Louche and effects

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Louche and effects
By Chrysippvs on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I agree with Madame Le Fey...It was not uncommon to see absinthe neat or semo-neat in the belle epoch. I enjoy it thusly from time to time..but only with the finer brands..

By Morrigan Le Fey on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Au contrare Anatomist! As charming as the French tradition is, some of us actually DO prefer to savor it straight. The subtle flavours seem stronger, clearer & more pure. Chilled, straight & over a bit of ice for me, please.

- Morrigan

By anatomist1 on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 03:50 pm: Edit

If I drank it straight, I would be able to watch it louche on the floor, or in the nearest toilet bowl....

By Mr. Wormwood on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 09:18 am: Edit

If you drank it straight, it would probably louche in your stomach anyway. You just would not see it happen.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 09:51 am: Edit

I reckon that it ought not to matter, water or not. Ted agrees.

We just returned from an absinthe free evening at Patpong Road's Superstar Bar. Man doth not live by absinthium alone.

By tcsmit on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Un-louched should have the same effects as louched. The essential oils are still in there, just dissolved in the alcohol. That's my thought on it anyway. I do have knowledge of chemistry, just not biochemistry. There may be some physiological reason that I am not aware of, but I don't think so.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 09:14 am: Edit

I am wondering if there is any correlation between absinthe's louched state and the effects of absinthe. In other words, "Will un-louched absinthe have the same effects as louched absinthe?" I have some friends who tried to straight and felt little to nothing but when they tried it with water felt the secondary affects. I muse as to whether or not the essential oils that precepitate out when water is added may affect absinthes chemical make-up.

Ted..Don any thoughts..You gruesome twosome..

- J

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation