Absinthe as aphrodisiac?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Absinthe as aphrodisiac?
By Malhomme on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Four years ago my better-half and I courted over glasses of abs and sake; cheap cigars and candles kept us going for 12 hr conversations of the "all-nighter" type. Is it an aphrodesiac? I have fond memories indeed of rooms number 4 and 6 at the Guest House Mazzant!
For all the luck we've had with abs, we've (I've) had better luck with Chartr.
mal

By Midas on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 08:27 am: Edit

My ex and I got together over a glass of absinthe, candle light, and 'Black Tape For A Blue Girl' but as you can see from my use of the term 'ex', it certainly wasn't the start of a long and passionate relationship, just a short, lusty one.
-Robert.

By Jkk on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I would guess that absinthe takes the "sloppy"
out of "drunk", and like all alcohol, lowers the
inhibitions. If that's an aphrodisiac, then it's
an aphrodisiac.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 10:19 am: Edit

Black Rabbit,

If your, "...(disgusting) pernod-with-wormwood-extract first attempt at absinthe..." was as bad as my, "(disgusting) pernod-with-wormwood-extract first attempt at absinthe", and she's still with you then it must be love, (or a very bad taste in booze).

Hobgoblin

By Black_rabbit on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 08:59 am: Edit

Well, I wouldn't call it *fueled* by absinthe...

but my bride-to-be and I began to actually date one Halloween, the very night we tried my (disgusting) pernod-with-wormwood-extract first attempt at absinthe.

Ain't it romantical?

By Perruche_verte on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:00 pm: Edit

What a shame, Eleusis. I myself seem to be getting into that chronologically challenged age where everyone attractive I meet is either attached (to another person or to a career), too young, or too old.

I guess I'll have to wait a few years until I can start catching them on the rebound from their bankers and lawyers. Thanks for the lovely story, Marc, though I can't imagine myself getting anything but a glass thrown at me that way.

Doesn't anyone have a case of successful romance fueled by absinthe? Some of you have been drinking this stuff for years. Surely it's worked once or twice.

By Eleusis on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 08:11 pm: Edit

For your near miss PV, last night I got the total crash and burn. A very nice sister and I spent nearly three hours getting along so well, till age came up and when I told her I was 38, she was twenty-five, she suddenly says "oh, there's some friends of mine I havn't seen in along time and walks off. I watch her go off and out the front door of the bar. Never have I had that happen, ever! What a shock, that blew my cookies.

Eleusis

By Jkk on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 06:38 pm: Edit

When was I overweening? Please read again. I don't think "sounds like" is very aggressive.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:38 pm: Edit

He just said it was a cheap trick, not cause to instigate dating laws... Political correctness sucks, but so does overweening anti-political correctness.

K.

By Jkk on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 10:39 am: Edit

"Using alcohol as a means of seduction is a cheap
trick." Sounds like more political correctness,
Marc. Weren't the 'sixties about lowering
inhibitions, anyway?

By Marc on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 02:59 am: Edit

perruche,

Okay. I agree. Sharing a drink with someone has led to other things. So has sharing a joint, a
walk down the street, an argument and a blunt comeon.

10 years ago a woman was nursing a drink in my bar
(The Rodeo Bar, 27th & 3rd,NYC) and it was closing time. She was strikingly beautiful. Long dirty blonde hair and sea-green eyes. Not the kind of woman you'd expect to see alone in a bar.
As I was locking the doors, she got up to leave.
"Don't leave, come home with me" I said. "Why" she replied. My answer was simple and direct:
"Because I will eat your pussy like it's never been eaten before". Her response was succint:
"Okay".

Jennifer and I have been living together ever since.

Our disinhibitor was not absinthe. In my case, it was Jack Daniel's. In Jennifer's, it was a bad divorce from an investor banker and a desire to take a walk on the wild side. She's been slumming ever since.

By Perruche_verte on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 02:17 am: Edit

Marc, I was kidding. Let's leave my alleged mean-spiritedness in the asbestos room, shall we?
That would, after all, be the appropriate place for it.

To paraphrase Dan Savage, illustrious sex columnist, what we need in this society are lowered inhibitions, and if chemicals help, so be it. I am aware that a rather delicate and precious state of trust is required here. Rest assured I would never "get" anyone drunk (the idea itself is a strange one, as it implies forcing someone into a state they don't choose to be in) in order to get my "pecker" in any condition whatsoever.

Nonetheless, sharing a drink with someone has been known to lead to other things. The drink may have nothing to do with it, in the end, but who's to say?

By Marc on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:51 am: Edit

Your failure at getting laid has made you meanspirited tonight. Your comment in an other thread has made me skeptical about your sincerity.
Using alcohol as a means of sedution is a cheap trick... for frat boys and travelling salesmen. It certainly isn't romantic to get a woman drunk in order to get your pecker wet. Try being yourself, if you have any clue as to who that might be. The best aphrodisiac is good conversation. If you're incapable of that, then
take your friend to a Japanese spa. Shiatsu and
a hot tub might help you score, youngblood.

By Perruche_verte on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:11 am: Edit

A "near miss" earlier tonight (which nonetheless bears promise for the future) inspires me to ask about absinthe's role in romance and seduction.
Anyone got a story to tell? Feel free to change details to protect the guilty, or the experienced, as I'm not sure what the opposite of "innocent" would be in this context.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation