Archive through June 25, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Wheres' the absinthe Art?:Archive through June 25, 2000
By P.Jamma on Sunday, June 25, 2000 - 04:04 pm: Edit

It tasted so sweet
after using only three sugar cubes
I fell so high
that I don't even notice how drunk we were
I've all ready forgotten
about the things I forgot the day before
I've all ready slept
because all of that vomit was in my dream

By 12step.com on Sunday, June 25, 2000 - 11:06 am: Edit

haiku for you

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

Jack

By Marc on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 10:47 pm: Edit

haiku 3

absinthe mellows me
distant music, silver glow
Soul Train on t.v.

By Marc on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 10:38 pm: Edit

haiku 2

drink absinthe alone
watching the reflection of
your own emptiness

By niceguy on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 10:25 pm: Edit

here's a subtle variation on the previous
haiku:

choking some soft bloke
like absinthe: jade to soft white
my boot finds a home

no, wait, that's a little off...

how's this:

the mailman stopped by
peicemeal I stuff his body
into bags: Absinthe?

oops, how'd that come out?

uhh, ok

give me a few to think up some more

By Marc on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Well, based on these lyrics, I'd say absinthe
art, along with Van Gogh, is dead.

By P.Jamma on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Ooh, ooh child, things are gonna get louchier
Ooh, ooh, things 'll get whiter
Someday, we'll walk in the haze of a beautiful drunk
Someday things 'll get brighter.

By Marc on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 06:48 pm: Edit

an absinthe haiku

the glass glowing green
a feather falls from the sky
fairies everywhere

By ed on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 06:29 pm: Edit

A poem by ed

My glass is dry
My bottle empty
My shipment late
My stomach crampty

I need a fix
of green relief
the herb pharm
lacks the fruit motif

I know I'm hooked
this ain't no good
There's wormwood jonesin'
in this here neighborhood

By louchyagogo on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 03:08 pm: Edit

ode to ed

drinky drinky in the a.m.
makes eddy's poetry aesthetically phlegm
drinky drinky ed, not before 5
ed then make friends, get ointment for his hives

Ps your last name Wood Jr. by any chance?

By ed on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 06:32 am: Edit

A poem by ed

Drinky drinky
in the louche
I am thinky
throat go swoosh

Tastey treats
within the glass
knock me on my
stupid white ass

Louchey Louchey
goes the cup
better drink the
green stuff up

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 12:46 am: Edit

I would bear also in mind that absinthe was drank by most of the french population in the height of it's populatiry. The price per glass in 1900 was around 3 ff, whihc made it quite cheap and thus accesible to poverity striken poets and artists like Rimbaud and Van gogh. Also bear in mind they got what they paid for... 3ff for zinc cholride or worse elements added to the absinthe not made in the pontarlier region thus making it poison by and by. I just don't know if we can revive the spirit of the Belle Epoch..it was a different age on the verge of a war that would change the world forever and I think took with it the popularity of absinthe...although I completly hope I am wrong and I am doing all things in my power to see what I can do to make it happen.

Drink well

J

By james on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 08:08 am: Edit

Hi
We are in the process of putting together a contemporary absinthe art competition to produce a book. We already have some very interesting entries. I will keep you posted.
Thanks and enjoy
James

By tabreaux on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Actually, absinthe never was cheap. Absinthe began with high grade ethanol, distilled from wine ($), which was subjected to re-distillation ($$) and other cumbersome steps. Absinthe was popular with the higher social classes, and the trend trickled downward. Social trends of that magnitude are not typically begun by those of lower status. Since it became the fashion, which was a powerful thing in those days, the bohemian culture followed suit to be chic. Since there was a demand for this comparatively expensive drink, there was also a drive to make it cheaper, and the emergence of cheap, adulterated products seems to be where the problems begun.

As for today, the sad irony is that aside from being safer, most of the more expensive products (Czech) are just as inferior as the cheap brands of old. As far as its modern association with a rich lifestyle, this is just because the makers of these products target that crowd, luring them with the mystique of it all, and taking advantage of public ignorance. Rest assured that these products cost far less to make than your favorite gin, much less legitimate absinthe.

By royce on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Ted is a great source for absinthe science, but I'd say Kallisti is the person to ask about absinthe culture, she did put together this site after all. Absinthe isn't essentially inspiring. Prople don't create because of absinthe. When absinthe was cheap bohemians drank it, and it was associated with a creative bohemian lifestyle. Today absinthe is expensive, and it's (sorry, but it's true) associated with a nuveaux riche lifestyle. That's why you don't see any notable absinthe art: artists don't drink it. Want absinthe art? Buy a bottle for an artist.

By apollo on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 07:16 pm: Edit

everyone,
Sounds rather dissappionting that there seems not to be much going on. From what I've read on the forum, Ted seems to be the diffinative expert on the subject, and seems to know many people in the world of absinthe. Any thoughts Ted?
Also, by renaissance, I meant an absinthe renaissance. If renaissance means 'rebirth' then that seems to me whats' going on as far as absinthe goes. Maybe not. Doesnt really matter. Anyway, Thanks everyone.
Apollo

By SeaRobin on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 11:20 am: Edit

Darn, it seems as if Geocities will not let you connect to the movie file directly. Ok, go to my soon to be webpage and watch it from there if you wish.

http://www.geocities.com/absinthe_usa/

Please forgive this site....it is no where near being ready to be seen yet.

SeaRobin

By SeaRobin on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 11:15 am: Edit

Well, if it means anything....I'm an actor and filmmaker. You can check out my 15 sec. absinthe film at:

http://www.geocities.com/absinthe_usa/absinthe.avi

Its not much of a renaissance, but everything has to start somewhere.

SeaRobin

By JKK on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 10:45 am: Edit

As far as this renaissance goes, isn't it too early to tell? And if absinthe to most people means Hill's, as I suspect it does--helas!--one wouldn't expect anything of real value to come out of it, would one? We should probably wait for Don's reborn tradition to come into circulation to see some positive results.

By JKK on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 10:16 am: Edit

I would suspect Alain Robbe-Grillet, especially since absinthe is mentioned in Le Voyeur, but then again the drink has been illegal for most of the 20th century, and there hasn't been much underground use since the 1920s, so one shouldn't expect that it's had much of an influence on contemporary artists.

By Apollo on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Dear all,
All this talk of the science of absinthe is all very interesting and such, but where are all the artists and poets? Does anyone know of any real masterly modern works of Art or Poetry, or even Music, being created concerning/involving/or inspired by this absinthe renaissance?
Thanks, Apollo

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation