Please suggest a good type of absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Please suggest a good type of absinthe
By Mr. Wormwood on Tuesday, September 12, 2000 - 10:56 am: Edit

Back in the day, most people used cold water to dilute their absinthe, but I have seen old photos and paintings with seltzer bottles on the table next to glasses of absinthe.

I think quite a few people used seltzer water too.

By billynorm on Tuesday, September 12, 2000 - 10:27 am: Edit

Yvette,

For me, the best tasting is BEI's La Bleue, Segarra is the best Spanish absinthe, but Deva is probably the best value.

By bluedog1 on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Never thought of the ice cube trick.

Gotta go give it a try. Thanx for the suggestion

By Midas on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 06:02 am: Edit

Slightly off the original topic, but another good one is 2:1 absinthe/Cointreau, then add Sprite to taste. Not exactly traditional, but rather nice...

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Try "The Anatomist's Ritual": put ice cubes in a non-antique glass, pour about an ounce of absinthe in, then add several ounces of lemon-flavored carbonated water. Mmmm...

Heathen!!!! Just kidding, my girl-friend likes a Deva/Mari mix (1:3 Deva:Mari) with some seltzer water. I like my absinthe in a monimette with a sugar cube on the spoon and simply put a piece of ice atop and let it sit for a while..

With the new absinthe the sugar ritual completes its perfection, it pushes the bitterness of the wormwood to the back of the palate making it somewhat dry and at the same time utterly refreshing on a hot Mississippi day...

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Yvette,

The most economical initial step would be to order 2 bottles from Spirits Corner (same shipping charge as for 1). I don't have that much experience, but I would say -- among their lineup -- Deva is the most interesting, with Mari Mayans Collectors Ed. seeming quite similar to me, although a bit more bitter. Stay away from Herring!!

As for 'the ritual', unless you habitually drink pancake syrup, I don't think you're going to want to put sugar in the Spanish brands.

Try "The Anatomist's Ritual": put ice cubes in a non-antique glass, pour about an ounce of absinthe in, then add several ounces of lemon-flavored carbonated water. Mmmm...

K.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 06:32 pm: Edit

There have always been quality products, poor products, and everything in between. I am hoping to come across an opportunity to taste and analyze an original middle-of-the-road product at some point.

As for my age, just check my profile.

By bluedog1 on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Oh, I'd assumed Ted was a temporally displaced citizen....

By Artemis on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 12:21 pm: Edit

"Even historically (and Ted correct me if my theory is wrong) I presume there were good absinthes and really lousy ones."

Are you talking about Ted, or the vampire Lestat? I could be wrong, but I had always assumed Ted was born well into the 20th century.

By bluedog1 on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 11:47 am: Edit

Yvette;

While I don't claim as much experience as some of the more learned participants in this forum, the main idea all of these discussions keep coming back to is "you like what you like".

With the exception of La Bleue, most absinthes are around the same general price, depending on supplier. My suggestion is try a few and see which is good for you. It is a lot like wine tasting, there are good chardonays and some that taste like gasoline. Some are $8 per bottle and some are $80. Taste a bunch and decide which qualities you like and which come out in what brews. The one you like best is the best kind.

Even historically (and Ted correct me if my theory is wrong) I presume there were good absinthes and really lousy ones. You drank what you could get and what you could afford. If you were a poor worker, maybe you couldn't afford premium, so you drank the well brand. That's why there is Bacardi and generic rum.

As for me, I prefer Mari Mayans. Deva seems a bit mild to my taste and Tunel seems overly harsh. I don't have the money for La Bleue. I do fully intend to try as many brands as I can, and my preference may change as I experience more.

I do, however, highly recommend you integrate the absinthe ritual into your imbibing. To me it is the key to enjoying any absinthe. I enjoy low lights or candlelight, chilled absinthe, chilled water, and a good porous sugar cube, a glass, a spoon, a saucer if possible. Pour slowly, sit back and enjoy.

Best of luck.

By The Greeen Imp on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 03:30 am: Edit

You might want to try Segarra as well, along with Deva. Both are likely the best of the Spanish brands. I find I like Segarra just a bit more than Deva, but I enjoy both.
Always when a question of taste is involved, it boils down to what strikes your fancy.
Enjoy
Jay

By Midas on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 02:23 am: Edit

Yvette, Deva is one of those drinks that can be drank with or without sugar, depending on whether you want it paticularly sweet or not. But I think you'll find that most people here count Deva and La Bleue as two of the best modern labels, both in quality and cost, and believe me, you don't often find a concensus of opinion here! Also, stay tuned, there may just be a rival for the above on the market soon from sunny Thailand... :)

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Deva does have some flavor beyond the star anise, and offers something a little more interesting than the typical straight pastis flavor. The drawback, like modern pastis and all of the Spanish products, is that it is excessively sweet (in comparison to absinthe). The modern Spanish products are modeled after pastis, not absinthe. They are not designed to be had according to the old ritual. As they come, they taste far more of sugar than does old absinthe *with* sugar. But again, at least with Deva you can taste something beyond essence of star anise, albeit limited.

By malhomme on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 04:27 pm: Edit

"Tutti i gusti son gusti"
It's getting to be where answering this kind of question is like talking about politics in the "family bookstore"!!! Everyone has an opinion.

All this said....
I prefer Deva, and with sugar. Many of the posters of this forum feel that Deva tastes of little else other that anise, and is too sweet with a lump of sugar. I can taste an herbal complexity in Deva that I do not detect in the other, economical(Spanish) brands. With all the talk here recently of economy, Deva is hard to beat for the price.

Maybe there will be another more "authentic" brand soon, that is priced to compete.
Cheers

By Yvette on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 03:32 pm: Edit

hello, i need an experienced absinthe drinker to tell me what the best kind of absinthe is. what they normally drink and what they would suggest. thank you :)
Yvette

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation