Chernobyl

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Chernobyl
By Midas on Thursday, October 05, 2000 - 08:05 am: Edit

Beware of russian absinthe that doubles as a night light ; )
-Robert

By Fellraven on Wednesday, October 04, 2000 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Don

Thanks for the clarification.

It was not I who drank this stuff - I was only 10 or 11 in 1970 and have only ever been round/past Toulouse on the motorway!

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, October 04, 2000 - 01:08 pm: Edit

There has been a lot made of this mistranslation on the Net and off. In Poland and elsewhere the nuclear disaster was taken to have apocalyptic (in the St John sense) significance.

However, scholarly websites have pointed out that the Russian/Ukrana word actually means 'black bush' and isn't really Artemisia absinthium at all.

So unless you are really into the biblical connotations of 'wormwood' -- themselves a mistranslation, because the biblical herb was A.judaeca and NOT absinthium -- then this means about squat.

The Russians like the Swedes, love to flavor vodka with peppers and/or herbs.

You probably got some homemade wormwood vodka. Hopefully not full of isotopes from Kiev.

By Fellraven on Wednesday, October 04, 2000 - 10:32 am: Edit

Yes, that was why the name seemed as if it might be significant but coded.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, October 04, 2000 - 10:24 am: Edit

I don't know of it, but "Chernobyl" is either Russian or Ukrainian for "wormwood", which could mean anything.

By Fellraven on Wednesday, October 04, 2000 - 10:21 am: Edit

A friend has reported buying and drinking a spirit called or branded "Chernobyl" which was sold to him as absinthe in a Moroccan bar in Toulouse c1970.

I am assuming that it was some bootleg concoction, perhaps given a name with meaning to those in the know but beyond the ken of les gendarmes.

Does this ring bells with anyone? Comments?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation