What is the most pshycoactive, and colorful brand of absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:What is the most pshycoactive, and colorful brand of absinthe
By Marc on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Mr. Wormwood,

I think your post was addressed to me. Yes?

I tried and like Sebor's. As I stated in my post.

Marc

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 11:28 am: Edit

Justin: whatever. I don't care if it is baked in Monte Carlo by the royal family of Monaco. Point is, the French take their anti-absinthe laws rather seriously, the Swiss do too but in the Jura the federal police are highly unwelcome. Anyway, stick to your guns, it's a fine tale, and hey, maybe it's even true.

Privately we shall continue to discuss why you are still doing this at all...

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 11:04 am: Edit

Technically means:

Distilled by a Frenchman and distilled in France around 10 or so miles from the border in the Jura. The recipies are very similar from what I am told...But it is not from the Doubs region I think absinthe from around there actually has another name that I can't recall...but it is so close to the border that I could mean Swiss or French...

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 10:33 am: Edit

Dear Justin

'Technically' covers a multitude of sins. Do you mean you buy your LB from a guy in France who plays middleman, OK, but that still means your LB originated in CH's Jura region.

As far as I am concerned -- and hey, I ain't perfect just yet -- La Bleue is Swiss bootleg. I am not aware that any putative French bootleg is properly called La Bleue. While I vigorously disgree with the Swiss move to claim an A.O.C. on absinthe, I think they well deserve a proprietary claim, as a nation, on La Bleue.

Let their cousins in Pontarlier call it something else.

Just my opinion, and nothing personal.

It's like concatonating the words 'Swiss' and 'cognac'. Doesn't work. See?

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 08:51 am: Edit

In a nutshell Mr. Hoffa, you will have to venture far beyond what comes from within the borders of the Czech Republic if you want anything resembling the absinthe experience. Pay no attention to thujone numbers and the rest of the misleading propaganda in some of these websites. You'll have to resort to at least the better Spanish brands (Deva) to get anything half-interesting and with a louche. Or, you can take another step up and try one of the La Bleues. While even the best original absinthe does not cause you to see 'little dwarfs' Mr. Hoffa, at least your concrete shoes will seem a bit lighter.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 07:12 am: Edit

The closest thing you will find to a decent absinthe is Swiss (NOT French) La Bleue.

Hey Don,

My la bleue technically comes from France...

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 06:48 am: Edit

Dear Mr WW

And that is damning them with faint praise!

By Mr. Wormwood on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 05:04 am: Edit

Why whould you try every brand exept Sebor?
That is the only Czech brand that is even worth trying.

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 03:32 am: Edit

Dear jhoffa

Welcome back to the land of the living.

The closest thing you will find to a decent absinthe is Swiss (NOT French) La Bleue. But in a few months, you will have a much better option: the product that we are preparing to launch late this year.

Don't be conned by any of the Czech swill.

The Spanish (like Deva, or Segarra) are OK.

By Marc on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 01:20 am: Edit

jhoffa,

Welcome to the forum. I have tried Absinthe Pilsner and all the rest of the Czech absinthes. With the exception of Sebor, I found them to be one dimensional in taste, primarily that of alcohol and a hint of anise and bitter herbs. They do not louche. If you are looking for a mind-bending, psychedelic experience, you will not find it in absinthe. What you will find, with the better brands (Sebor,Deva, LaSala, Mari Mayans and La Bleue), is an alcohol high with a hint of lucidity
and a touch of rapture. Of course, these reveries are obtainable with a good wine or scotch. I do believe that absinthe, when it is properly manufactured, has magic properties. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. If absinthe is devoid of mind-altering elements, why are we so obsessed with it?
It's the same old question. And it has never been adequetely answered. Maybe it never will be.
Of the commercial brands, I recommend Sebor. I am in the minority when it comes to this selection. Of the bootleg brews, La Bleue rules.

By Jhoffa23 on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 12:51 am: Edit

Hi. I have just recently fallen in love with the "green fairy." I have recently tried the absinthe pilsner availabile on LaBoheme as well as other places, yet I feel unfufilled by this particular brew. 2 things in particular stick out: There was no "louche." I strained my absinthe over a sugar cube, but I did not mix it with cold water. Is it cold water, sugar, or both that creates the louche? Furthermore, I enjoyed the way it made me felt, and going into it I wasn't expecting to see dancing midgets or walls melting, but I am curious as to why I see companies pushing higher tujone contents if they are not trying to upsell the psychoactive end of the liquer. It seems that most studies can't even prove that the tujone does anything at all for the liquer other than taste. I'd like to know if anyone out there has noticed a difference between bottles like the french La Bleue(60mg tujone) and absinth king or a similar brand with the industry standard of 10mg tujone.
My main concern is not taste so much as it is the quality of the louche effect and the differences in herbal content.
thank you in advance for any input.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation