Archive through June 29, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Absinthe and Chartreuse:Archive through July 1, 2000:Archive through June 29, 2000
By Argon 39 on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 05:28 pm: Edit

At the below site they list this as a way to drink the Elixir Vegetal.

Use : a few drops on a lump of sugar straight or in a little sugared water in an infusion or a hot toddy in a cup of hot water.

Sounds familiar.

By Argon 39 on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 05:24 pm: Edit

http://www.chartreuse.tm.fr/

Official Site?

By Absintheur on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 01:56 pm: Edit

To expand upon the history of the Carthusian monastary, and what happened to it concurently with the absinthe ban:

In 1904 the Carthusian monastary was seized and nationalized, and the monks opened a new distillery in Tarragona, Spain (strange coincidence isn't it?). Meanwhile, for nearly ten years a private company, in colaboration with the French Government produced an imitation Chartreuse using virtually identical labeling.

The monastary was returned to monastic control and the monks were welcomed back into France in the mid 1910s (ironic, isn't it?), and induced to return to full production of Chartreuse, which was waived from the ban on herbal liqueurs.

By Don Walsh on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 11:48 am: Edit

Thank you Absintheur old friend! To paraphrase G.Orwell:

All animals are equal; but in France some animals are more equal than others.

Not only in France of course!

By Absintheur on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 11:24 am: Edit

"The official Chartreuse recipe is a famous 'secret' like the Coke formula, allegedly unfathomable. The mythos is, only three (or is it five?) people on the planet have the whole recipe."

I believe, the way they tell it, is that there are three monks, each with 1/3 of the 130 item recipe, each responsible for 1/3 of the process.

"What is the record of Chartreuse's fate during the franco-suisse all-herbal-liqueur bans?"

Chartreuse is granted medical waivers in France primarily due to it's premium product, Elixer Vegetal, and was thus essentially unaffected by the ban thanks to it's presumed salutary properties.

"Does modern Chartreuse Verte contain as ingredient, anything like 10-20 grams/liter wormwood?"

It's doubtful, but possible, that standard green Chartreuse (110 proof) contains this much. Premium green Chartreuse VEP (108 proof) very likely contains more -- and the product known as Elixer Vegetal (142 proof) very likely contains much more.

See the website for more information:

http://www.chartreuse.fr/

By Don Walsh on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 11:17 am: Edit

PS sorry about the 2AM effect. Of coiurse, my 2AM is 2 PM CST the day before. I'm on the 'good' side of the planet. Still in the proper hemisphere though, not like those antipodean people whose bathwater swirls down thw wrong way...

By Don Walsh on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 11:10 am: Edit

Here come I as a supplicant in search of knowledge and not as omniscient font of all ken.

Absinthe versus Chartreuse

Not necessarily so adversarial. It looks like Absinthe was (maybe) a liqueur made with a subset of the herbs used, for a centory or so earlier, to make Chartreuse, and by much the same method.

I think neither true nor false.

Is Chartreuse older? It seems so.

Is absinthe a subset of Chartresue? Well, that depends. If Chartreuse is really 200 herbs in the recipe then absinthe (and everything else!) can hardly help to be else. The difference is in the herbal ratios, hemce balance.

Chartreuse is quintessentially angelica based. There are anecdotal recipes for absinthe and modern Absinthes that seem to include angelica root, as do many gins. But Chartreuse is more than these, in this direction.

The official Chartreuse recipe is a famous 'secret' like the Coke formula, allegedly unfathomable. The mythos is, only three (or is it five?) people on the planet have the whole recipe.

I don't want to make Chartreuse. I am however interested in its historical resonances with absinthe.

The QUANTITY of A.sbsinthium (wormowood) in the anecdotal recipes for Chartreuse is of the same order of magnitude as in the anecdotal recipes for absinthe. (For the unlettered, an order of magnitude is 10X, or 1/10X.

What is the record of Chartreuse's fate during the franco-suisse all-herbal-liqueur bans?

Does modern Chartreuse Verte contain as ingredient, anything like 10-20 grams/liter wormwood?

That it is 136 proof and herbal and green ought t excite some interest.

How about a half Chartreuse Green, half Herbsaint cocktail?

Way back a quarter century ago someone invented a cocktail called Mister Roberts, it got touted by Johhnt Carson. Half Pernod half Gallianno. I had quite a few of them. Too sweet. But you see where I am heading? (I prefer Strega, neat, in a snifter. With a DeNobili or Toscani Italian cheroot on the side. I save my Cubans for real absinthe.)

Anyone with Chartreuse intel pls post!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation