside I would just contact him...

Take care,

By Marc on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 10:33 am: Edit

I am not familiar with the "La Bleue" being sold through that website. As far as I know, the person that I have dealt with in the past does not have a website. I have never paid $70 a bottle. It was $80, with a 12 bottle minimum, paid in advance.

I do not endorse any website or seller. I state the facts, as I know them, for the sake of open discussion.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 08:26 am: Edit

I have had his product before. It is very heavy on the star anise and was one of Betina's first la bleue contacts. It is a nice product although the guy is kinds of shady, I have never used his site to order from. phewwww 70 dollars a bottle...

I would go to Betina or myself before him, I think his is 120 per bottle, mine is only 30 dollars more and is somewhat more round in the mough if I may say-so myself. But Betina also has some good la Bleues for around 200 a bottle, I have had many of her sources and they are all generally the same...as all la bleues are more or less the same..

all a matter of where you want to go.

take care

By Don Walsh on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 07:41 am: Edit

Dear Bob

I think maybe this is the fellow who sells to Marc (any comments Marc?)

If so, Marc speaks well of him and says he gets bottles for $70 each in qty 12. I think that is including shipping.

On the other hand, I find this guy's website text smarmy and offensive. He claims to have the 'real' La Bleue and accuses some US websites of offering only 'fake' La Bleue.

Many people on this Forum can attest that the two US sites selling LB that I know of, both listed in the Buyers Guide here, are reputable sellers and are offering bona fide La Bleue.

This mudslinging approach is reminiscent of the Sebor wars (wherein two distributors claim to have the only 'real' Sebor absinthe).

Contemptible business practice, and on that basis I wouldn't do business with this fellow.

But then, I get my LB the way God intended: from friends. LB is NOT a monolithic product, anyone can print the famous (computer printed) label and get some used 1 liter wine bottles. So one must get LB from a trusted friend with a proven source.

By Bob Chong on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 11:00 pm: Edit

This place:
offers a version of La Bleue. Anyone try it? What's it like? How are the prices? Service?

Just wondering.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation