"La Fee" Reviewed

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:"La Fee" Reviewed
By Bob Chong on Monday, September 25, 2000 - 11:32 am: Edit

With the favorable exchange rate right now, Deva from SC is $25/l (if you order 5, 7, 10, etc.).

By Anatomist1 on Monday, September 25, 2000 - 11:18 am: Edit

Ahhh. Another midwesterner who is unwilling to admit what state they are in...

I'm with you. Until the Thai-juice begins to flow, it's Deva at $30/liter for me.

By Perruche_verte on Sunday, September 24, 2000 - 07:39 pm: Edit

I hasten to add that I really do enjoy reading the reviews; that post was tongue-in-cheek. It's just that right now, any 70cl bottle of liquor I paid $120 for would have to rock my world so very, very seriously that I'm not sure my expectations are fair ones.

I'd better just start with Deva and M.M. and work my way from there.

By Perruche_verte on Sunday, September 24, 2000 - 07:29 pm: Edit

"Does anyone else want to wax on about some fantastic absinthe that I can't afford, don't have access to, or isn't available yet while I wait for my next shipment of one-dimension Spanish licorice juice?"

Ditto that, substitute "first" for "next"... ;-)

By Midas on Sunday, September 24, 2000 - 02:25 am: Edit

I'm glad I'm not the only one that got a flash of the Illuminati when I saw the label. World domination via absinthe... maybe that's not so bad...
Mean while if you add E131 and E102 you get E233. Ooh, creepy : )

By bluedog1 on Saturday, September 23, 2000 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I echo your sentiments. I have one of those spoke-for bottles of La Fee from Betina and cracked the seal tonight.

My impressions: The aroma was closer to Deva than any other brand I have tasted thus far, and given the higher alcohol content, the nose does not give it away as readily as Mari Mayans.

It is one of the darker greens I have seen in an absinthe, but an enjoyable color and almost sparkles in the glass.

I take my absinthe with sugar (two "dots") and ice water. I was impressed with the opal green louche and that it mixed well without stirring.

The taste was mild, similar to Deva, but did not overpower my pallet or burn my tongue with anise taste like other brands. It was smooth and enjoyable through the entire glass and had no bitter or rough aftertaste. I received no overly discernable taste of mint over other herbs in the Fee.

The effect was the most mellowing I have felt of all the absinthes I have tasted; a feeling of relaxation and being at ease.

I do echo your sentiment about the size of the bottle; being slimmer than Deva, but am overall impressed with all aspects of this variety and will probably add it to my list of regulars.

I recommend it to other members of this forum as a good expenditure of funds for a good glass.

I was also most thankful to receive an ample sample of Betina's La Bleue, which has so far been out of my price range (but holidays are coming). I have not yet opened it, but am most anxious to give it a try.

By Artemis on Saturday, September 23, 2000 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Alright boys and girls, here's the glad tidings: It's GOOD! Never have I had in my hands a bottle of commercially-produced absinthe that was in any danger of guzzlement, until now. I simply don't like anise or citrine flavors well enough to keep drinking any of the Spanish absinthes at one sitting. But this La Fee! I can't keep my hands off it!

This stuff is different. It is NOT overwhelmed by anise. Its "nose" is herbal and well- balanced, with mint the dominant scent, although not by a large margin. Anise is there, but in its proper place. The color is darker than that of Mari Mayans. La Fee is much more emerald than peridot. The color is of course artificial, which would be given away by the clear bottle, if the back label had not already spelled it out: "E131, E102, Caramel". The label also specifies "green anise, wormwood, hyssop, lemon balm, star anise" and other herbs not specifically called out. Mint is obviously one of these.

The scent in the glass is surprisingly non-alcoholic, considering the published content of 68%. Side by side, Mari Mayans 70% smells much rougher. The louche is not as white as that of Mari; La Fee's emerald tint hangs in there to create a glorious minty green louche (well, that's just the green dye dominating, but it IS pretty). Achieving a significant louche without a lot of anise is no mean feat, and the makers of this stuff have done a good job of pulling that off, if nothing else, but fortunately for us, there IS something else: flavor!! And what a flavor: subtle, balanced, floral, and refreshing. This absinthe has much more of an herbal character than the Spanish products. It has a nice bitter edge, just enough to offset the overall presence in the mouth, which is sweet and minty. Sugar further hightens the mint/floral character, and I prefer it that way. La Fee is surprisingly smooth considering its alcoholic strength, way smoother than MM 70%, whose alcoholic bite always seems to hang with me like a bouncer's rough hand on my shoulder.

The "effects" are exactly the same as I've come to expect from Deva, but I've got to say, I prefer La Fee over Deva, hands down, no contest. In fact, it's superior to any commercial product I've had by a long shot, which speaks well for the traditional French recipes, as opposed to the anise tree in which the Spanish products have apparently roosted since the Belle Epoch (or maybe they were always up there; who knows?).

The bad news is the bottle is only 70cl; it's a slim volume that could easily be consumed cover to cover in one sitting by a couple or three eager drinkers. This is extremely disappointing considering the relatively high price.
The label is very attractive in an old fashioned, minimalist tone, with a green all-seeing eye (shades of the Illuminati) over crossed springs of Artemisia on a white background with red lettering.

I highly recommend this product. It is what absinthe is supposed to be about. I would prefer to have natural coloring, which would add additional flavor complexity as well, but this is a very fine product just as it is.

I understand Bettina's original allotment is already all spoken for, but any absintheur who can afford to part with $120 will be doing himself a disservice if he doesn't try to get his hands on a bottle of La Fee.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation