Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Praha
By Tabreaux on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 07:46 am: Edit

Here in New Orleans, we have a few nice restaurants/cafes which allow you to bring your own wine. Occasionally, I'll bring a box containing an antique absinthe service, which always causes a stir in the place. Amidst the usual background chatter, you hear the word "absinthe" frequently popping through. The problem is that you can't do this without bringing enough for an impromptu tasting for the ENTIRE restaurant.

By Marc on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 11:45 pm: Edit

I know of a few restaurants in NYC that serve real absinthe to their "special" customers. They don't sell it. It's given as a gift.

I have conducted absinthe tastings in NYC. I am planning another one for after the new year.
Again, nothing is sold. But, there is an admittance fee charged by the owners of the location where the tasting occurs. The fee covers expenses such as servers, rent and deejay.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Relrella -

I live in San Francisco. The restaurant Absinthe is a wonderful belle epoch french / california-ized restaurant, but they don't serve real absinthe...they're serving the dreaded Absenta (thankfully, they are honest and don't try to pass it off as absinthe). They do have a nice selection of pastis (including Herbsaint), as well as a vintage bottle of E. Pernod behind the bar under lock & key.

I've considered "BYOA" when I eat there, but don't think that would fly...)

- Morrigan

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 10:59 am: Edit

Serpis is well worth a try, although be prepared for a shock when you see the colour. It's bright red.

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 06:06 am: Edit

Relrella, if you find the spanish brands too heavy on the anise, try Sebor (you can find it in the buyers guide on this site.) It is Czech, but unlike every other Czech brand known it is good stuff, and markedly different than the spanish. It won't louche (change color with water) but it is a very pleasant drink and does the trick :-)

Also, give the spanish another try if you don't like it at first- it grows on people (everyone I've given it to, at any rate.)

By Perruche_verte on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Deva should give you at least as much of a wonderful feeling, if not more so, and it tastes very good -- very strong anise flavor with hints of other things (exactly what those "other things" are is the subject of some debate here). Many people seem to like it unsweetened. I like it with a sugar cube and about the same amount of water Marc suggests.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Isn't San Fran a city?

By Marc on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:16 pm: Edit

This is an absinthe forum so one would expect that people who spend time here are passionate about absinthe.

I like 4 parts water to 1 part Deva.

By Relrella on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 07:25 pm: Edit

My, my, we are passionate about absinthe eh?
I only asked about Shulz because that is the only type I tried. I only heard stories about absinthe before, and thought it was impossible to get until Praha. When I tried the Czech absinthe, I wanted it for the effect, the taste was awful I admit, I shivered every time I drank it down with sugar. But to walk in the streets of Praha, with absinthe in you, its a wonderful feeling, like being in your own bubble, among the medieval churches, and friendly Czechs. I think that if one is in a wonderful place like Praha or Paris, the quality is unimportant, the atmosphere is everything. Ok, so I ordered the Deva online, does this stuff actually taste good? I did not know that one should dilute it, with how much water? I plan to walk the streets of downtown Vancouver when I try it again, for being in a city area is the best I think...
Did you know that in San Francisco (my hometown) there is a bar called absinthe, which sells a green drink, not absinthe, its absurd, it seems to be a trend there, but they can't even drink the real thing! Cheerio

By Marc on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 02:32 pm: Edit

In relrella's post I enjoyed the phrases "wonders of absinthe", "great stuff" and "people walk down the streets holding it". His/her enthusiasm is refreshing.

I thought Ted could have let relrella down
a little easier. But, as we all know, Ted is a brutal master and snaps his whip without remorse.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 12:11 pm: Edit

BTW, as far as Schulz and Hill's, if you ever try them, you'll almost certainly agree that they are some of the most unexciting 'absinths' you could imagine. They are neither good, nor bad. They not-much-at-all to nothing where flavor and content are concerned. The 200 year-old 'recipe' which Schulz is made from (yeah, sure) must have faded to a blank piece of paper by the time they got it. When Absintheur decribed Hill's as "Windex" (a popular U.S. glass cleaning product), he hit the nail on the head. It just has the flavor of a household cleaning product. I really couldn't add anything to that.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Thank you and Amen. I had faith someone would interpret my post correctly (as I wipe the sulfuric acid dripping from my mouth).

By Perruche_verte on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 12:00 pm: Edit

But he was only harsh on Absinth Schulz, not on Relrella herself. If she follows Ted's advice she'll have a very pleasant drink and pay less than Schulz would cost shipped to British Columbia.

I've never tried Schulz either, nor Hills, so I suppose I can't comment on them. However, no one on the forum who has tried them and then gone on to Deva et al. seems to have remained a devotee. That tells me enough. Why not learn from others' experience? Sometimes it gets you to the better stuff faster.

Maybe Relrella has a sentimental attachment to Schulz because of Praha and her experience there. If so, no harm in ordering some. But it's like hearing someone talk about the great Chinese food they had at LeeAnn Chin's (= tasteless U.S. franchise chain). If you care about that person, you want to lead them by the arm to a nice quiet place smelling of sesame oil and joss sticks and get them the best plate of Szechuan-Hunan-whatever they ever had.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 11:42 am: Edit

Well, please understand that when I am writing all of this, I am doing it with a smile on my face and I usually try to end with a laugh.

Believe me, I've drunk more 'bad' absinthe than anyone on this board, which is a large part of the reason why I lend no mercy toward to the money-hungry liars who make the crappy brands. Shitty absinthe makes you angry.

By Marc on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 11:33 am: Edit

One glass of Sebor and two of La Bleue is not an allnight binge. At least not for me. But you're right, I was insulting. My apologies. On the other hand, your blunt response to relrella was a little harsh. Honest but harsh.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 10:30 am: Edit

If you like Segarra then drink it and enjoy it. I find it far too bitter, (more of a Deva with plenty of sugar man myself). But who am I to say it's a bad quality product, just not my cup of tea.

As with anything, taste, (and quality) is a subjective thing.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 10:25 am: Edit

Ted & Justin,

All I meant is that the idea of quality is a subjective thing. What tastes good to one person may not taste good to another. Our likes and dislikes, and the make-up of our taste buds are very different. If I taste something and I like it then that's a good enough seal of quality for me, I don't think I need to check whether it is acceptable or not for me to like it.

Of course we are all, (including yourselves) entitled to express our opinions on what we regard as a quality product.

By Midas on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 10:06 am: Edit

I love the tale of Rimbaud cultivating his own head lice, just so that he could cast them upon passing priests. Une Saison En Enfer is brilliant, but he was the textbook brat regardless. I doubt there's any debate about that (or am I about to be surprised?)

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 09:58 am: Edit

There is no definitive thing as good and bad quality absinthe? Are you kidding? Is there no definitive thing as good and bad quality wine, whiskey, brandy, tequila, etc., etc.? If all one has had is junk, then I guess this statement is true.

Since the overwhelming consensus of persons (in my experiences) who've tried the 'better' brands after having the Czech swill is one of pleasant astonishment, I can feel quite confident in suggesting the same as I would be in suggesting Moet to an Andre drinker. If you've read any book or reference, new or old, on this subject, even an idiot can come to the conclusion that the products in question neither look, behave, contain, nor taste anything like the liqueur described in said literature. Even a fool can come to this obvious conclusion. Should I 'finesse' the product description, or be 'politically correct' in my assessment of said products? Absolutely not, so why hide the truth?

My post wasn't an attack on the originator original post. On the contrary, it was a critique of a ridiculous product. On the other hand, if I duplicated this product, made the same claims about 200-year old Swiss recipes and similar bullshit, and sold it at half-price, you'd be the first ones to say that it was poop. Go figure!

Wake up.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 09:12 am: Edit

"There is no definitive thing as good or bad quality absinthe"

I can't agree with this. When absinthe was first distilled and bottled under that name in 1802 Absinthe got a standard, and that was from the Maison Pernod. And for me that standard has never perished. All absinthe in modern times is a faint reminder of Pernod Fils the anise of Deva, the bitterness of Segerra, the round-in-the-mouth nature of la fee and Sebors, the anti-ceptic quality of some la bleues...they are all the dim-reminders of what absinthe should be but only from the perspective of what absinthe was...
Czech anti-freezeinthe on the other hand is an abomination, it shares nothing (not even the name spelling) with absinthe, there is no correlation between what Radomil Hill makes and what is really absinthe...if I named my dog Rimbaud, he would not become the author of Une Saison and the coffee trader in Harar. Same case with 99% of Czech "absinth".

I am inhaling the gentle aroma of Pernod Fils now and it alone is intoxicating.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:47 am: Edit

I can't remember why you hate Segarra so much. Why is that, again? I find it a bit more complex than many of the other Spanish brands. Pleasant stuff, IMO. And I like the small-distillery feel it has. Julian Segarra seems like such a bon vivant from his email and website. It's a good marketing tactic, because it induces me to drink more of his product.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:36 am: Edit

You say "Obviously i dont drink oxo for breakfast lol"

What's wrong with people who drink oxo for breakfast. Have you got a problem with that?

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:33 am: Edit

There is no definitive thing as good or bad quality absinthe, it's all a matter of personal preferences. Lots of people slag off Sebor, I like it and it's a damn site better than Segarra, (dreadful stuff). Then again we're all entitled to our opinions as to what is good and bad quality. If Relrella likes this Schulz absinthe then fine, drink away and enjoy it. I can't comment as I've never tasted it.

By Timk on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:29 am: Edit

Obviously i dont drink oxo for breakfast lol

By Timk on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:28 am: Edit

Ted, I think the point he was trying to make was that if the guy likes schulz then let him drink it, just because it doesnt taste like pernod fils or deva doesnt mean it doesnt taste nice. I dont believe the original question was where can i get absinthe that you think tastes good, he just asked where to get 1 brand that he tried and LIKED - thats all that matters, he LIKED it. This concept seems to be overlooked - if i like to drink oxo for breakfast and ask where to buy it i dont need people popping off and telling me i drink shit.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:21 am: Edit

that may be true...they do somewhat look alike...but I think the most modern "Rimbaud" was Jim Morrison. But of course this is the Rimbaud of 16-20 or so, and Rimbaud was infinitly more impressive than Morrison in the end...but that is an opinion..I am not fond of Jim at all...

- J

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 07:59 am: Edit

"Elitist Horseshit"? "Absinthe Brain Police"? C'mon Marc, you need to be a little less insulting when you post at 6:00am after an all-night binge. As far as 'absolute reality', I've had 'Absinth' Schulz, yet my records tell me that you haven't (by your own admission)? Nevertheless, I can say with all first-hand sincerity that this product is as close to absinthe as is urine in a bottle (with some blue dye thrown into it). Maybe I could bottle that and sell it for $50US a pop so you could romanticize about that as well? Sheesh! The fact here is that this product is so lame that not even you would buy it (and you obviously haven't and don't). Why is this? Because not even you are fooled by Hill's, Schulz, Starop.., King, and the other Czech wastewater that pollutes the market, cleverly disguised in bottles marked 'Absinth'. Heck, they can't even spell.

Forgive me, I forgot to mention in the fine print that yes, Sebor is a solid step up from the usual Czech fare such as 'Absinth Schulz'. As for me, last time I 'czeched', I still have a right to publicly comment on bogus products, as I am and always will be a discriminating consumer. Just because I invite someone to experience something of far better quality and value as opposed to 'bottled ripoff' shouldn't make me a target for 'trailer park' thinking.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 06:54 am: Edit

I've heard the same was true of Sid Vicious ;-)

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 05:19 am: Edit

People really do have romantic conceptions of Rimbaud...It should be kept in mind for his first 13 years and the last 15-20 years of his life he was more or less a regular guy. That wierd period with Izambard and Verlaine was only like a 3 year period (which he himself would eventually call "brazen puerile garbage based on the the juevnille want to shock") reality Rimbuad ended up being a lonely, constantly ripped off man that just wanted to give up, return to Charleville and get a wife...

Rimbaud was impressive in Une Saison, and the Illuminations, but much of the rest was just as he said....

Just opinions,

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 04:46 am: Edit

I wondered where Arthur got too. I always thought that in another life he would have been responsible for the Punk movement.

By Marc on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 03:07 am: Edit

disregard the elitist horseshit that pervades this forum. Your "wonders of absinthe" are wonderful irregardless of what the absinthe
"brain police" say. Right now, I'm drinking Sebor
and loving it. My name is Marc and I reside in
the trailer park of absolute reality. My newspaper boys name is Arthur and on his days off his sails a drunken boat.

By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Speaking of which, Ted, when do we get to read your comments on Deva Absenta? I for one am interested in what you're able to detect.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 05:19 pm: Edit

The brand you had was "Absinth Schulz", which as far as absinthe goes, is almost as good as some brands of mouthwash. Regardless, if you really want this sorry blue stuff which someone decided to call 'absinth' (for marketing purposes), you can get it and the other Czech atrocities from somewhere like Unfortunately, you'll be paying a lot more than $9 per bottle. As far as legal issues, no one in Canadian customs will likely even know what it is (or rather what it is suposed to be), nor care. Pardon my candor, but the Czechs have done everything possible to litter the market with junk.

May I suggest trying something different? Try going to Click on the British flag icon, and go to "aperitifs". Order a bottle of Segarra Absenta, Deva Absenta, or both. You'll pay less and you'll get about two steps up in quality.

By Relrella on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 04:29 pm: Edit

When I was in Prague this summer, I unexpectedly discovered the wonders of absinthe in all legality. I tried the brand( forget the name) with a picture of a woman in old fashioned clothes on the cover. It was great stuff, and cost only $9 in your average Czech corner store. People walk down the streets holding it. Does anyone know of a place online where it is reasonable? Also, I live in Canada, so if I had some shipped to me, would it be legal, or would there be customs problems?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation