Questions and praise

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Questions and praise
By malhomme on Monday, September 25, 2000 - 09:01 pm: Edit

"It aint bragg'n if it's true!!!"

By Chrysippvs on Monday, September 25, 2000 - 03:31 pm: Edit

I guess so..but no insult taken..

I would still like to seen where I brag about writing..I hate to type and I think that account for 70% of the horrid spelling..now for the grammar that is all me....

By JKK on Monday, September 25, 2000 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Sorry for the "flame". Is that the term?

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, September 23, 2000 - 04:02 pm: Edit

where was I braggin?

By JKk on Saturday, September 23, 2000 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Then stop bragging about your writing. It's sub-literate.

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, September 23, 2000 - 02:41 pm: Edit

"By the way, do you read your posts before you send them? They really are hard to figure out sometimes."

Nope...couldn't care less

But as for Wallachia I had a friend once from that region on the Moldova side..he said in some towns they still bury bodies face down! Would love to vist there..

Does anyone know any Eastern European language(besides Russian)..I need a base for that entropy test?

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Anybody speak Wallachian?

By JKK on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Justin,
There is only one Slovak language, namely Slovak, which is a SLAVIC language. Hungarian (Magyar) is a Finno-Ugric language, not a Slavic one, and is related to Finnish and Estonian. I don't speak Hungarian, so I can't help you. Actually, I'm not sure what you were looking for. By the way, do you read your posts before you send them? They really are hard to figure out sometimes.

By BloodStreamRuns on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Chryssipvs (and anyone else interested),

If you like Lovecraft (a very guilty pleasure on my part), then you may be interested in reading Thomas Ligotti. Ligotti is very much in the vein of Lovecraft, but a bit scarier, or odder, depending on your personal bent. I would suggest picking up The Nightmare Factory. It's a sort of compliation of most of his work, and can be had in paperback for less than ten dollars.

By Don Walsh on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Dear blackjack

Yes, I know the retail price in Cuba. That's why they counterfeit the tax stamps: to cheat the Cuban govt out of huge tax. That's why the Cuban govt. keeps changing the tax stamp, to frustrate the black market.

I have had both glass top boxes and non-glass top boxes in equal measure. I know the glass tops are older and no longer used, however, the cigars have been fresh enough -- though some were fresher than others, and the non glass top boxed ones were definitely fresher. Anyway I know my source, and his source, so I am confident that these are the real McCoy.

The international duty free price is about same as the Cuban retail, and the Bangkok price is, well, astronomical -- about $70 per cigar.

By blackjack on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 10:35 am: Edit

Don, if you are actually getting Esplendidos for $125 a box, you are incredibly lucky, since that is well less than 1/2 what they retail for in Cuba (~$384.00). They wouldn't happen to be coming in a glass-topped box, would they? ;)

Personally, I deal with a British merchant. Sure, British prices are much higher than anywhere but Canada, but English Market Selection cigars really are of a more consistent quality, and the UK seems to be one of the last refuges of good customer service in the world.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 10:07 am: Edit

Ia! Ia!

The Liber Logaeth is pretty funny...I wonder if the necronomicon would be so ghastly in the minds of people if they saw it...49 49x49 blocks of letters in cryptographic patterns? I am actually horrified at what it may mean...John Dee was a really ..really odd person in even stranger circustance..makes Crowley look craven..

- J

(PS IA! IA! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nag fhtagn)

By Don Walsh on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 09:27 am: Edit

Dear Justin,

Desist, or be torn asunder by invisible fiends. Not a threat from me...merely a promise from ole Abdul Alhazred, late of the cursed City of Pillars hidden in the Rub al'Kahliyd...Irem, cursed of prophets long before the Prophet...

Seriously I DID once have a proper Lovecraftian dream, but that was long before I got into absinthe. Since doing so I have only had one nightmare but it was a doozy...generally my dreaming is pleasant, vivid ( I THINK enhanced by my absinthe indulgence).

I don't have a copy of DARK THINGS. The story was supposed to be the start of a Cthulhy Mythos cycle set in the Deep South, but, there wasn't enough demand to sustain it. August D. paid me $35 for that story, not even 1 cent a word. He was a proper bastard, and a chicken hawk, so they tell me, people who knew him better than I did. Robert Bloch hated him really bad but wouldn't cross him till he was dead....

Title of the story was The Rings of the Papaloi. It was more or less a takeoff on the New Orleans parts of "The Call of Cthulhu". Did you know Lovecraft visited N.O.? He came to see E.Hoffman Price, who lived in Nawlins for a while. Fifty years later I got to know Price...he dies in his 90s in San Fran, slumped over his writing desk...co-author of Through the Gates of the Silver Key with HPL. I am proud to have known him. Get me to tell you how he got kicked out of the navy in the 20s, sometime...

By Chrysippvs on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 07:09 am: Edit

Don W,

Speaking of old Wilbur...I am working on the voynich MS, a late 14th century cipher text purported to have belonged to John Dee and though to be a form of his Liber Logaeath..the Latin translation of the vile and horrid latin translation of Worms Greek Necronomicon.

Lovecraft is about the only modern (horror)fiction that I can stomach. Don didn't you say you wrote some similar things..you gotta send it this way sometime..

- J

By D.W. on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 04:22 am: Edit

Dear Justin

PS If you don't take my advice: dig up a copy of DARK THINGS, Derleth's last anthology (he died on 4th of July 1970). Hardcover, from Arkham House. That's the one I'm in, my first short story, written when I was 15, sold when I was 16, published in '70. See, you're not the only enfant terrible out there. The only thing worse is being an aging e.t. like me.

By Don W. on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 04:15 am: Edit

Dear Justin

Too much Lovecraft (and Derleth) will make your teeth rot, your ancestors get retroactive paresis and ultimately lead to Bright;s disease and other malignancies.

Ia! Ia! Shub Niggurath!

D.W.

Is the original family name Whately?

By Marc on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 12:45 am: Edit

"Do What Thou Wilt" is a good read. I just finished it. Another good Crowley biography is "The Beast Demystified".

By Chrysippvs on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 12:34 am: Edit

To anyone that may know,

Is the book "Do What Thou Wilt" a good one on Crowley, I saw it at Barnes and Noble and am thinking about picking it up...

Also does anyone here know any Slovak language (Magyayr [and no that is no where near spelled right] Hundarian not Russian-already got that one-, doing some entropy tests on this Voynich MS and need an example to compare..

I know I can rely on you guys...

- Justin

By Marc on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 12:18 am: Edit

erowid is a great resource for information on drugs. And for that reason, I wouldn't suggest we post messages there regarding our absinthe experiences.People are liable to get the wrong idea. This forum is sufficient. We don't need to go high-profile.

By Dengar on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Don, you rule! :-)

By Don Walsh on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 08:10 pm: Edit

I get my Cohiba Esplendidos by the box, from Havana, direct from a source inside the factory, for $125 a box of 25. Usually 3 boxes at a time, 2-3 times a year. This arrangement has been in place for a year, and while my source (who does the handcarry) says things are becoming more difficult (new tax stamps to challenge the counterfeiters) it hasn't come to an end yet.

So, $5 per cigar. I truly feel for the guys who have to pay $15 to $40 or more for the same smoke. BTW there are FAKE Cohibas and other cubans out there. But mine are real. It's all a matter of knowing who you are dealing with,. and my guy is same senior diplomat who brings me my La Bleue from Switzerland.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 02:25 pm: Edit

The thing about the Spanish absinthes is that they are firmly entrenched in the pastis flavor, which tends to mask what may or may not be present in the way of herbal content. While some are certainly better than others, it is difficult to judge the content solely by taste, simply because certain flavors are overwhelming. This is why I am resorting to analytical methods, albeit at my own expense (considerable). I am as curious as anyone to find what truly 'lies beneath'.

By JKK on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 12:33 pm: Edit

I think it's an interesting idea of Perruche Verte that those of us who have been drinking absinthe for a while contribute our thoughts about the drink to Erowid files, but if I may make a suggestion, I think we should wait a bit until we try Don and Ted's. Basing your judgements on Spanish absinthe seems to me comparable to discussing the savor and effects of coffee after trying a cup of Safeway Brand instant--diluted with a liter of water. Hill's would be like a SPOONFUL of instant diluted with a liter of pond water. It's fine to talk about these products, but don't assume that they give you much of an idea about the real thing.

By blackjack on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 11:55 am: Edit

To venture totally off topic, Cohiba is a good cigar, but WAY overpriced, IMHO. I'm more a Bolivar man, but I like my smokes really strong. And I love Cuaba Exclusivos. A few weeks ago, I had a Ramon Allones Specially Selected that I'd forgotten about in the back of my humodor for a couple of years, and it was incredible.

By Perruche_verte on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Whoops, I messed up the URL. It's erowid.org -- sorry.

Ted, if I ever make it to New Orleans, I'll definitely take you up on that. I hear it's a city that appreciates my main instrument -- yes, I can and do play the accordion, which according to Oscar Wilde means I'm no gentleman.

Don, the only time I actually smoked a Cohiba was on my last trip to Canada, where they aren't so stupidly vindictive toward Fidel as to deprive their citizens of that pleasure. I usually smoke Dominican Robustos of one brand or another, and the funny thing is, the Cohiba didn't taste that much better to me, except toward the last third of the cigar. If cost were no barrier I might indulge more often.

But with perks like that -- you're making it pretty damn clear it's not the money you're after with absinthe!

BTW, I scrolled through the webring again and it seems everyone and their mother has a Swiss La Bleue link now -- no quoted prices, just an email contact to get more information.

What's up with that? I thought this stuff was produced independently (and sub rosa) by several small distillers. Do they actually have a network of sorts to coordinate distribution? Or can anyone take the label and run with it -- which raises the obvious concern that there are fakes on the market?

By Don Walsh on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 10:52 am: Edit

I DO smoke Cohibas. Esplindidos, exactly. And I soak the wrappers in Ted's absinthe. It's a perk. What can I say?

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 10:18 pm: Edit

FWIW, www.erowid.com finally posted my dose of clarification in the midst of all those questionable (putting it lightly) anecdotal contributions.

Veritas.

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Coffee increases my mental 'clock speed' beyond design parameters. The result is numerous 'illegal operation' errors. The only way I can have coffee is with a slug of cognac right behind it. IMO, coffee is for drug addicts. Vile stuff.

Regarding absinthe, pardon me if I may say that the 'vaults' at Erowid are full of the worst anecdotal information to be found on this subject. I've already communicated to them regarding the obvious misleading information and shortfalls, but I think the site editors are about as brain-dead as the contributors. This site is a prime example of ignorance, exaggeration, and stupidity. Yes, it would be a great idea to bless it with some objective, legitimate info, but this site appears to be largely by the ignorant, for the ignorant.

As far as the Czechs and classic absinthe, there seems to be no connection between the two. Apparently, absinthe was never especially popular there. As for the Czechs demanding better products, they don't seem to be especially educated regarding absinthe. Unless a person has tasted a decent product, he has no idea of what a 'decent product' should be, or even that it exists (Plato's Republic?). Judging from the nonsensical descriptions the Czechs use to promote their products, the producers seem to be as 'lost' as the consumers.

If you venture to buy any of the Spanish products, may I suggest Deva, Segarra, or maybe La Sala. With these, you'll get something a little more interesting than a pastis flavor for your money. As for Huguet the only reports I've been given were quite negative, which is to be expected.

I don't smoke Cohibas either, as tobacco makes me crazy, especially when supplemented with alcohol (shades of Van Gogh?....I still have my ears however).

Since all musicians seem to make that 'pilgrimage' to the musical Mecca of New Orleans eventually, let me know if you come this way, and you can sample something a bit more interesting.

By Perruche_verte on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Hello,

This is a sort of introductory ramble and tip of the hat. I want to thank the people on this Forum for providing a lot of useful information about absinthe, and also some great reading. Most everyone here seems to be quite articulate and pleasantly opinionated without being disrespectful, and I appreciate that, because unfortunately it can be rare on the Internet, especially with regard to certain subjects.

Perhaps absinthe cannot be classified as a narcotic or hallucinogenic, but it is certainly a mood-altering substance, and one unfortunate fact about mood-altering substances is that they don’t increase intelligence. (Except, of course, for coffee. Coffee makes you really smart. Ideally, fair-traded organic shade-grown French roast, perhaps with chicory or a bit of cardamom. And maybe a good cigar. Unfortunately, the effect is temporary. I think I need more coffee… ;-)

Check out the vaults at www.erowid.com for evidence of this principle, if you really need any. What could be a very useful forum for people to record and compare their experiences in at least a quasi-scientific manner (complete with information on dosage, body weight of subject, etc.) has been pretty much derailed by a lot of dull stoners. If any of you good people feel like being angels, you might consider contributing information to their Absinthe category. Don’t submit your email address though.

I think I read much the same literature about absinthe while growing up that others here did. With all the propaganda going around about its terrible effects, it seemed to me that absinthe must have been quite pleasurable if people were willing to risk drinking it anyway. When I became old enough to drink, I tried Pernod and anisette, and liked them quite a bit. I have always liked licorice, anise and fennel, which do have subtle mood-altering effects of their own. But I pretty much despaired of finding any absinthe, and frankly didn’t see much need to, after hearing certain stories. Friends of mine had been to Prague and tried straight shots of what I now believe was That Czech Brand; they all described it as “nasty” and not worth my while.

[Question: Did absinthe culture ever really take off in Prague, back in the day? People have written here that the Czech faux-absinthe industry makes most of its money from exports to the UK. It’s hard to believe that Czechs wouldn’t demand a better product if it had been popular there and people knew how it tasted.]

Then a couple of years ago I acquired a bottle of what I now believe was a steeped absinthe made with grain alcohol. I seem to recall bits of sediment in the bottom, which suggest it was not distilled. It was quite bitter but still pleasant, a subdued green-yellow with varied herbal flavors, and with water and a sugar cube it tasted pretty good. I used a tea strainer in place of an absinthe spoon, and experienced a certain shine over and above the warm glow of the alcohol. Perhaps it was not thujone alone, as Ted Breaux and others have commented that an adequate amount of wormwood to produce a “real” thujone effect would have rendered the stuff undrinkable. Whatever it was, it was more than alcohol. My connection moved away shortly thereafter, and I never tried to find absinthe again until recently, when I discovered the Absinthe Web Ring and soon thereafter the DIY recipe for steeped absinthe by Fear Heiple.

As I write, I have a liter in progress using Fear’s recipe. [Has anyone here tried it?] Considering the various complaints about the “excessive” star anise in the Spanish absinthes, I find it interesting that Fear’s blend calls for no star anise, very little aniseed or fennel, and what seems like a fair amount of caraway, hyssop and coriander. I note from the Buyer’s Guide that a couple of faux-absinthes like Absinth King and the Andorran brand Huguet are actually macerated, not distilled, so I imagine Fear’s might taste something like them -- speaking optimistically. [And has anyone tried Huguet?]

Subsequently I read on this site just how poorly steeped recipes compare to distilled absinthe, and how easy it is to obtain some of the Spanish brands. I’m placing an order, and acquiring some reproduction accessories as well. Nonetheless, I feel I must complete what I have started, so I’ll finish my steep as well. Perhaps I won’t feel compelled to pour it all down the drain once I try Deva or Mari Mayans and my senses expand a bit. Even if I do, it’s been a relatively cheap and enjoyable learning experience.

I can only admire the dedication of those who are seeking to recreate vintage absinthe. I wish them every success, but I doubt I’ll be able to buy any for some months. One of my parallel careers is called “struggling musician”, and that is all I need to say about my finances. I don’t smoke Cohibas either!

Best regards,

Perruche Verte

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation