Vintage Absinthe at Antoine's

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Vintage Absinthe at Antoine's
By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 10:58 am: Edit

that is interesting..I would love to get my hands on some of that Pernod SA...like anise kool-aid or something..

By Mr. Wormwood on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 06:16 am: Edit

I have seen the stuff you are talking about. Its a beautiful bottle. Mine was a prohibition era absinthe substitute. Ted, I would sure be interested in seeing a few pictures if its the real deal.

It was made by E. Jung & Wulff Co. of New Orleans.
Unfortunatly the label on the bottle I saw also says "Absinthe substitute nonalcoholic beverage".

Maybe before prohibition they made absithe, if so I have no record of it.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 09:50 am: Edit

I know one of the restaurant managers, so I'll go take a closer look and tell you more about them after that.

By Mad Dog on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 09:01 am: Edit

I have been lurking around this forum for a while now and I thank you all for the lively discussion and wealth of information presented.
Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to have lunch at Antoine's in the French Quarter. After a sazerac and some Oysters Rockefeller, I wandered through the 15 dining rooms and discovered an absinthe glass and a few unopened bottles of absinthe on display towards the back of the restaurant. There was a bottle of 120 proof Edouard Pernod, 100 proof Pernod Fils, and a product called Abisante at 120 proof imported by Leroux. All three bottles listed the volume as 4/5 quart. I also saw an old bottle of Herbsaint but it didn't look anything like the bottle imaged on this site so I imagine it was the pastis. Unfortunately, I don't have more details on the labels because I was a little pressed for time. But if you get the chance, taking a look at the bottles is a thrill (not to mention the Oysters Rockefeller). Has anyone heard of Abisante?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation