Pastis items and Pernod Invoices on E-bay

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Pastis items and Pernod Invoices on E-bay
By peter marc on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 02:11 pm: Edit

justin-
should or when you find yourself in paris, let
me know...you are welcome to share a humble
l'heure verte chez moi...i live about 10 minutes
from the st. ouen flea market. i have found
that finding absinthe antiques is a matter of
luck and connections, as are the prices, which are
all over the board, but damn, am i having fun...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 10:09 am: Edit

I have good friends in the provinces who are also absinthe antique dealers so we are going to hit all their friends and such...also heading to CH to meet with a dealer..so pretty well planned..I hope :)

J

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 09:33 am: Edit

Be prepared to do a lot of travelling Justin. Unless you are well prepared in advance - or very lucky. The provincial flea markets may be cheaper but are far less easy to fit into a short visit than the Parisian ones. What you save on the items you may spend on petrol (a sensitive subject for us Europeans right now).

Absinthedrinker

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 09:20 am: Edit

I agree. I have noticed this trend as well. The best bet for finding good items however is not i Paris. The provinces has the best deals in the world on absinthe related items. I am planning a trip there soon to see the antique seen...I hope it will be worth while.

As far as the prices on E-bay, what is sad is that the competetion is not good in the sence that a lot of people are paying quite a bit of money for pastis items thinking that they are absinthe period is the gold rimmed monimettes, which is really a misnomer they are in fact just anis glasses. I am however very happy to see some great rare items on there...topettes, old carafes, and things like that foutain (although it was broken). What gets me was the bottle of Legler Absinthe with no label that sold for over 100 dollars...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 01:54 am: Edit

I would like to add a general word on absinthe paraphernalia. I have noticed that prices realised on ebay are coming down significantly due to increased competition and availability of the items. However when I was over in Paris recently the opposite trend was in evidence. More and more 'common' items such as spoons and swirl glasses were increasing in price at the flea markets and bargains were much harder to find. Certainly the dealers I spoke to knew all about the popularity of absinthe related items and priced them accordingly. The prices for similar items also varied enormously between adjacent stalls. I picked up a spoon from one for 50Fr and the guy just along the road wanted between 300 and 500Fr! So, maybe collectors should buy now while stocks last.

Absinthedrinker

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 06:02 pm: Edit

I would reccomend anyone that is interested in bedding on something to ask us here about it..I am sure you will get an honest answer, but you may also get some competion.

By Marcellin on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I must concur with Chrysippvs. I have purchased several absinthe items at different times on eBay. I do believe that the monimettes I received are authentic (at least they look like other monimettes that I have seen on other sites). But, several other glasses I received were definitely NOT absinthe glasses.

Sounds like the same old eBay story, huh!?

Marcellin

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 11:47 am: Edit

WWII..not WWI..although if you are out there thanks too...

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 11:46 am: Edit

Just a side not on WWII, just like to thank any WWI veterans out there that may be reading..that movie really opened my eyes to the horrow or warfare..I had family in the death camps and am I here because of you guys, and because of your efforts my family escaped from Poland to Miami and Tel Aviv...Just a thanks for me...

- J

By Tabreaux on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 02:05 pm: Edit

No, they were in Normandy, which is completely across the country.

By 21st Century Rimbaud on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Yeah, I caught that one too...I guess they were supposed to be in Pontarlier at that point in the film?

By Chrysippvs on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

Just a Note on the Pastis items on E-bay listed under absinthe.

These invoices are not for absinthe..as can be see they are dated in the mid 30's and are for Pernod 40..which is pretty cool none the less. Why, because they are at 40%...Since aperitifs after the ban (and really after the herbal ban) were only allowed to be 40% and have no wormwood and really an all together low herbal content.

Be weary of many monimettes on E-bay as the majority are anis or pastis glasses..but the spoons are vintage most of the carafes are not... I think they are worth the prices usually compared to getting vintage ones from myself or otherwise..but I think that the later Pernod carafes looks better than the old ones myself..

side note: Anyone see the PERNOD FILS advertisement in Saving Private Ryan? Ted told me about it and I caught it a few days ago..there is also one for SUZE, another aperitif..

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation