Spoon questions

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Spoon questions
By Joshua on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 05:26 am: Edit

thanks very much i have been wondering about whether the drinkers took the spoons with them for quite some time,i think ill try the frenchman,100 dollars for a spoon is a little too rich for my blood.thank you very very much for your help

By Mr. Wormwood on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 05:02 am: Edit

Yes, most bistros provided the common spoons we see today with your drinks. They would usually keep them in a big silver vase called a spoon holder at the bar. In some bistros they used absinthe fountians to prepare the absinthes and the spoons would stay at the bar and only the finished drinks would be brought out to the patrons.

The nice rare spoons usually made of silver were meant for personal ownership and manufactured in much smaller quantities. They were usually used at home, and not carried to the bistro by patrons.

Yes other replica patterns are available, several arrow pattern spoons are available from the Frenchman one is made by "Absinthe Trennet" and I forget what the other have stamped on them . A souvenir pattern is available from the Absinthe Museum too. Pontarlier Anis has made a round and spoon style with a bird shaped cutout on them. A spoon style replica in solid silver is also available from Mari Mayans and can be ordered from them online at absenta.com. I think it costs over $100.

By Joshua on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 04:36 am: Edit

i got 2 questions about absinthe spoons,in the belle eopoch,did absinthe drinkers carry their own spoons to the bistros.or did the bistro provide the spoons with the drink?and is their a company that makes repro spoons in other patterns than the lozanges?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation