Hemmingway + Montana

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Hemmingway + Montana
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through September 1, 2000  15   09/01 11:38am

By lurker on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 09:07 pm: Edit

I also have a Marge Simpson doll up my ass.

By lurker on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 08:53 pm: Edit

No I have P.A. on my dick

By Black Rabbit on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 05:52 am: Edit

Thanks Mr Wormwood :)

Better a laugh than a snarl, anyway (too much of that goes on round here.)

Like Lurker for instance: Lurker (I think- sorry if it ain't the case, but it will serve for an example) does these things to get a rise out of us, to see how we will react. If we just *wouldn't* react, Lurker would go back to actually lurking, or go to a Satanist newsgroup and tell them all to find Jesus or something. Rather than our anger, we should give the Lurkmeister our pity. Imagine yourself so bored or lonely or unimaginative as to be stuck in front of your computer, poking at distant egos with a sharp type-written stick to see if they growl.

It will be interesting to see if the troll phenomenon will ever pass or if it will be a permanent feature of the net. Will it be like prank calling, which has faded away over the years?

Hey Lurker- do you have Prince Albert in a can?

By Mr. Wormwood on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 05:02 am: Edit

Black Rabbit

That post about "Edgar Allen Poo" was just too funny.

I read the other Poo's books over and over to my daughter every night.

There is always something on this forum to make you laugh. I guess that why absintheurs don't go insane and kill themselves anymore.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, September 03, 2000 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Yeah, I think you need to reexamine the evidence, Mike. I admit that on one thread I called a couple of people "ninnies" and implied what you come right out and command -- namely that some people should leave the forum. In my defense, these people were personally insulting me and comparing me to a serial killer. Nevertheless, I was wrong to suggest people be removed/remove themselves from the forum. It's not the answer; it's not my place, nor is it yours.

I cut my intellectual teeth on Nietzsche, Socrates, the Beats, Rimbaud, Jim Morrison, Tom Robbins, the Surrealists, etc... people of intense passion who never shied away from controversy or a good argument.

Good arguments lead to clear thinking, and open up new possibilities. They clear away the crap and make room for the good stuff. Now, good arguments can involve agression and anger without degenerating into personal insults. The trick is keep your mind on the subject of the debate and let your feelings fuel your thoughts.

In my experience, there are many people who either don't subscribe to this account of "good" arguments, don't understand what a given argument is really about, or are simply too emotionally fragile to withstand this kind of rough play. These people rapidly switch from argumentation to name-calling and personal insults.

Now, personal insults are just words. As Marc pointed out, relatively uninteresting words... probably not of interest to anyone except perhaps the insultee. As such, private email seems a more appropriate vehicle for them. Insults are also commonly used as a challenge to a physical confrontation, except when they are issued from secure, anonymous hiding places...

So, I'll make the same offer to you, Mike, that I made to Lurker. If you hate me and my opinions so much that you feel compelled to exceed the limits of civilized discourse to express that hatred, grab a plane ticket and come on down to Madison. There's a boxing gym six blocks from my house. We'll strap on a pair of boxing gloves and have it out. Otherwise, stop anonymously lying about me and telling me what to do on a public forum. It's cowardly, boring, and embarrassing.

K.

By Marc on Sunday, September 03, 2000 - 04:53 pm: Edit

b mike

Anatomist's posts are always literate and thought-provoking. An absinthe forum is a place for radical points of view. It would be boring if we all agreed. To disagree is not the same as "flaming". Your telling anatomist to "go somewhere
else and play" is a flame. Is it not? There's room for all kinds of folks in the forum. Anatomist's posts are generally interesting to read. Which is more than I can say about your last post.

By Mike on Sunday, September 03, 2000 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Anatomist1 you can dish it out, but you can't take it when someone flame you. After reading post here on this fourm you have most aggressive tone in majority of them. This the third revision of Absinthe Fourm since it start. you come on board and you have flame about 75% of people who post here. I have read the post since the first fourm and you are worst of all, go somewhere else and play. you not nice person.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation