About to order first bottle; Need advice

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:About to order first bottle; Need advice
By Bob Chong on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Thanks, PV, tho' I'm just a candidate. It wasn't my final oral defense of my dissertation, just exams. But I drink a toast to your goodwill nonetheless.

BC

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 12:31 pm: Edit

anyone interested,

A strange cocktail my girlfriend likes is to mix 2 parts Segerra with 1 part deva (this is for a tall East glass with a double size dose)with a half tab of sugar and crushed ice just for a glacee feel if you like it(she does) fill with only a 1:2 water ratio or with seltzer water...

I haven't drank Spanish absinthe in so long..I think I may have a glass tonight to remind the palate...

By Perruche_verte on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 07:04 am: Edit

Congratulations, Dr. Bob.

By Bob Chong on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Perruche Verte:

You caught me. I guess I shouldn't be complaining. You nailed it: I am having a party. This week, I turned 30 and I passed my doctoral orals.

BC

By Perruche_verte on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Damned Bob Chong ;-)

You are, at last count, sitting on a "head stash" of 3 bottles of Segarra, plus 3/10ths of whatever was in your last Spirits Corner order, and you begrudge me one bottle each of Deva and Mari Mayans?

What are you doing, throwing a party? I wish I could come.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 02:55 pm: Edit

It would appear so.

By JKK on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 02:09 pm: Edit

I was told to use only Western Union money orders, if I didn't want to use a credit card. Maybe they have changed their policy.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Bryan R

Error in the e-mail address in my last post. It should read ( cristina@spiritscorner.com ), although I'm sure you've noticed this.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Bryan Rockstroh

Send an e-mail to Cristina at Spirits Corner ( cristina@spirtscorner.com ). She will give you details of their bank in Barcelona where you can send a Bank transfer in Euros (or Pesetas). You can do this through any bank in the UK so I'm sure it will be similar in the US. Cristina is a very helpful lady and will respond to you.

Although I have a credit card I am a Luddite by nature and don't trust the internet at all; (Although the cost of a Bank transfer from the UK is very little, nothing like $30!!!!!, I'm a mean ba...rd and to pay anything as much as $30 to a money grabbing banker for this service would cause me extreme physical pain).

I am eagerly awaiting my first delivery from Spirits Corner as I have only about a quarter bottle of Deva left and I'm going to finish this off in a few minutes time. It's lucky that deliveries to the UK take only 5-7 days, (or so I'm told).

Hobgoblin

By Bob Chong on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Damn you, Green Parrot! :-)

You wrote what I was gonna say whilst I was languishing in "preview message" mode.

Anyway, I further damn you for getting your SC order today. I got only 1/3 of my order today.

By Bob Chong on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Bryan:

Do you have a bankcard that can act as a Visa or MC? Most bankcards are like this nowadays.

BC

By Perruche_verte on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Many banks and credit unions now issue a debit card for their checking accounts. This can be used anywhere you'd use a VISA. It is easy to get one of these, even if you can't or won't get a credit card for whatever reason. My bank gave me one for nothing.

As for legality, about the worst consequence you apparently could face is having the absinthe confiscated. All that would show up on your friend's credit card statement would be a record that he'd ordered some kind of liquor from a shop in Spain. Not exactly high crime.

BTW, my SC order arrived today. All is right with the world, or at least it feels that way.

By Tabreaux on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

One option is to use a U.S. Postal International Money Order. You go to the P.O., and give them the cash. They give you a voucher, which you fill out and specify which currency you need it to be converted to (like Eurodollars). You mail off the voucher to a St. Louis address, and they mail the money order to the recipient. It takes several weeks for the recipient to get the money order.

If you go to the Main Office (usually downtown) of your bank, they usually have an International Dept. You give them the cash and a fee of $15-20, and they can print up an international voucher right there. You send it via Global Priority Mail (about $7), and it gets there in a few days.

Or, you can go to your local bank branch and process an international wire transfer from your account to the recipient's bank account. This takes about one day. It usually costs about $30.

By Bryan Rockstroh on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 11:33 am: Edit

Hi everyone,

Okay, here goes. I'm placing my first order from Spirits Corner. I haven't gotten a reply to my email query so I was wondering if anyone here has ordered with a check or money order. I don't have a credit card and I'm hesitant to ask my friend to use his credit card for something that's legally questionable. Does it have to be a certain kind of money order (like an international type -- or something) or can it just be a regular money order from the corner liquor store?

Thanks everyone

BR

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation