A thank you

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:A thank you
By Don_walsh on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Welcome, Nell. Yes, the UK advertising makes absinthe sound like creme de spanish fly mixed with video head cleaner (amyl nitrite) and garnished with mescaline. However, the reality is both more prosaic and more elegant. Forget the 'effects', it's all the aesthetics. The high alc.degree is meaningless when diluted with 5 parts of water. No one with sense drinks it neat as the herbal flavors can't properly bloom that way. (With some brands that may be just as well.)

The end result is a nice cool long drink, with a lot of history and culture associated, a pleasant buzz with unusual clarity, and maybe some vivid dreaming. At its best, absinthe can be a very complex, subtle liqueur. But you won't get that from the spanish or the czechs.

Welcome once again.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 10:10 am: Edit

You'll find that with a lot of people Sebor Absinthe, (now stocked in Waitrose) gets a slightly rough ride. I personally like it better than most of the Spanish range I recieved from Spirit's Corner, (with the exception of Deva and possibly Mari Mayans). Up until receiving this order a few days ago I had only ever drank Deva and Sebor. So don't miss out on sampling Sebor, however it doesn't louche at all but it does taste good.

By Nell on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 08:02 am: Edit

Hi Midas, and thank you for the welcome.

It's interesting that you should ask that question, because I was wondering exactly the same thing about the other contributors to this forum. I must search out that thread you mention.

Absinthe has had quite a revival in the UK recently, inspired by various articles in laddish magazines like Bizarre. I was intrigued but put off by the very 'macho' marketing. (With apologies to you gentlemen of the board if this statement seems anti-male. It's not intended as such.) There was heavy emphasis on the high alcohol content, the suggestion that it had mind-altering properties and its supposed aphrodisiac qualities. I found the whole 'gets you drunk, gets you high, gets you laid' angle a bit much.

Still, I do like to experience new things and when the opportunity presented itself to buy a bottle at my local supermarket I did a little more research. What I found was that absinthe possesses a fascinating history and has a very sensual (and dare I say feminine?) appeal. And anything which arouses the passionate debate I've seen on this board must be worth trying at least once!

What am I looking forward to most? The louche, believe it or not. That moment of change from the green to the white. I enjoy reading the descriptions of peridot, emerald and opaline. Jewellery in a bottle!

I see that other people have contributed their personal accounts to the board, and I'll be pleased to share my first experience when it happens. (7-10 days, if the email I received today from Spirits Corner holds true!)

By Midas on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 05:48 am: Edit

Hi Nell, and welcome.
This topic was discussed on a thread of its own not too long ago, but I was interested in hearing how you became interested in absinthe in the first place.
I think you'll find that absinthe is like tattooing. People generally don't stop at one.

By Nell on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 02:28 am: Edit

Absinthedrinker: As with any journey it's nice to have a little guidance along the way. Thanks to you for your welcome.

Bob: A good tip! I'll remember that for next time.

m'Lordhobgoblin: Only 6 bottles and not 12? Then I'll just shorten my Christmas List. So far, I've been impressed with the response from Spirits Corner and, provided all goes well, will use them again. It's nice to meet a Deva enthusiast.

Anatomist1: I'd have loved to have modelled for Klimt! I have a passion for his paintings at the moment. Hmmm...is Projects Manager so at odds with the image? I always think Klimt's women have an inner strength which is apparent even when they are captured at their tenderest moments.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Hey Nell,

I'm pleased to meet the model for that Klimt painting. I always wondered who you were. However, knowing that you're a 'project manager' drains the piece of some of its romance....

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:29 am: Edit

Nell Sorry,

I meant 6 bottles, I may be a tight bas...d but I'm not that tight. Anyway I think I totaly balls up the post as the price actually comes to about 11 per bottle except for Segarra which I think is about 16.

Anyway e-mail them and ask for yourself.

Although on what I've tasted so far Deva is the best in my books.

Thanks Bob

By Bob_chong on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 10:55 am: Edit

You're suggesting that she order 12 bottles just to save an extra pound per bottle? You really are a cheap bastard. ;-) j/k

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 10:28 am: Edit

Apologies, I got the gender wrong and called you Neil in the last post. You must excuse me as my life has recently been put in turmoil.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 10:26 am: Edit

Order a dozen and it works out about 14 a bottle, not bad. E-mail them and they'll increase you're order, you could get the full range of absinthes they stock (Deva, Lasalla, Serpis, Montana, Segarra, Mari Mayas).

By Bob_chong on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 09:44 am: Edit

For future reference, you may want to order two bottles instead of just one. The price for one to the UK (via ground) is 22.85 pounds, but two bottles would be only 30.04 pounds (!).

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 04:56 am: Edit

Welcome to the board Nell, your journey has just begun

By Nell on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 03:53 am: Edit

I'm a new member of The Absinthe Forum and I'd like to extend my thanks to all of the contributers to this fascinating board.

I have often been tempted to try absinthe and recently spotted a bottle on the shelves of my local Tesco.

Before taking the plunge I decided to look on the 'net for further information about the brand and my search led me here.

Drawing on your combined experience, I decided not to buy the bottle of Sebor which had first attracted my attention but, instead, to order a bottle of Deva Absenta from Spirits Corner.

I am now awaiting delivery with pleasant anticipation.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation