In support of Sebor

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:In support of Sebor
By LordHobgoblin on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 07:19 am: Edit

Many thanks for you informative reply, I look forward to the day when your absinthe will be available. Until then I'll have to make do with Deva.

Hobgoblin

By Tabreaux on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 04:56 am: Edit

In the 85 years since the cessation of French commercial absinthe production, much has changed. Nowadays, decent commercial absinthe seems to be based on pastis in many respects. In contrast, original absinthe doesn't taste much like pastis, because many aspects of its composition and production have fallen to more 'economically favorable' materials and methods.

Unfortunately, there are no products which taste much like the two originals I've sampled so far (Edouard Pernod and original Herbsaint absinthe). While some modern products are decent, especially in light of what little it costs to make them, none of them capture the qualities of the originals which I find so interesting. It would be difficult for me to describe the taste of the originals using modern products as a base for comparison. In fact, it is difficult to describe the taste and character at all.

Furthermore, even those few who own original absinthe don't exactly sit down and have a glass here and there. It's not like you can share it with all your friends and discuss it (which makes for a lonely world in a sense). I am very loathe to sample any more than I need to achieve my goal, and that goal has been difficult to attain. I have great admiration for those who were able to create something so balanced and interesting with materials and methods available 100+ years ago. They were indeed artisans, and there work is not easily duplicated, even with modern technology (I can attest to that!).

It has been a personal goal of mine to reproduce what was considered to be among the best of the originals. As if this wasn't challenging enough, there was the challenge of finding a way to make it legally, and still yet another challenge to make this tradition affordable and consistent. When it becomes possible to procure the results of these efforts (hopefully soon), everyone on this board owes it to themselves to try it. Only then can we all have a true perspective of the old vs. the new, and it will be nice to have everyone on the same wavelength for purposes of discussion. It will be equally interesting for me to read what your opinions and impressions are, and how it compares to what you expected it to be. I can assure you that it will probably be the most intruiging liquor purchase you'll ever make, and it is with great pains and pride that we make the old tradition available to those who can appreciate it.

I know this was a lengthy way to answer your question, but I wanted to purvey my perspective thoroughly so not as to be misunderstood when I say that none of the current offerings are much like the originals. If any of them were, I wouldn't have embarked on this mind-numbing adventure, and in the words of the Grateful Dead: ".....what a long strange trip it's been!"

By LordHobgoblin on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 11:36 pm: Edit

What absinthe would you suggest if someone wanted to drink something approaching a traditionally tasting product?

LH

By Tabreaux on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 05:13 pm: Edit

To the contrary, traditionality is not irrelevent except to those who have no appreciation for it. There are many of us who demand traditionality for our money, and yet, this single most important element is virtually impossible to find. You can get all kinds of synthetic colors and flavors, cheap spirits, and plenty of misleading ad copy and propaganda for your money, so why shouldn't you be able to get traditionality? I'll tell you why, because traditionality requires knowledge, skill, appreciation, and it costs. And after all, traditionality is the one element which makes absinthe what it is. Those who take your money for the garbage products don't give a damn about quality, just getting your money....and they do that with efficiency.

Quite frankly, exclude traditionality, and there is no absinthe, and no market for absinthe.

Maybe you don't mind spending the equivalent of $50 US for 50cl of a $2 drink, but there are those of us that do, and I dare say that those of us who are aghast at paying a ransom for mediocrity are present in greater number than you might imagine. If I thought that no one gave a damn, then I wouldn't be busting my ass to offer something which no one else has to date: authenticity, quality, and tradition.

By Billynorm on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Lord Hobgoblin,

Before I bought my first (& last) 0.5 liter of Sebor, I consulted La Fee Verte's buyer's guide. It said (paraphrasing here) that Hill's was industrial-strength Windex & Sebor was the best Czech "absinth" (which has the same distinction as being the world's tallest dwarf; Sebor is Windex-y enough for me). There are several Spanish brands left for me to taste, as well as La Fee & Don & Ted's Excellent Adventure!

But you're right, most of us won't ever taste traditional, vintage absinthe. C'est la vie, que sera sera, tutti gusti son gusti, sic transit gloria Monday-Friday!

Billy Norm

(P.S. Shouldn't absintheurs vote for the Green Party?)

By LordHobgoblin on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Who care's whether it's "traditional" or not. Since nothing available commercially today will be in any way traditional in the true sense and very very few of us are fortunate or wealthy enough to drink vintage absinthe, traditionality is therefore an irrelevance.As far as I'm concerned it tastes good to me therefore it is a quality product, (although it would be nicer if it louched).

Lord Hogboblin

By Tabreaux on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 12:00 pm: Edit

IMO, Sebor is the only Czech brand which has any degree of effort put into it. It isn't 'traditional' but it does employ traditional herbs (used in a non-traditional manner). It tastes pointed in some aspects and weak in others. It isn't unpleasant, just a bit strange and somewhat thin.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 10:49 am: Edit

The problem is: neither the Spanish (much less Port.) nor the Czechs have the slightest idea how to make Absinthe. The Swiss have an idea, but it is a pale fourth xerox copy.

There's the gauntlet, thrown down. Sebor's tastes good? I wouldn't dip my sheep in that stuff. They don't have enough anise, nor do they stop their distilation soon enough -- they are overcooked.

By Lord Hobgoblin on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 01:27 am: Edit

It would seem that Sebor Absinth is getting a bit of bad press. While certain other brands of so called Czech Absinth are best avoided Sebor is a good quality Absinth. It is undoubtedly quite different from Spanish Absentas and doesn't louche well but it does taste good and has as much effect as Deva and the others. I rate it as good as Deva although it is different from Deva.

What do the rest of you think?

Lord Hobgoblin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation