Are MM bending the truth?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Are MM bending the truth?
By Black_rabbit on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 06:56 am: Edit

well, Mari sure as hell probably didn't look just like antifreeze in 1880.

Did they do their coloration step with radiatorus fillerupum (anti-freeze berries to those of you unschooled in latin. I have a bush full of them right outside my place, right next to the transmission-fluid tree.)

:-)

By peter marc on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 11:25 am: Edit

interesting...the only other pernod bottle
i have seen with a label was machine-made and the
pernod fils seal was made in the mold. the label
had in small letters at the bottom a statement
that it was made in spain under license of pernod.
the 1918 date explains why the bottle was machine- made after the ban and was not a spin-
mold with a real glass seal...thanks for the info.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 11:03 am: Edit

Well most of the vintage advertisement if for pre-ban absinthe. Spanish absinthe production did not begin until around 1918 in Terragona with Pernod SA Terragona in which they began to make a 68% Absinthe which was probably just like the french pre-ban absinthe.

The reason why there are no advertisements is simple: Absinthe just wasn't popular in Spain. Even in the 20's when Hemingway was there he was drinking a yellow absinthe..probably a fake Pernod..really can't be for sure..

I have never see any spanish advertisement myself and I am trying to get my hands on some information about the history of the Spanish absinthe distillers. A friend of mine was in Spain and lived there for around a year and lived with a prominent wine taster who was rather knowledgable and wealthy. He was told that absinthe in Spain isn't popular for two reasons 1. They just don't have a taste for Anise like the French do, and they don't want to pick up french culture (Francophobia, same reason absinthe was banned in the USA)
2. A lot of people view it as a poison and as toxic..atleast near the French border in the Catalan areas it is thought to be so.

I may be going to Spain in the summer of 01 and I am going to chcek out Deva and Montana distillers see what I can come up with...

Well let the forum know if I come up with anything.. As far as the Mari Mayans absinthe being around since 1880, I think the MM distillery could have been open since then but i doubt if they had been making absinthe for that long..

Hope the forum cools down a bit.

Take care

Justin

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 10:17 am: Edit

FWIW, there are a lot of claims out there in absinthe land which may be presented in such a manner as to allude to something, which may range from mostly correct to totally bogus. Most of these are made by distributors (as opposed to manufacturers). I can think of a dozen of them off the top of my head. For these reasons, you can't take these things too seriously. As far as this particular claim, I have no idea how of where it fits.

FWIW however, even if the claim in question were true, the product almost certainly wouldn't be the same any more than modern Pernod is the same as old Pernod.

By Midas on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 09:19 am: Edit

I've seen quite a bit of vintage advertising, but you're right, not much, if any for spanish brands. That's why I asked the question, I'm interested to see if anyone has.
- Robert.

By peter marc on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 08:30 am: Edit

how much promotional advertising for absinthe
have you actually seen? and for spain?
i assure you there isn't much around for anyone
except pernod and i have never seen any for
spanish absinthe (not that i have spent much time
in spain but there isn't really anything for the
products that exist even now)...if anyone has seen ads for spanish absinthe other than the uk promotions, please share your experience...

By Midas on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 08:06 am: Edit

I looked at my Mari Mayans bottle recently, and it says that MM was established in 1880. Now, I'm assuming that they mean they've been making absinthe since then. However, I have never seen a vintage ad or any promotional material for MM from that period. Am I missing something?
- Robert

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation