Versinthe, Aqualanca, Ambiosis, and more

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Versinthe, Aqualanca, Ambiosis, and more
By Bob Chong on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 08:20 am: Edit

Thanks. I saw it mentioned in the guide but was hoping for a little more info. (which I got).

BC

By Absintheur on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 07:54 am: Edit

Versinthe is addressed in the guide (very shortly), it is, in fact, a simulated absinthe, the "wormwoods" in question are artemesia pontica and "artemesia versinthe," a newer strain which is said to grow only in Aix en Provence.

It's an excellent drink, but not absinthe. I recommend it highly, very fresh and clear tasting.

Versinthe will be distributed by Conquistador Importers, in Burlingame, some time this year, they were intially hoping to have it on shelves by June, but the process is being held up by FDA label approval.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 05:05 am: Edit

Bob, be careful. They are dancing around the terminology. "Two wormwoods" does not mean A.absinthium. It can mean Roman wormwood (A.pontica) and/or 'petite wormwood'. These sound like ersatz absinthoid liqueurs in the unfortunate tradition of Trenet, Pere Karman and Absente. FAKE. Nothing but pastis.

If it ain't absinthium it ain't absinthe.

By Bob Chong on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Can anyone tell me about these three?

from http://perso.wanadoo.fr/liquoristerie-provence/indexgb.htm

Versinthe is a unique drink, combining the freshness of two wormwoods, and gently softening their bitterness with infusions and alcoholates of more than twenty different plants and roots.

This blend of wormwoods is combined with a gentian infusion and a maceration of over twenty plants to give an elegant and refined drink that perfectly balances bitterness, freshness and subtlety. It is 45% proof.

Versinthe is not a Pastis but its noble ancestor. According to tradition, the elegant flavours of this spirit are enhanced if cold water is gently poured over a sugar cube placed on an Absinthe spoon. But purists prefer to drink straight Versinthe diluted six to ten times with pure water and crushed ice.

Its freshness, sharpened with a bitter taste, makes it the most inspiring of aperitifs. Both strong and smooth, Versinthe recalls the moods of the literary cafés Procope and Florian.

---------------

The recipe for Aqualanca

The recipe for Aqualanca is inspired by 18th and 19th century recipes for aniseed-flavoured liqueurs such as Fenolheta, a liqueur from Aix-en-Provence made from fennel and wormwood.

Aqualanca contains little liquorice or exotic spice. Our macerations and alcoholate-based products are made using local plants, such as fennel, aneth, coriander, verbena, peppermint and wormwood, as well as Piedmont achilles.
-------------
The recipe for Ambiosis is like the one for Pastis, but using only ingredients that are grown ORGANICALLY.

Our macerations of organically-grown plants - aniseed, leaves of wormwood, flowering tips of mint and achilles, and liquorice wood - give Ambiosis its incomparable freshness and flavour.
------------
Plus there are two wormwood mascerated wines listed.

I sent them an email for purchase info. I'll post when I receive a reply.

BC

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation