An Open Letter

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:An Open Letter
By Fellraven on Sunday, October 01, 2000 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Crysippus

If you think a #absinthe IRC channel would work go for it, but best to register it to prevent hostile takeovers etc.

If you need official sponsors (eg as on Undernet) you have my support.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:13 pm: Edit

"There is one good, knowledge, and one evil ignorance, and it should be always borne in mind that leisure without literature is death, or rather the burial of a living man."

- Seneca paraphrasing Socrates and interjecting like always....

By Tabreaux on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:06 pm: Edit

"Ignorance is bliss."

And like virginity, it is the something that can't be regained once lost, yet is more appreciated once lost.

By Marc on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Don,

I'm liking it all. It sure beats riffing on prices, sources and which Spanish brand is best. Though, I hope you and nephilim reach a truce. He's a good guy, makes a delicious absinthe and drives a very cherry motorcycle.
I'm glad I know jackshit about absinthe-making.
I 'm out of the line of fire. Ignorance is bliss.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:45 pm: Edit

I love this board..I really do..We need a chat room on IRC or something..what do you think #Absinthe....ha!

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Marc: didn't you like the Spanish Inquisition riff?

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Honestly, I think all your 'absinthe making as spiritual Way' stuff is just
so much dishwater.

A bad rewrite of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.' q.v.

What do I get out of making absinthe?

Absinthe!

I live in a nation of 65 million Buddhists. When I hunger for spirituality I
don't have to invent the Tao of Alcohol.

By Marc on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Once you subtract all the personal horseshit out of these posts, there's actually some interesting information to be found, a random glittering jewel
amongst the steaming excrement.

Drama queens!

By Perruche_verte on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Oh, probably about as much good as you just did all of us, fool.

I suppose that should be "foole" with the final "e", as the great George Carlin would insist.

Now, back to this riveting philosophical discussion.

When will my damned absinthe arrive? It's been 9 days.

By well you didnt think i was gonna post under my real name did you on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 03:28 pm: Edit

seriously though, just listen to your selves get of your high horses ALL OF YOU what good does any of this pointless back biting and bickering do anyone

By well you didnt think i was gonna post under my real name did you on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 03:25 pm: Edit

*Cough* WANKERS

By the nephilim on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Ted,

Thank you for your sharing the fuel for your fire,
the inspiration for your journey. We walk
similar but different paths. This is neither right
nor wrong, just different and that is perfectly
okay.

Don, please speak for yourself as Ted has
done. Tell us honestly what you get from this
experience.
--
the nephilim

By Tabreaux on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:39 pm: Edit

To 'the nephilim', FWIW, I am not offended, so no apology is sought, whether it was deserving or not. Even so, I much prefer a steady stream of civil attitudes (by everyone) over the vicious cycle of attacks and apologies.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Did my post come across as pretentious? I don't see how you could arrive at that conclusion.

But then again, your just another nameless, gutless slacker who has *nothing* to contribute but a chicken-shit comment. About all you can do is make a shoe stink you petty little troll. Go get back on your knees and earn another $10.

By Fonzie on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Dear "."

As your name implies, you must be suffering from PMS.

By . on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:24 pm: Edit

What an amazingly pretentious couple of posts.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:21 pm: Edit

To express my experiences in terms of a journey, what started as a mere weekend 'vacation' turned out to be a voyage around the world, lasting many years, and costing a small fortune in resources.

As to if any 'reward' lies at the end of this journey (if it indeed has an end), that depends on how you define "reward". Quite honestly, I don't expect a 'reward' to be a financial one, although recouping my sacrifices would be helpful. I don't expect a 'reward' to be kudos and 'atta-boy' slaps on the back, although a little gratification in the end wouldn't be so bad. No sir, I didn't chase this thing to the ends of the earth for money and/or consumer satisfaction. If there is any 'reward', it would be simply to think that I've managed to solve every aspect of this scientific and historical mystery, which has been twisted and maligned for the better part of 200 years. Needless to say, I am not there yet, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel.

When the subject of absinthe comes to be discussed, people hold onto this picture which they've painted with the resources of late 20th century misinformation, propaganda and mystique. Meanwhile, I've long since let that go, and now view this subject from an entirely different point of view. The viewpoint I've cultivated is one which strives to see things they way they were seen some 100 years ago. Whether from the viewpoint of a producer, consumer, or whatever, absinthe was viewed much differently than 'we' view it today. Furthermore, the artisans of old knew things that we assume they couldn't have known, but yet they did. In conrast, despite everything we have available to us in this day and age, we are in the dark. The disparity between what they knew and what we think we know is stark if not pathetic. Regardless, it is difficult to catch up with 100+ years of development with a few years of research, no matter how much time, money, and equipment you have at your disposal.

This has opened my eyes to things all but obscured when one depends on modern literature and anecdotes for his perception. To the contrary, I find that the most intriguing aspects of this subject are the things which have been entirely disregarded and forgotten. I suppose one could say that I tend to function on a different 'frequency'.

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:00 pm: Edit

On the contrary: you presumed to state Ted's goals (and mine), you ascribed crass and greedy motives to us, and that my friend is hubris. Don't take your handle too seriously. You're not On High. You aren't Ted's confessor nor his psychiatrist. So how do you know the secrets of his heart and mind? Much less, mine. Do I have to quote your post to you?

Never mind, I am talking to the wind. If you don't think you need to make an apology to Ted, then I feel sorry for you. For all your philosophical pose and cant, you really are pretty hollow. Or so it appears. Too petty to say you're sorry. I already did and I'm not much given to apologies.

By the nephilim on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 12:45 pm: Edit

I have not made a single disparaging
comment to or about Ted. I have been
respectful to all but you (because of my initial
post.) But that is being rectified even now.

I comment on my own experiences. And yes, I
draw lines of comparisons. I don't believe that
Ted's journey was entirely unspiritually
fulfilling and motivated solely by other aspects,
but cannot say for certain. Why do you think I
asked him?

Ted is his own man as he's shown us here.

Have a good day at work, Don.
--
the nephilim

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 12:17 pm: Edit

As for myself: I will make a general apology to the board. I was drunk the other night but that wasn't the problem. I was also in a particularly foul mood (nothing to do with anyone on the Forum) and those two conditions concatonated to produce an unpleasant situation indeed. I oughtn't to have been as rude as all that. I shoudln't have gone off on good old Luger, with whom I have already made peace privately. That was partially honest disagreement, and partially misunderstanding, but it should never have escalated into pyrotechnics,

Sorry I brought the rest of you down. Didn't mean to. I don't always project well in cyber. In person I am a lovable rogue, sort of like a cross between Falstaff and Uncle Fester. Just ask the noble Mr Breaux, who has spent time in my company on two continents, most recently 11 days in Bangkok living and working here at the house, making absinthe. In cyber I sometimes don't sound so convivial. It's my fault.

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Nephilim:

You, sir, presume to know the goals, motives, and very souls of others.

And you call ME arrogant.

I really have nothing more to say to you. I think you owe Ted Breaux an apology. Don't bother about me.

By the nephilim on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:39 am: Edit

Don wrote:

"I simply think that someone contemplating
getting into DIY ought to weigh the unlikely
rewards versus the very real risks. "

We are mostly in perfect agreement.

The rewards of DIY ventures of any sort are
measured in the journey as well as the
results. They go hand in hand. To say "unlikely
rewards" (based on quality of finished
product) is unfair and cheapens any journey of
creation. How lazy is our society if it thinks that
if something can't be done perfectly the first
time it isn't worth doing at all? This is a
spiritually devoid sentiment.

Ted has stated previously that if he knew at
the beginning of his journey how hard it would
be he might not have started down this road.
I'm saddened by this because it is indicative of
our larger societal influence. Surely you must
agree, Ted, that the person you are now has
been radically altered by your journey of
discovery (for the better, I'm sure.) Is this not
an incredibly special and hidden reward for
the culmination of your journey? (I realize that
you are still on the path, so culmination is not
the perfect word for this moment, but you get
the idea.) Ultimately, for those truly dedicated,
it's not about absinthe. Ted has used the term
"his life's passion" and i would have to agree
with him on that count.

The very real risks I DO conceed to and
wholeheartedly agree that they should be
discussed in GREAT depth. It has been said
that I gloss over these dangers. The
discussions at those moments were about
other issues and detail to risks would have
been a tangent to the topic at hand.

Yes there are risks. Physical safety and legal
issues that really are no joke. And everyone
getting involved should enter upon any
endeavor with their eyes wide open. Before
getting a motorcycle I thought long and hard
about the potentially serious and life
threatening risks inherant to the sport. I could
die. I could be seriously maimed. I could be
paralyzed. I thought about it for 10 years before
I finally did it. I did it because I WANTED to do
it. I prepared myself by approaching the
situation in such ways as to minimize the
amount of risk involved. NOTHING is 100%
safe as safety is devoid of all risk. One can
only work to minimize the risks at hand.

People still jump out of airplanes, ride
rollercoasters, surf, go to really loud rock and
roll concerts. Risk is everywhere and
ANYONE's involvement in any activity should
be their fully cognizant acceptance of said
risks. This forum should be a tool for people
to learn about those risks. Here are the facts,
make your own decision. It shouldn't be a
negative the smack down of "don't even
bother, don't even try" which I am so
passionately speaking out against.

Justin just gave me the perfect example of
what I'm talking about. He asked questions
which were answered to him. He weighed his
risks and made an adult decision not to
proceed. Others will make a similar or
different decision based on if someone (this
forum hopefully) can give them accurate pros
and cons to what they're setting out to do.

Don, I'm not nearly as combative as you would
make me out to be. My first post on this forum
in close to a year's time was quite a deluge of
id and I'm not proud of that. The last response
of yours that i read in the "Temperature" thread
was written with a tone of civility in it that was
most welcomed. Don't let that be as
short-lived as your recent posts here indicate.
--
the nephilim

By Cardinal Fang on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:35 am: Edit

That's TWO!

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:30 am: Edit

crap...uhhh I meant Bishop Crowley...not Aleister..forgot all about the Inquisition..and it is a beanie not a yarmukle..

errrr

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:26 am: Edit

Speaking of celestial conspiracy..I just my copy of Mr. Crowley's wax cylinder recording made 1910-1914..I must say it is chilling to hear Aleister C reading The calls to the Enochian Aethyr in Enochina (well atleast in the Golden Dawn's corruption of Enochian). The CD contains around 14 tracks including poetry, readings from the gnostic mass, and those calls...great find.

take care

J

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:18 am: Edit

That's the worst kind -- heaven knows,

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:14 am: Edit

The Pope is working with the Nephilim?? Sounds a like a celestial conspiracy to me.

By Cardinal Number on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 10:06 am: Edit

And we're going to lurk till we have identified ALL heretics. We owe Sir Nephilim a lot of favors.

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:57 am: Edit

Damn, that tears it, they're here already.

By Cardinal Sin on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:56 am: Edit

Our THREE main weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and a fanatical dedication to the Pope.

By Cardinal Klaw on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:54 am: Edit

Our TWO chief weapons are fear, surpise, and ruthless efficiency.

By Cardinal Fang on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:52 am: Edit

NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Our chief weapon is fear, and surprise!

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:49 am: Edit

Careful, C.! Sir Nephilim, Knight of the Illuminati and Defender of the DIYers is going to spit you on his lance and accuse you of mopery with intent to gawk, for daring to agree with me, after all, I have a "fuck the world, eat it, looser" attitude.

(I'm still trying to figure out what a 'looser' might be. Opposite of tighter, I suppose.)

But be warned! Sir N. has marked me as outcast for daring to suggest that making your own Fairy might not be all it's cracked up to be. I'm a heretic, and he plans to burn me at the still, or impale me on a soxhlet extractor or something.

Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

By Tabreaux on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:47 am: Edit

I am not anti DIY, but what is DIY to all but a very few is usually beyond the capabilities and expertise of 99.9% of persons out there. This is true of any specialized activity which presents distinct hazards. Likewise, I find it interesting that the persons who promote such ventures seem to be either oblivious to or in denial of the extent of these hazards. You don't see much discussion where that is concerned.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:13 am: Edit

I agree with Don. I have a good friend in town(actually he is in Tupelo)who is very familar with the art of distallation and makes some of the best liquers around. Matter of fact he was around 2 steps from getting set up for commercial production (had a car accident and drained him and left him racked for a while) Well I apporoached him for help in distilling and from the horror stories he has told me I decided to stay away from the notion..a few months later I met Ted and things worked themselves out for the better.

I can understand the DIY mentality, but for the novice with little or no background it is crazy to try...like taking a "how to make a solidox bomb" from some txt file that has been around since arpnet and trying to blow up a mailbox...maybe it will work maybe you will lose you hand.

just my humble opinion

Justin

(anyone where I can get a copy of Pseudo-Agrippa's 4th book of the Liber Occulta Philosophorum? perhpas a Latin edition?)

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 08:57 am: Edit

I wouldn't describe my position (or Ted's -- we are seperate entities not clones or some gestalt consciousness) as anti-DIY. Ted himself is usually described as the King of DIY. My own DIY career was shortlived, but nonetheless we both come out of there.

I simply think that someone contemplating getting into DIY ought to weigh the unlikely rewards versus the very real risks.

By Perruche_verte on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 06:47 am: Edit

Please don't let these anonymous posters get you down.

In a funny kind of way, they belong here too. They are like the clowns in a Shakespeare play.

Just go on doing what you do, and do it well.

BTW, Ted and Don, it's odd that you're so anti-DIY. Yes, there are issues of safety and legality, and you have covered them well. But I should imagine that someone who had tried to produce good absinthe would be that much more likely to purchase a Jade product. They'd realize what a bargain it was.

I have never distilled anything and probably never will. I realize my human limitations -- I am the sort of person who burns frozen pizza in the oven while talking to friends on the phone. Not good still operator material. But I've homebrewed beer and ale, with some success, and guess what? I still go to the liquor store.

I can't make a St. Ambroise stout more cheaply than I can buy one, at least not by much. The process of brewing is enjoyable in itself, but there is a fair amount of work involved too. Much of the time I would rather kick back and let someone else do it.

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:39 am: Edit

Well, I wasted fewer electrons by far than did hmmmm

By Marc on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:29 am: Edit

Don,

don't waste your breath. Cyber or otherwise.

By Don Walsh on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 01:24 am: Edit

BTW, the anonymous post by 'gump' below is a prime example of the abuse of this privilege to mount a cheap ad hominum attack -- in this instance, against me.

Cheap shot, cyber cretin. Take them while you can. No one is impressed.

By Black_rabbit on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 11:18 am: Edit

Perhaps a happy medium- could it be set up so one can be allowed to read without registering, but it requires registration to post?

Please don't go Ted! Try to read around the crap :-)

I am suprised we don't get more trolls in here than we do. I guess it's just because Absinthe is such a rarefied topic.

Personally, I dislike attacks of an emotional nature. If you must attack a position, go for it! Debate is good. But don't say things like 'oh yeah? Well you just suck!' That sort of thing gets us nowhere.

I guess something has to change though- people do lave this forum from hurt feelings or from being bored with reading too many childish arguments. IMHO, it should be our own behaviour.

By Marcellin on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 11:09 am: Edit

My 1 cents worth. Ted do not flee - 80% of all I know about absinthe has come from you (the other 20% from the rest of this esteemed flock). I am like Midas, I do not very often post, but I DO read this forum daily, it's like my newspaper.

The only reason I don't use my Christian name is because I personally find it somewhat dreary. It bores me. Marcellin seems to fit for now. I do list my e-mail for whatever that's worth - 1 cents I surmise.

peace to all,
Marcellin

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 08:22 am: Edit

With regards to the email address issue, I am forced to agree with the anonymous TimK that any idiot can set up a dummy email address and thus remain anonymous. However, since this process requires a modicum of effort, it may dissuade some people from posting some of the more trifling innanities. I am not against making it a posting requirement. However, I am strongly opposed to making registration a requirement to view the forum at all. Many internet clubs do this, and as a result die of general disinterest. Who wants to be forced to join something they know nothing about, just to find out about it?

TimK is sadly mistaken, on the other hand, about anonymity being the beauty of the internet. It simply sets the stage for cowardly,intellectual vandalism, in the current context, which is decidedly ugly.

Besides, it takes extraordinary effort to become anonymous on the web in the way that counts: corporations track and monitor you, buy and sell your demographic profile. The FBI can identify you at will via a homing code in your CPU (P3's anyway). If you want to remain anonymous, a computer terminal is the last place you should be. Conversely, if you want to be a skulking, mosquito-like annoyance to people who otherwise wouldn't walk across the street to piss on your shoes, well... it's heaven.

K.

By Gump on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 08:03 am: Edit

stupid is as stupid does.
Now we know all about the LITTLE D.W.

By Midas on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 07:59 am: Edit

OK guys, my two cents (and it probably is worth about that):
Firstly, it's true that this forum gets very heated occasionally. Sometimes, it's petty and useless, but mostly it is between learned people stating their case regarding a subject close to all our hearts. For me, this shows passion, and in that respect, it is good. Most of the time the arguments themselves are not intended to be defamatory, but some people understandably take it personally. It all depends on your constitution, and how you respond to criticism. Criticism of a statement, not your purpose on earth, your mother, or anything else.
This is really a matter of respect. Respect those that know, and if something is said that you don't like, take a breath before replying to it.
I don't often post a message here, but I DO lurk. In fact I'm here every day. I read all the threads, and even though I'm relatively new to this forum, I like to think that I am a part of the absinthe community, as is everyone else here, in varying degrees.
Tabreaux/Ted, I get where you're coming from, but don't get your coat and leave. Your input is valued. As is Don's, Anatomist's, Artemis's, Betty's, et al.
This forum is an important source of information for alot of people. I know I've learned alot in my short time here, and I thank all the regulars for that, and especially Kallisti for giving us the arena to voice our views.
That's all I have to say. Time for a drink.
- Robert.

By Don Gump on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 04:47 am: Edit

Dear Marc

Churlish is as churlish does.

-- Forrest Walsh

By Don Walsh on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 01:02 am: Edit

Marc,

It's not a matter of not being able to take the heat.

However (and I am not mixing metaphors) the flame just isn't worth the candle.

By Marc on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 12:34 am: Edit

Don,

I find it amusing that in this thread you are complaining of the churlish behaviour of others while in another thread you are instructing anatomist on the proper method of sticking his head up his own ass. A characteristic of a churl is vulgar behaviour. I think telling someone that their head is up their ass qualifies as such. Of course, being a foul-mouthed freak myself, I enjoy such gross humor. But, let's be honest about it.

By TimK on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 12:12 am: Edit

Why do you all get so wound up because people dont post an e-mail address, if your really that bothered, then we could just get hold of 1253894h@hotmail.com and never read what mail arrives! Get a grip, if people dont want to post an e-mail address then what right do you all have to make them. The beauty of the internet is anonymity, you think having someones e-mail address will do what? E-mail addresses are cheap and easy to come by all it will do is discourage the casual poster who would have to register.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 10:26 pm: Edit

I belong to around 10 forums on the net ranging in topic from Agrippa to Absinthe and back and I must say this forum sparks some of the most violent emotions from people. It is both pleasing and frightning to see people so passionate about absinthe. I just hope that it doesn't result in more respectable people leaving the forum. I miss alot of the posts from some of the veterans of the old forum, and it seems as they left things started to get pathetic (in the Greek sense moreso than the English).

I have to agree with Ted. Almost all of the other forums I belong to are academic and require regestration to post. I know with this message board it is possible to set that up. Maybe we need two rooms a public and a private, I am not sure what will help. I do hate to see people who have done considerable research being degraded by neophytes..it is just sad. Perhaps there is a solution, but I have considered many times to just sit back and lurk to avoid the drama now commonplace on this forum...

In the end it is madam Kallisti who is the judge, and I will agree with whatever she thinks is appropriate.

In Spe

J

By Marc on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Don,

just because a person posts an e-mail address doesn't make him or her any less anonymous. Some of us in the forum have posted our webpages (yourself, anatomist, brotherben and me). I have nothing to hide, anyone can read about my life and musical projects at my site. Posting an e-mail address is not the same as declaring who you are. So, I am unclear as to why you feel including an e-mail address with a post is so important.

Don, you and I have "gone at it" in the past. You can be a tough and sometimes ruthless opponent in an argument. I've seen you decimate people you disagree with. You have admitted in the past to having a temper and a short fuse. Are you really unwilling to take some of the medicine you have doled out in the past? Both you and Ted have held a very high position here in the forum. You have used that position to educate as well as to intimidate. Now, in the face of some criticism, you retreat. This is uncool. As a Buddhist, you are aware of the middle path. Follow it. Ignore the bullshit, it's always gonna be there. Or better yet, use it. My teacher, Chogyam Trungpa
Rinpoche, described negative energy as "the manure of the bodhi field" (the shit of reality). He said it was important to realize that negative energy is useable energy, like shit, it can help make things grow. Don, good friend, use the negative energy, transmutate it into something positive and worthwhile. For an old alchemist
like yourself, this should be a breeze.

Excuse me if I'm coming off as some self-righteous windbag. I am not trying to preach here. I find myself in the rare position of being emotionally detached from some of the drama that is occuring in the forum these days. I've never thought of myself as being a voice of reason, but I do believe that maybe I am today.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 09:00 pm: Edit

I appreciate the words of wisdom. I am sure you all know that I am of firm backbone, and I don't mind my knowledge being challenged any more than I mind regular discussion. I don't mind a bit of sarcasm here and there, but some of the accusations and nonsense I've been dragged into is downright gutless.

As you all know, I am doing a good deal of analytical research. This doesn't come cheap. I've had to sacrifice quite a lot to do it. I'll release certain aspects of this at the proper time and in the proper place. It will be of consumer value, and will answer many outstanding questions, including some which have been posed most recently.

The drinkable products in development are nearing completion. Unfortunately, there has been so much hype generated, that I am expecting a very high degree of scrutiny, maybe unfairly high. Likewise, I expect harsh criticism from those who do not wish to see these products be successful. Regardless, these products will accurately fit their respective descriptions, no more, no less. You can read the descriptions when the proper time arrives.

By Don Walsh on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Kallisti, Ted's right. It's time to see to it that those who are abusing the anonymity you allow, no longer have that opportunity.

As for myself I do not presently feel disposed to hang around here. Don't worry. Jade Liqueurs goes forward. It's because so that I no longer have as much time to linger here. It's because of a few churls that I certainly don't feel much inclination.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Since I am most certainly being denounced as a sad, childish, persistent troll here, and Don said I had my head up my ass on another thread, I would like to say a few words.

Believe it or not, I can relate to how you feel, Ted, but I think Marc is right: this post is downright depressing. I have tried my hand at a few forums, and I am frequently disappointed with the kind of responses people give. The sad fact is, the general public isn't all that thoughtful or imaginative, but when life gives you lemons...

I enjoy philosophical arguments, and I also enjoy goofing around. I enjoy drinking. I enjoy drinking absinthe. I don't know a damn thing about chemistry. I'm a mischevious, irreverent artist who by and large doesn't give a rat's ass about social conventions, or any conventions whatsoever that I didn't explicitly agree to. As such, I think I have a connection to the spirit of many of absinthe's history's most famous personalities. Any absinthe forum worth its sugar has got to be able to accomodate irrascible assholes like me, or it's nothing but a museum of dessicated academics.

Listen to Marc, as he is our medicine man. Let idiocy flow over you like water off the dorsal side of a Mallard: you'll live longer, and enjoy it more. Although no one with any sense would elect me to speak for them, I would be willing to wager that most of us here bear no serious malice toward you or Don, as we expect you to deliver an absinthe that is, in essencel, the Savoy Truffle.

K.

By Bob Chong on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Without kissing any ass, I have to say that whenever I see a new post with Tabreax listed as the author, I read it.

You are the Cecil Adams of this forum. Keep the straight dope coming.

BC

By Marc on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Ted,

I appreciate your heartfelt post, but it seems you are overreacting to a few posts that simply questioned the extent of your knowledge. In an open forum, such questions or challenges should be expected. You have always been civil and thoughtful in your responses, so I am somewhat surprised at this bout of thin-skinnedness.
You know who you are and what you have accomplished and that's all that matters. Self-pity does not become you. Threatening to gather up your toys and leave the forum is childish.
I, for one, have always respected your knowledge.
I know next to nothing about the manufacture of absinthe. I admire your passion and determination to recreate a world-class traditional absinthe.
Ignore the those who poke and chide. They exist in all areas of life. They're jerks. But, those who are earnest in their questioning, or those who have doubts, should not be seen as the enemy.
They're just keeping all of us on our toes, even when they're wrong.

I think because you are in partnership with the irascible Don, you occasionally are in the line of fire that is directed at our man in the Big Mango. I have grown to enjoy Don's surliness and tough-mindedness because he backs it up with a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience (and I ain't just talking about absinthe). As I've said before, Don should not be the spokesmodel for your product.

This was not intended to sound like a lecture.
Think of it as a little friendly advice from an
older friend.

Peace, Marc

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 04:43 pm: Edit

I just want everyone here to know that this subject is something that I've been painstakingly researching from all angles for seven years now. In those years, I have invested a great deal of time, effort, and money into finding the means to unravel the information which cannot be found in books. This subject is my passion, and I take it very seriously. I have enjoyed conversing on this BB, and with the exception of a few sad, persistent trolls, most discussions have been enjoyable and interesting.

As far as the particulars in regard to absinthe making, there is so much to this subject, that if I had any idea what was involved from the beginning, I may not have embarked on this journey (sometimes wild goose chase). I suppose tasting the vintage stuff may as well have been the 'poison apple'. Needless to say, my commercial interests have been fueled by my passion for authenticity and accuracy, as well as a desire to reimburse my years of investment. I have made all efforts to purvey my good faith to the members of this board, most of them whom I find to be kind enthusiasts such as myself. Likewise, my only intention was to offer to my friends, a bit of the true, classic absinthe experience. I felt the best way to do this was my making a genuine commercial product available.

What has troubled me is the incessant poking, chiding, demeaning, childish, arrogant, and ignorant posts made on this BB...some of which are pointed at me. It all seems stupid to me, as I do my best to act like an adult and professional wherever I go. Likewise, I resent the anonymous posts, which are obviously filled with (penis) envy. I feel the want and need to be elsewhere than deal with the pain of seeing all this, even when it is not directed at me. I can only speak for myself in this matter, but I am in disbelief at the petty childishness I see exhibited and defended here. I don't want to leave the board, but I am more and more frequently appalled at what I see. This is giving me some troubled thoughts and reconsiderations. I wrote this in the hopes of cutting through all the nonsense and making it clear on where I stand. Personally, I feel above this, and I remain troubled.

....and Kallisti, it is time to make disclosure of identity a necessity here.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation