Wine thread

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Wine thread
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through October 8, 2000  3   10/08 06:31am

By Petermarc on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 01:02 pm: Edit

cheers---
artemis...good hunting...let me know how it goes...
bob...i'll look for zwack here, it'll be interesting if it is allowed in france...

By Bob_chong on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 11:32 am: Edit

Actually, your talk of Hungarian wines is what led me to find Zwack Unicum for sale (a Hungarian bitter liqueur, possibly full of wormwood). I'll probably wait to buy some until I see it in a bricks-n-mortar store.

BC

By Artemis on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 09:15 am: Edit

Dead, but not forgotten. I'm taking your list with me to the store this afternoon.

By Petermarc on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 02:41 am: Edit

the wine thread is dead...long live the wine thread.....

By Petermarc on Sunday, October 08, 2000 - 12:43 pm: Edit

and i of the great 83 vintage of german wines.
i risk deportation by stating this, but i would rather drink mosel wines than alsace any time.(i find french versions of germanic wines too dry and
austere, the late havest french wines never as
unctuous as the german BAs, TBAs and ice wines.
i do, however, plan a trip to the alsace for
deprogramming and will make adjustments to my
beliefs as soon as they can be proven to be misguided.

By Fellraven on Sunday, October 08, 2000 - 11:48 am: Edit

Petermarc

Arrrgggghh nooooooo ... put German wine in your petrol tank by all means, use it to polish the family silver, clean the windows, oven or whatever turns you on, but never, *never* drink the stuff.

Give me a decent Alsace riesling or gewurtz any time. I still have very happy (distant) memories of the Hugel 83 and 85 we brought back years ago.

By Petermarc on Sunday, October 08, 2000 - 10:19 am: Edit

first of all, try retsina. although i have never
tried it with cajun cooking, i have a feeling it
could be most refreshing (you may start a trend,
or not)it is dry, but the pine flavor is totally
unique, ever eat a pine tree? many parts are
edible...it is normally cheap and easy to find if you have a greek resturant or deli. your love of
spicy foods puts you into white wine country, namely german reisling (buy a kabinett or spatlese
-more sweet/fruity-in the green bottle from the mosel region)a california gewurtztraminer(ga-vertz-tra-meaner) is also a perfect wine with
spicy oriental food. as far as hungary goes, it
makes a sweet white wine called tokay aszu.
the best deals on these are found in hungarian restaurants or delis if you have one. they are
rated in sweetness from 3 to 6 putts.(i'll explain it if you want) order 4 or five putts, if you can get it by the glass( the bottles are always 500ml but still usually a good deal) and
sit back and enjoy...even bad ones can be good.
this is one of the greatest sweet wines in the world and up to about five years ago was dirt
cheap for the quality...it still remains a bargain
compared to other great sweet wines, except in
australia (damn them) where they can produce muscats and late havest sémillons that will curl your sweet tooth for prices the others can't touch. have fun...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation