Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Salvia?
By Don Walsh on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 08:27 pm: Edit

There are plenty of people -- some of whom have posted here -- who confuse absinthe with laudanum, who describe absinthe as a narcotic, or an opiate, and characterize it as addictive in a different sense than alcoholism.

So it's important to make a sharp distinction.

We enjoy a virtually free hand with absinthe, all of us, because the US authorities are paying no attention to absinthe and aren't bothering to enforce their own laws. So about the only thing we can't do is walk into a liquor store in the US and buy absinthe.

It wouldn't take much to disturb that delicate balance and get the feds all upset. They don't have to pass a single new law, they would just have to enforce the ones they have and we'd all be screwed. I don't think any of us wants to see that happen.

I don't have to tell any of you what the anti-drug climate is like in the US of A these days. I'm not making any kind of value judgement here as to whether that is good or bad, I am just saying: we as absinthe drinkers don't need any part of all that crap, do we? So it's in OUR collective interests to give the whole subject a wide berth...this isn't a free speech issue. This isn't a civil liberties issue. This is just a common sense, self interest matter. I don't see this as self censorship. I think drugs are just about as off topic as anything on this Forum, and to go off topic and maybe do ourselves harm in the process, well, is just dumb.

By Marc on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 03:36 pm: Edit

I want to make one thing clear: when I discuss anything illegal in this or any forum, it is merely talk not advocation. I do not advocate breaking any laws. I do, however, believe in free speech. I have also been very clear that, in my own experience, absinthe does not resemble in it's effects any illegal drug that I am familiar with. In a forum devoted to something as historically interesting as absinthe, a beverage that has been banned (as drugs have been), it is difficult not to veer into discussions about other taboo subjects. I agree with Don that there's the possibility of guilt by association. There are numbskulls who will misread what is being said here and jump to incorrect conclusions.
The dillema is do we censor ourselves because of
the ignorance of others? Or do we continue to talk about all subjects freely and openly?

Just asking.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 01:41 pm: Edit

and I delcare this thread dead and over for the good of eveyone :)

By McGruff on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Opium is like wearing a comfortable warm cloak, numbing with a warmth that reminds me of the effect after eating a hot pepper, the way your face flushes.
Opium is still readily available in the US. havn't seen a shortage of it since 1991, still flows all over, it's just who you know. There are vials of extremely clean liquid white fluff, powerful stuff. lbs of hash, shrooms, and chronic here in my home state. There's never a shortage when it come to the head.

By Midas on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 09:16 am: Edit

If anyone wants any info on opium, email me. I'm an opium antique collector, and could probably answer any questions you may have. Actually, I've got a copy of 'Opium for the Masses' in my lap as we speak. How's that for synchronicity? Also, I'm very proud to say that I just got my hands on an 1850 copy of De Quincey's 'Confessions of an English Opium Eater', published before the god awful revised edition.
Don's got a point. I could talk about opium til armageddon, but we don't really want a first time visitor to put opium and absinthe in the same mental box.

By Don Walsh on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 08:55 am: Edit

For the sake of ALL of us, not the least Kallisti, if you guys want to discuss opium, pls take it private or else find a different forum to discuss it on.

I thought it was generally agreed that distancing absinthe from the drug culture is a Good Thing.

So kindly exhibit some common sense and discretion, please.

By Bob Chong on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 05:14 am: Edit

Regarding opium, it is too bad that it has become passe in this country. Fifteen years ago the stuff was plentiful and pretty inexpensive. Heroin was not "chic" (yet), which meant that opium was left as opium rather than being converted into more potent stuff. Opiates are never that scarce in this country, but opium is. The opium lamp ritual is every bit as cool (if not cooler) than the absinthe drip ritual.

Alas, I am no longer the person who would partake of such things, so it doesn't matter to me that opium is impossible to find. But I wouldn't mind smelling the stuff smoldering away--it really is a wonderful scent. Arguably the best smelling smoke ever.

By Forrest V.Smith on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 04:51 am: Edit

Mutant is as mutant does.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:47 am: Edit

You have no idea the people I am around here in town...but Marc I have to give it to you..from your website it seems like you should have been on the news with the words "after 26 days of negotiation."

Just messing with you...if anyone wants an idea of what the bistro of the belle epoch was like they should spend a week in here...

- J

By Marc on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:34 am: Edit

Your welcome to visit me anytime. But, I must warn you, I'm alot scarier in person than I am

By Chrysippvs on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:00 am: Edit

Like I said drugs just don't spike an interest in me too much..I am just interested after reading some different things...

Marc you remind me of a good friend of mine..if I am ever in New York mind if I look you up?

By Marc on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Opium is illegal in the USA. Don't break the law.

By Marc on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Opium is extremely difficult to obtain in this country (USA) and as a result it's very expensive. In order to really explore the opium high you have to smoke alot of it over a period of several hours. A very pricey proposition. The high varies according to how much you smoke. A small quantity is relaxing and mind-numbing. It's not an intellectual drug, you don't think on it, you just stare off into space. In larger quantities, the line between the subconscious and conscious mind is blurred. I've actually entered states where I didn't know if I were awake or dreaming. This is what I imagine astral travelling to be like. Overall, opium is neither an introspective drug or a playful drug, it is a hypnotic. Considering the cost and the risk involved in obtaining opium, I don't think the high offsets the price and the hazards.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:19 pm: Edit

I am amazed everyday when I learn of yet another mind altering substance...

Thoughts on opium..I am somewhat interested but have never touched a substance in my life...probably won't..what is it like exactly?

By Marc on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 04:26 pm: Edit

I have a bottle of the liquid. I have not tried it. I did speak to the foremost expert on salvia
(he also grows salvia and makes the essence)and he told me that the Emerald Goddess essence is primarily used as a meditation enhancement. In other words, it's effects are subtle. The smokeable enhanced leaf is another thing entirely.
Believe me blackjack, those leaves will even blow your "mutant" mind.

I am not endorsing the use of psychedelics. I have used them to great advantage, but, like all sacraments, they should be appraoched with reverence and respect.

By blackjack on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I was using the extract, and even at 6X the recommended dose, it did nothing (and tasted so bad I wasn't about to try for have to sit there with the stuff under your tongue for minutes...blah...) I might do better with smoking, but as I said, I am remarkibly drug resistant (which is a real bummer when you need the damn Allegra to work...) and I'm probably not going to spend any more money on Salvia when I could buy cigars, absinthe or whip-its...

By Marc on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 02:24 pm: Edit

you have to smoke the enhanced leaves. These are leaves that have been sprayed with Salvinoren A.
You can order them in various strengths: 5x,10x or 25x. This is powerful stuff. It's a short duration trip (2 minutes), but it's very intense.
People tend to have out-of-body expreiences with it, so you should never do it alone. You'll walk into walls or fall out of your chair. This stuff is not for amateurs. It is legal, readily available, but should not be taken lightly. It's not a recreational herb. My experiences with it have been very gratifying but not what would normally be called "fun". Salvia divinorum was used for hundreds of years by shamans in Northern Mexico. It is a member of the mint family. It's very hard to find in the wild. There are several people who are growing it for human experimentation.

By blackjack on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 09:44 am: Edit

I couldn't get Salvia to do diddly to me, but I'm a mutant and almost no drugs (theraputic or recreaonal) work right on me.

By Marc on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 07:22 pm: Edit

What's cactus juice?

By Azee on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 07:09 pm: Edit

They're still distilling cactus juice with peyote, the forbidden green stuff that gets you so high!

By Marc on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 04:34 pm: Edit

It is better to smoke salvia than drink it. It's powerful stuff and making an alcoholic beverage out of it seems not only foolish but sacreligious. It would be like steeping peyote in vodka. What's the point? Peyote alone is a sublime high. Why corrupt it with alcohol? If you are genuinely interested in salvia divinorum, then purchase the enhanced leaves (10x) and smoke them. They are easily available online and they are legal.

By Jhoffa23 on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 04:21 pm: Edit

I'm curious as to what would happen if I were to go through the trouble of building my own still, and making absinth with alll the appropriate ingredients and then adding salvia to the mix. I would think that this would create quite the mind altering drink, eh?
any thoughts?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation