Perruche

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Perruche
By Imp on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 05:28 pm: Edit

You might want to try Gilway brand Demerara sugar cubes. They are slightly larger than regular cubes, are a nice light brown and disolve nicely.
They are an interesting change from the white tablets.
By the way, has anyone heard if Domino has sorted out their labor problems? The supply here in Houston is exhausted for the Hostess Crystal Tablets.
Maybe the Absinthe Fans could appeal to the stikers, "We need Tablets"....(while showing a picture of a needy absinthe drinker with an empty spoon)...Regards, ....Jay

By Bluedog1 on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 05:05 pm: Edit

I've been using Domino Dots religiously (can't find the Hostess Tabs either), but I've also tried Arabic cubes and the A La Perruche brown. The Arabic cubes are a lot like Domino in color, but much more dense and are shaped like cubes that have been whacked in half, as they have rough edges on one side. They take a frustrating forever to dissolve and I generally end up breaking them to pieces in the bottom of the glass with my spoon. They do not entirely dissolve.

The Perruche brown are really excellent cubes, about half again as large as Domino Dots, but the grain is larger with a good mix of brown shades. The cubes aren't as industrially geometric as Domino, but they do dissolve quicker with cold water due to grain size, but leave a little residue in the bottom of the glass. They have a less sweet, more brown sugary or raw sugary taste, which compliments the sweeter absinthes well.

By Midas on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 06:00 am: Edit

Lately I have been using some Damiana sugar cubes that a friend pointed me in the direction of. They melt well, and add a very slight taste to the drink. Not enough to warrant buying them for taste alone, however.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Ted,

I had a glass of absinthe with Patrick once at Lucullus and we used those Parrot cubes..the brown ones..I took a few home they are great with absinthe..you can order them here if anyone wants any:

http://www.deandeluca.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/store/search_f.d2w/report?psearch=sugar+cubes

looks like they only carry the white now however..

By Artemis on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 05:25 pm: Edit

The sugar I had was the white sugar. The brown sounds nice, but I don't know about putting it into absinthe .... worth a shot, I guess.

By Tabreaux on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 05:06 pm: Edit

BTW, the French sugar we are referring to "a la Perruche" is clearly marked as cane sugar (both white and brown varieties). It is made in "either Swaziland or Congo". It is packaged in France.

By Tabreaux on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 04:55 pm: Edit

In many places, beet sugar is used, I suspect because the plant can probably weather colder climates. Being from a sugar cane producing area, we have both brown and white cane sugar. The only difference being that the white is further refined (which gives it a different flavor).

By Petermarc on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 04:04 pm: Edit

there are two types, brown and white,
made from cane sugar as opposed to beet sugar.
historically speaking, i believe that most
bistros probably used the beet sugar-type tablets...i'm not sure how long it has existed.
sugar historians? as far as enhancing your
experience, if you're dripping from a fountain,
ok, but from carafe to spoon, it's a long
disolve-time...you will have over-watered your
drink by then;-)...it is, however a superior product if you don't mind sugar sitting at the bottom of your glass for a while.(great for tea and coffee, too.)

By Tabreaux on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Despite the fact that this product is bleached, it still carries a certain old-style 'molasses-like' flavor with it, which is atypical of modern products (e.g. Domino). Taste it and see for yourself. Like you pointed out, it does seem a bit difficult to dissolve.

By Artemis on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 12:46 pm: Edit

The sugar, not the infamous DIY reviewer (GOTCHA!).

I tried this stuff over the weekend. It's a French sugar in the form of lumps. They are more accurately called lumps than tablets - they are pleasingly crude in shape and the crystals are huge compared to those in Domino Dots. These sugar lumps may or may not enhance your absinthe experience - I find them slow to dissolve, but once they start to go, they go quickly. They were given to me, but I think I remember seeing them on the web once, from a fancy kitchen/spices store. I don't know what they cost.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation