Archive through July 31, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Trenet Absinthe: The real or just another imitation?:Archive through July 31, 2000
By Dengar on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 05:19 am: Edit

"[...] how close it to the real Absinthe."

It's pretty far from the best modern labels, and pretty far from the old ones as well (if you ask someone like Ted who has tried it).

This beeing said, I find the taste of it pretty ok. Nothing special but on the other hand not terrible either. It's similiar in taste with Pere Kermann, but Trenet tastes better.

By Matt Jackson on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 04:53 pm: Edit

I wouldn't even call it a pastis. Just vague alcoholic green gunk, similar to Hapsburg but with a bit less alcohol (60%ABV/120 proof).
At least I only spent three pounds on this, thank goodness for miniatures. I bought some Pere Kermann at the same time. Ditto. Very likely the same stuff in a different bottle. At least I restocked my Mari Mayans on the same trip.

By tabreaux on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 02:52 pm: Edit

This is a pastis. FWIW, I have yet to taste a pastis which anything like the original absinthes I've tried.

As far as the lighting of the sugar cube thing. This is something the Czechs made up, probably to distract the consumer from the fact that their "absinth' does not louche.

By Xochipilli on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 01:49 pm: Edit

I would like to know if anybody on this forum has tried Trenet's absinthe. What are your thoughts on it and how close it to the real Absinthe. What's with the lighting of the sugar cube and dropping it in the glass anyway?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation