Let me introduce myself....

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Let me introduce myself....
By Don Walsh on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 09:16 am: Edit

Dear Black Rabbit

Martha just had the good taste to pick an antique dealer who hangs with Ted.

Trent R. needs an intro to Ted, that's all.

I happen to be fond of the name Midori for my own reasons, but not, especially, of the Suntory melon liqueur that bears the name -- which simply means 'Green' in Japanese. It's also a 'cute' girl's name in Japan and among Japanese elsewhere...

By Black Rabbit on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 05:46 am: Edit

Damn. So Martha Stewart rates the green fairy, but ol' Trent is reduced to Midori? Trent from New Orleans?

Golly. Sex Drugs, rock and roll... but no Absinthe. No wonder he's so depressed. I mean, if you were a rock star, and Martha Stewart had cooler parties than you, wouldn't you write a song like 'hurt'? ;-)

By Mr. Wormood on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 04:56 am: Edit

I am not a big fan of MTV etc. I first saw the Nine Inch Nail video on my computer. I downloaded it after someone told me it was absinthe based. I like it on it own merits.

I later read an interview with Trent Reznor in which he said the video was shot with Midori melon liquor.

By Yvonne on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Chong--You've got it. :)

By Yvonne on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:30 pm: Edit

I've noticed that there are various absinthe related books listed on this webpage. It looks like a lot of lore and not may facts. What titles in particular, if any, should I look for to find the most comprehensive info regarding different countries methods of production, it's side effects, and long term health risks, etc. in addition to it's history? (basically something that can illustrate the differences between what's fact and what's propaganda.)

By Marc on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:25 pm: Edit

When it comes to the "dark stuff" in rock and roll, my favorites are The Velvet Undergound,
Nick Cave, P.J Harvey, Killing Joke, The Stranglers, Johnny Dowd and Rammstein.

In film: Murnau, Lynch, Argento, Bava, Jean Rollin and David Fincher.

By Bob Chong on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Yvonne--I guess this means that you're not mad as hell and aren't going to take this anymore? ;-)

BC

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 12:47 pm: Edit

It's not so much that I set out with a category "dark" and then try to fit things into it. The categorization happens afterwards. Such compartmentalizing seems to have analytical value sometimes, insofar as I feel like indulging in the pleasures of analysis... basically when there's nothing better to do, or I can't stop my mental machinations. I don't watch music videos or television commercials, and I am usually unwilling to pay $13+ for a CD I don't already have a reasonable expectation of enjoying. If most of the good NIN stuff hasn't hit the radio, then I haven't heard it.

K.

By Yvonne on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Anatomist1, sorry if it appears as I'm comming down on you in that last post. Being opinionated is the quirk that doesn't always add to my charm :)

By Yvonne on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 11:14 am: Edit

"The Perfect Drug" video is stunning. Unlike Anatomist1, I don't have a preference as to how I like my "darkness". Infact, to me it seems silly just thinking of that statement. The feeling I get is that NIN doesn't go into it with the intention of making "horror-syle music". (another allusion-"He's articulating the popular rage") But I can see how someone with preconceptions because of media representations could perceive it as such by glossing over the albums. I'm not trying to sell anyone one NIN but the music has given me a lot of pleasure over the years and I enjoy keeeping company with others who can experience this kind pleasure as well. As far as Gorey goes, his work is another share-able pleasure. Black Rabbit was my window into Gorey. (Ask him about his tattoo). I know it's typical but The Gashlycrumb Tinies are my favorite.

--Chong, all is for given if you can tell me what movie I've alluded to this time. Need a hint?

By Bob Chong on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 10:10 am: Edit

Again, you've got me all wrong. Black Rabbit is the one who stated, explicitly, that you were looking for a non-commercial outlet. I was the one who, from the beginning, believed that you were looking for bars and such. Your original post illustrated that perfectly, you did absolutely nothing wrong. So my latest post was not a rationalization (or "need to rationalize"), but a refutation of Black Rabbit's interpretation. Anyway, this really has nothing to do with anything.

Sorry, sorry, a thousand times sorry. I hope you have a great trip to N.O. October is really beautiful there, and you'll have a 100% chance of seeing some wonderful music.

BC

p.s. Here's one for you: [talking] with you is really a Kafka-esque experience.

By Yvonne on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 09:23 am: Edit

Interesting. Through your need to rationalize to us the meaning in that post, you've made it appear as though I came here looking for a hand-out. This discussion forum is after all, contributed to by people who have a greater knowledge of absinthe than most. (at least greater than my own) And since one of the many things New Orleans is known for are it's absinthe bars, it seemed logical that people on this page would have the best reccomendations. I thought my original post illustrated that fairly well. If my naivete has offended anyone, I do apologize.
In any case, I've read previous posts from Ted. He has represented himself as being knowledgeable, personable and charming. His invitation, a pleasant surprise, is welcomed and if he can be compared as the "Paul Prudehomme" of the asbinthe world, then I'm positive my visit there will be all the more pleasurable.

BTW--Chong, at least we have good taste in movies in common.

By Bob Chong on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 10:20 pm: Edit

"And Jeeze, Bob Chong- she wasn't looking for it in a liquor store for pete's sake. That's why she posted to the in crowd of the absinthe world :-)"

Sorry 'bout that. The way it was written originally, my interpretatation sounded reasonable. But I am wrong quite often (many times a day, I'm certain). Anyway, if I had posted on a food board that "I'm planning a vacation to New Orleans at the end of October and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest where I could find the best [oyster po-boy] the city has to offer," it would
seem to most folks that I am asking for a commercial outlet for such an item. I wouldn't be holding my breath that Paul Prudhomme is inviting me over to his house for lunch. ;-)

BTW--Yvonne, nice Annie Hall allusion.

BC

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:42 pm: Edit

You should see NIN's video "The perfect Drug" Absinthe and Gorey...can't beat that at all...

By Anatomist1 on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I've always felt a certain draw toward Gorey, but only recently did I acquire any material to check out thoroughly. I got Amphigorey, and Amphigorey Also. Right now, my favorite is "The Doubtful Guest". I think Gorey is overlooked because all his work is so small. One of my first priorities when I get my new Photoshop computer up is to do some hi-res scans and make some of this stuff big enough to appreciate easily. I may do some web stuff, and possibly some guerilla mural postings downtown. I'll announce any significant development here.

Thanks for the compliments.

K.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 05:52 pm: Edit

E. Gorey is fantastic. I have tons of vintage first print posters of his including one of the Dracula plays with Frank Langella...he is fantasic and was personally mourned when he died...favorite work?

looks like we found common ground Anatomist..and BTW I am not a big fan of modern art at all, but I found your items very pleasing..I am no expert on the subject but I thought they were skillfully done indeed!

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Yvonne won't have to settle for Herbsaint. I should be around.

As for NIN, I ran into one of the band members recently here in N.O. (Mr. Reznor has a studio here), and we had a conversation about absinthe, as well as recent events with regard to absinthe.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Of course, it's all personal taste, but I like my darkness with more drama and less mechanism. To me there's something fatiguing about a computer rythym track (i.e., drum machine). It's missing those little inaccuracies that only live organisms can provide, and it makes me weary. Putting nineteenth century Germans aside, for me, good dark music started with the Doors, then Black Sabbath. I think the best horror-style music came from a little outfit called Bauhaus. Lately, Tool has been good for me. NIN just hasn't registered with me yet.

K.

Thanks Black Rabbit. BTW are y'all into E.Gorey?

By Yvonne on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:25 pm: Edit

I would have assumed by the fact that that you post here that you understand that some things are more of an acquired taste than others. My attraction to NIN is because I respect someone who perfers to evolve with his music rather than be in it for the buck. After all, I've outgrown the target marketing age range for MTV and gracefully so has NIN. You should give a listen to the Fragile.

By Black Rabbit on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, Anatomist1- maybe this will help. I never used to like that sort of music before, but one day I found myself grooving to the rhythm of a train going by- there is music in the squeal of tearing sheet metal, a certain beauty in the roar of a diesel engine... Skinny Puppy is very good for that sort of thing too (or Front Line Assembly and a million more.) Or hell, Throbbing Gristle.

But I guess if you worked in a factory, it might just remind you of work, which would suck I guess.

BTW, your scuplture kicks booty man.

By Black Rabbit on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Thanks for extending the invite to Yvonne Ted (she is a friend of mine :-)

And Jeeze, Bob Chong- she wasn't looking for it in a liquor store for pete's sake. That's why she posted to the in crowd of the absinthe world :-)

NIN is like any other music- if it gets your toes a-tappin, listen to it... Led Zeppelin is incredibly vapid, IMHO, but I still like it.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:03 pm: Edit

I am a big fan of NIN, have been for years. For me it is the grinding metallic crash I enjoy. It is a pleasant break for since I listen to the classic about 90% of the day...the rest is NIN mostly. Trent Reznor reminds me of a late 19th century composer..aligning the tradition notions of harmony and melody with the discordia of the modern age...and look at the varation in NIN..from "La Mer" (which is a Debussy take off) to "Big man with a Gun" the piercing variety of depression to salvation and back is always a good theme...

By Anatomist1 on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I actually just read a news story about how Ms. Stewart went ballistic on a limo full of tourists that came down her private drive. She screamed something about being sick of assholes invading her privacy and proceeded to detain them by wedging them in with her SUV. The limo driver - who claimed to have merely taken a wrong turn - called the police on his cell phone. Sounds like she scared the crap out of the guy. Beware the wrath of Martha! If she gets any meaner, I may become a fan.

By the way Yvonne, since we've got you here: what is the attraction of NIN anyway? I like loud music, I like dark music, but that stuff sounds like what I put foam in my ears to avoid hearing when I worked in a factory. And, the moods seem vapid and depressing, as opposed to sad or spooky. What gives?

K.

By Yvonne on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:20 pm: Edit

The only offense that was taken was to having my name use in the same post as Martha Stewart. Also, thank you again Ted, for extending to me the invitation. If you are in town I will indeed take you up on your offer. Alternatively, if you are not there, it looks like I will be sampling the herbsaint. Does anyone have suggestions on a brand?

By Yvonne on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:56 pm: Edit

No apologies necessary Chong. I love being reduced to an immature and overly obsessive cultural sterotype.

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 12:23 pm: Edit

You are right about that. If it's any consolation however, I didn't give it to her. It just ended up that way (to my surprise).

By Bob Chong on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 11:33 am: Edit

My point exactly. How many times do you think the Martha Stewarts of the world get free meals, drinks, etc.? My guess is, nearly always.

Chong

P.S. Belated apologies to Yvonne for the hyphenated stereotype in my last message.

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 10:58 am: Edit

Your point is a good one, but she didn't have to spend a dime to get that sample used for the show. It was gratuitous.

By Bob Chong on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 10:46 am: Edit

"Even Martha Stewart managed to find a taste..."

Why would you doubt that "even" Martha could get the good stuff? Her company is worth over a billion and a half dollars. Don't you think she has the resources to hunt down a drink, anywhere in the world? Do you think she has more power/resources/money/connections than some random-poster-college-chick-Trent-Reznor-fan?

Chong

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 10:21 am: Edit

Actually, the original bottles I've located to date were not found in New Orleans.

Secondly, the absinthe Martha Stewart 'found' in New Orleans was indeed a sample of my own, which I had given previously to the owner of the antique shop.

By Mr. Wormwood on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:16 am: Edit

No absinthe in New Orleans huh. Ted where did you find your bottles? I think you claim to have found 4 so far in that city.

Even Martha Stewart managed to find a taste of real absinthe, on her little trip to the "Big Easy" a while back.

Many people 100 years ago drank absinthe for its primary effect (it got you drunk), and it was cheap and effective at doing so (usually over 140 proof). If you were a poor drunk in Paris 100 years ago there was no better source of alcohol for the money.

Secondary effects are nice, but you don't hear Ouzo drinkers going on about the "secondary effects" of the aniseed. Although I'm sure they enjoy the stimulating effects and that is probably the reason they choose to drink Ouzo instead of vodka for example.

I know that aniseeds are probably considered "drugs" too by someone, just like coffee and cigarettes are. Like wormwood they are so far down on the scale they should be ignored and remain legal. I belive substances should be innocent until proven guilty.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 11:06 pm: Edit

"Absinthe has no secondary effects! Verlaine and Rimbaud drank it for the taste only!"

Trust me what drank had enough heavy metal and salts in it to cause a myriad of poisoness affects...a few centimes a glass..the next time I change my oil I am going to steep some wormwood and anise seed in it and send it to anyone wanting "The real absinthe experience"

I love this forum..it reminds me of a greek Comedy mixed with MTV's The Real World..I am happy to know I am in the company of such a myriad of mentally ill people..

By jkk on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Anarcho-anatomist#1,
You know, I could go blind trying to tell the difference between Anatomist1 and Anatomisti, at least on my computer screen. If those Italian fashions look good on you, flaunt them! (Only the final i in Italian indicates a plural--like s in English.) By the way, do real anarchists want to get registered? Seems to me that would interfere with their freedom. Most Democrats don't seem to mind that so much, I guess! Only mentioned my registering because 1) Last month a canvasser did come around to register voters and I agreed to sign up, 2) Although I am largely apolitical and haven't voted since 1976, I thought I might want to do my part this fall to keep Bush Jr. in Texas, 3) All in all, I suppose I do think of myself as more liberal than conservative, which doesn't mean that I go along with all this politically-correct mind control.

All right, repeat after me: Absinthe has no secondary effects! Verlaine and Rimbaud drank it for the taste only!

By Tabreaux on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Absinthe is illegal to sell everywhere in the U.S., and that includes New Orleans. Despite what you may have been told, there is no real absinthe sold here (and no, "Absente" isn't absinthe...at all). I say "here" because I live in New Orleans. Email me before you come out this way, and if I'm around, I just might toss you a real 'treat'.

By Bob Chong on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 04:09 pm: Edit

"The best absinthe the city has to offer"?

Last time I checked, New Orleans is still in the United States, which makes absinthe widely unavailable there. Of course, there are always private individuals who might share their stash with you. But don't walk into Pat O'Briens and try to order an absinthe. It ain't gonna happen.

But you certainly should sample the Herbsaint.

BC

By Yvonne on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Hello everyone! I'm new to your forum and I am hoping someone will help me. I'm planning a vacation to New Orleans at the end of October and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest where I could find the best absinthe the city has to offer. I received a bottle of Spanish absinthe from a friend at Christmas and have since developed a love of it. Feel free to email me as I am in great need of costume ideas as well. I hope to be able to share a drink with some of you while I'm there.

email yvonne@9inchnails.net

By D M S on Tuesday, September 12, 2000 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Well I have had over 30 bottles arrive in a span of 2 days 4 boxes of 4 bottle opened by customs and there was no damage or tampering. I honestly don't think they care....

Ta KaisaroV apodote Kasari kai ta tou Qeou tw Qew

By Marcellin on Tuesday, September 12, 2000 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Thank you Bob Chong, I am one of those who want to know.

Open question; has anyone received a large order from SC? I have never ordered more than 4 bottles and I'm just curious as to how a larger order was handled. How does the US Postal Service handle a shipment of 12 quasi-illegal glass bottles?

Marcellin

By Bob Chong on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Here is a chart for buying from SpiritsCorner. I thought I might as well post it, after having done all the work to figure it out weeks ago...figured that's a better return on the time investment. Plus, people may want this info.

Using Deva as the example, here is what it costs, including shipping, airmail to the States (btw, why does the guide imply that UPS is cheaper for bigger orders? It just ain't so). These figures were accurate a few weeks ago, so if there are minor fluctuations I apologize. Also, if there are huge changes now, please let me know.

All monetary figures are in Euros.

Bottles/Cost
1/55.5
2/67.8
3/117.3
4/129.6
5/141.9
6/191.4
7/203.7
8/259.2
9/271.5
10/283.9
11/339.3
12/351.7
13/364.0
14/413.5
15/425.8
16/475.3

As you can see, the best deals are 2, 5, 7, 10, 13, or 15 (to maximize postage, anyway). FWIW, the shipping really is the expensive part of "shipping and handling." Some places may rip you off in the bogus "handling" department, but SC is legit. The stuff they sent me--two bottles total--was packed perfectly, and the stamp on the box said 5740 pesetas ($29.60 US). That works out to about $25 in product, $30 in postage, and $5 in handling costs (packing, etc.). Very nice indeed.

Sorry for the longwinded post. I hope it's helpful to those who wanted to know more.

BC

By Anatomist1 on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 05:47 pm: Edit

JKK,

Anatomisti... hmm, I like the sound of that. Kind of Italian. Dashing. Perhaps I'll wear a hat.

I'm an anarchist... only, I can't figure out where to get registered. I've tried phone books, search engines, but I just can't find their headquarters, or home office, or whatever they call it. It just seems that my fellow anarchists are so... well... disorganized. I just can't understand it. I feel so let down. Here I go to all the trouble of believing in something -- well, it least believing I don't like something -- and all my fellow anarchists are nowhere to be seen. Damn. But, then I got an idea! Of course! I'll register myself with anybody. Random somebodies. I figure if I give up sleeping, I can register myself -- informally, of course -- with about 200 fellow wild anarchists per night. What glee! Of course, I'll have to move to a different city in approximately 2.86 years, but what the hell...

By jkk on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Thanks also to Bob Chong.

By jkk on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Anatomisti,
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know the low-down on the postage prices. By the way, I happen to be a registered Democrat. I'm all for blaming Reagan for everything up to and including the decline in world culture, but if this forum is suffering from a lack in freedom, I suggest that the problem may lie somewhere else than with the Republicans.

Don,
I am in complete agreement with you on both points of your last message. There was no criticism or argument intended.

Cheers and happy imbibing to all!!

By Bob Chong on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Actually, 5 bottles is a better deal than 4. Four bottles of Deva (for ex.) would run about 129 EUR vs. 142 EUR for 5 bottles.

The shipping costs jump about 50 EUR when going up from 2 to 3, 5 to 6, 7 to 8, 9 to 10, etc. (i.e., to save on shipping, order 2, 5, 7, 10, 13, or 15 bottles at once).

BC

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 05:00 pm: Edit

JKK,

Never buy 1 or 3 bottles from SC. The shipping charges are the same for 1-2, and for 3-4. You could have received an extra bottle for fifteen bucks! And you call yourself a conservative...

K.

By Don Walsh on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 03:49 am: Edit

Dear jkk

Problems are:

1. Shipping is irreducible at $25. Its a function of the weight of bottle and contents and packaging.

2. You really can't compare what we are making with what anyone anywhere else is making. Period. End of story. Nothing is of this quality. Nothing is of this authenticity. No one takes the time and care and hard work and intellectual effort and perfectionist mindset, except Ted Breaux, and me. The results will speak for themselves.

Add to that the better presentation and so on, and no one should be complaining about the modest and competitive price. This is a labor of love. But, we aren't communists, right? (as the godfather used to say.) We are entitled to make a profit. Ted's entitled to compensation for the seven YEARS he has invested in research and study. I'm entitled to compensation for the money I have invested and continue to invest plus my labors in actually making this stuff to Ted's totally uncompromising standards.

In light of all that I dare anyone to call us greedy.

Not after they taste the totally unique and peerless products. Yes, products. There will be several.

By jkk on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Don,
. I bought 3 bottles from SC: one each of Deva, Serpis and MM. If I remember correctly the total was something like $120 including shipping.

Anyway, I wasn't telling you how to run your business, just expressing a wish. I realize that your production costs are higher than those of the Spanish firms because of your standards and size.

The only thing I was trying to hint at was that a lower price might make up for itself by increased sales. I'm sure you've already thought of this, so I won't be presumptuous. Selling for under $100, including shipping is very good, but $50--all right, it's a fantasy--would be fantastic, and even the impoverished among us--such as me--would be happy to buy only your product, even several bottles of it a month!

In any case, thanks for going down in price, and I--and most of the other contributors to this forum, I'm sure--are impatiently waiting for the launching of your absinthe.

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 11:24 am: Edit

Let me reiterate: our price will be UNDER $100 including shipping.

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 11:22 am: Edit

Dear jkk

What I posted many weeks ago was: 100 to 125 a bottle plus 25 to 35 a bottle shipping. Someone else focused on the high end of that spectrum, which is 160, but the low end is 125 and that is delivered.

Sorry, you want to talk $50 a bottle, you are way off base. NO ONE sells absinthe for that. Look at the delivered price from Spirits Corner. Look at Sebors. Look at Mari Mayans. And those are the CHEAP brands.

You will quickly discover that a real world delivered price is $60 to $100 or more.

La Bleue will cost you $125 to $200. Unless you have Swiss relatives in whch case you can have it for $30 plus shipping, but then you;ll b back in usual price range.

By jkk on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Hmm... My message disappeared, I retyped it and now I see both posts. Sorry for being garrulous.

By jkk on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Well, it's nice to hear that the absinthe is going for under $100. I just want to add that I didn't pull the $160 figure out of my hat. Don mentioned a few weeks ago that he estimated a bottle would cost that much including shipping. Now if you could get the price down to circa 50 bucks, you would really be giving us students a break!

By jkk on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Well, I'm glad it's under $100. I just want to add that I didn't pull the $160 figure out of my hat; a few weeks ago Don said a bottle would cost roughly that much including shipping. Anyway circa 50 bucks--if possible-- would be very nice for us students! Any chance?

By Mr. Wormwood on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 04:07 am: Edit

"I wish we could make these products for $2 per bottle like the Spanish and Czech products.
Unfortunately, we cannot."

No, you will not, you could were all just glad you don't. You could make just about anything and slap a label on it saying "Absinthe" and sell it to soccer holligans. I am just glad you have choosen a differant path.

Keep up the good work.

By Marc on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 01:40 am: Edit

Don,

If your product is as unique as you claim it will be then you have no competitors.

Put me down for six bottles.

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 01:20 am: Edit

Ted and I can assure you that the delivered cost per bottle of our absinthe will be approximately $100 US -- or less. There will be a modest small-quantity break. Everyone ought to find this good news -- except our competitors.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Let me point out a few things:

The price will be nowhere near $160 per shipped bottle. Nowhere near that figure. It will be a commercially competitive product, even based upon price alone. The prices will be revealed when the products become available.

Yes Bob, I wish that tabulating the costs and profits were as simple as you pointed out. Unfortunately, there is so much more to this than a normal person would expect. I don't even want to go into all the extraneous costs. They do add up quickly however! I wish we could make these products for $2 per bottle like the Spanish and Czech products. Unfortunately, we cannot. Our herb selection (an arduous task), manufacturing methods, and overall quality of materials and methods place our costs at much higher levels. Our costs are not finalized, but our profit margins will be much *lower* than anything else being sold today. Just the costs of our bottling and labeling alone is more than what it costs to make the Spanish and Czech liquors. Believe it!

We are not saving much by producing in Thailand, nor could we anywhere else. The equipment costs are the same, and the materials costs are the same. We just have less bureaucratic hassle here, and fortunately, we have the benefit of dependable communication, utility, and delivery services.

Finally, as far as production volume, line up kids, it will be limited. The specific type and quality of herbs we need are very limited in supply. We reject herbs that are of better quality than what is being used today by the current commercial staples. These products are pure bred connoisseur-grade, and are intended for those who want original style absinthe as opposed to the modern marketing exercises in hype and high profit margins.

By Bob Chong on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Personally, I was hoping for something *well* under $50 per bottle. I, too, have no idea how much production costs, but 100 liters/day for 365 days at $50 a pop=$1.825M US.

Or looked at another way, for each dollar above cost for a year's run equals $36.5K US. IOW, $28 above cost per bottle is a million in the black.

But what do I know about the business model, pricing strategies, marketing costs, taxes, etc.?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I am the first to admit it.

(BTW--didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers with my numbers speculation here, just adding my thoughts. The Thailand adventure is the most exciting thing to the absinthe community, so naturally, it's fun to speculate.)

And if this is a sustainable business, how about licensing some franchises? I have had my eye on a piece of land in Tobago... ;-)

BC

By jkk on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Excuse me, but $160 a bottle IS a ransom. Don claimed that he would be selling at a "reasonable" price, but it seems to be about the same as a bleue. I don't know what the production costs are, but if you can't get the price below $100, I--and I suspect others--can't afford to buy more than a few bottles a year. Oh well, it seems Deva has nothing to worry about. We certainly can't drink Don's in anywhere near the same quantities.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Don and I are working on the most recent cost projections and are sharpening our pencils as best as we can. You won't have to pay a ransom for our products. As far as La Fee, consider it to be something akin to a smoother, better balanced relative to Deva.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Exactly. The La Blue's price seems too high to me. I'll pay that kind of price for Don and Ted's excellent adventure -- maybe only once. In the meantime, though, "much better than Deva or Montana" at a sensible price sounds good.

K.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I honestly was not that impressed with La Fee..it is a plesant middle ground betwixt Sebors and Segarra. It is no where as good as Bleue but it is much better than Deva or Montana..

all humble opinions,

-- J

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Yeah!

Gimmie some of that La Fee!

K.

By Marc on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 10:27 am: Edit

absintheminded,

I checked out your website. How about doing us all a favor, offer La Fee Absinthe for export to the USA. Thanks.

By Absinthminded on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 10:09 am: Edit

The Absinth-Minded Company services pubs, retaurants and clubs nationwide & yes we do freight goods to the US & worldwide.
WWW.absinth-minded.co.uk

By Marcellin on Monday, September 04, 2000 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Greetings Absinth-Minded and Welcome,

You wrote "I've been drinking it for 18 months and have been selling it for a similar amount of time." Care to elaborate on "selling it"? Do you ship to the USA?

Marcellin

By Archimedes on Monday, September 04, 2000 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Greets and Welcome all like minded are enjoyed here.

Best Wishes
Archimedes "Owl Elder"

By Absinth-Minded on Monday, September 04, 2000 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Hi!
what an interesting hour I have just had on the forum pages, you
guys certainly like/know your green syrup!! I've been drinking
it for 18 months and have been selling it for a similar amount
of time. I would like to join your discussions and maybe learn
some more - in the meantime, hello from England!!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation