"A funny side note is that Pernod was listed on the wine registry of the titanic, and also around 50 sealed bottles were found in a shipwreck off the coast of france recently... "

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:"A funny side note is that Pernod was listed on the wine registry of the titanic, and also around 50 sealed bottles were found in a shipwreck off the coast of france recently... "
By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Very good to see you again domingo!

Aside from bottles anyone ever found any glasses and such?

By Domingo on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I bought an empty, no label bottle of Pernod Fils from a bottle collector/digger in New Hampshire and bought another one at a bottle collectors expo that was dug in Massachusetts. Both about a hundred years old.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 03:28 pm: Edit

don't forget about the pernod fils bottle
found by the diver off the florida keys that
was on e-bay a while ago...it went down (presumably by itself)before the ban, no doubt

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 09:57 am: Edit

An interesting side not..I recently bought a vintage empty Pernod Edouard bottle that was found in a trash escavation in New Orleans,of course it has no labels but i got it for next to nothing...that is the first and only sign I have seen of absinthe in the Americas from the pre-ban era...

By Midas on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 09:52 am: Edit

God, a find like that is enough to make me take up scuba diving...
-Robert.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 09:05 am: Edit

"Longest Title Award" goes to TimK. It was longer than the post itself.

BC

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:58 am: Edit

A vintage bottle of Pernod with full labeling lead seal and a nice glob, depending on period can sell for around 3500 USD, and at this rate it is a good deal...

BTW there is a pic from the shipwreck, they found everthing in 92 I think...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:56 am: Edit

Pernod bottle

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:49 am: Edit

They were sealed bottles in perfect condition, apparently a priate vessell attacked and sank a merchant vessel named the Marie-Thérèse which ported from Bordeaux around 1872. This ship, now that I am rereading the article, was heading or at Jakarta in the south pacific. I am not sure if the bottles made it back to france, if they did and the French gov't finds out they may attempt to destory them as that is the usual custom for discovered caches of absinthe. I doubt that anyone will get a hand on them as a find like that is going to be scooped up by collectors in an instant. Hope this helps to explain it...as for the titanic thing I guy from the old forum made reference to it and I verified it recently...it was around 30 liters of Pernod Fils and also of A Junod.

By Treeman5 on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:38 am: Edit

How much do you think a bottle of that Pernod from that ill-fated voyage would go for today, I would think it would be quite a thrill to sample some of that stock.....

By Timk on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:22 am: Edit

Does anyone know any more about this quote from Justin, ie. what the condition was like - where they went, who found them etc. sounds interesting : - )

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation