Has anybody had a problem with spirits corner lately?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Has anybody had a problem with spirits corner lately?
By Petermarc on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 05:28 am: Edit

i had lasala in the "old town" at a bar that i
can't name because i don't remember...i walked through the narrow streets looking in bar windows until i saw a bottle...not easy...the barman
was about to pour a long drink with ice until
i brought out a spoon i had bought that day at
a flea-market in the perigord (then a quick 4-hour drive to barcelona, god i love europe)and
he then gave me a short old-fashion glass, sugar
and a carafe with ice water (but i had to ask)
i got a very generous pour, and friendly conversation in english and french...it was the only bar i saw it in, but i saw deva for sale at
about $15 bottle at a wine shop/deli and bought lasala the next day(couldn't find the store with deva)before i left at $8 bottle. lasala seemed to be the most common available. also saw something made by mari mayas (i think) which was
infused with lemon and called "suise" absinthe.
no, it does not seem to be popular in barcelona at
all, but with all the orders to spirits corner, i
imagine this will change...

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 04:53 am: Edit

It's a bar drink, people don't drink it at home. Try the bars in Barcelona's red light district. And don't ask for Sebor's or Hill's. I admit, my knowledge of Barcelona bar fauna and flora is second hand at best. But I don't think that absenta is unknown there.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Even Frederico couldn't name any bars that sold it. After a few glasses of Segarra in my hotel room I began to think we are the only people that drink it, then in a moment of solipsism I though how do I know anyone else on the group even exists? Then I put the bottle away and got some fresh air.

By Jkk on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 11:08 pm: Edit

I was in Spain in the 1980s and couldn't find any
absinthe except Montana, and I didn't see much of
that. Also nobody seemed to know anything about
it, and it was kind of a pain to ask--and be
asked--the same questions over and over again.
With the internet orders, it's probably more
popular than it's ever been, but it's still
uncommon, I'd bet.

By Tabreaux on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 09:27 am: Edit

Absinthe was never very popular in Spain. It was viewed as a French 'problem'.

By Joshua on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 09:15 am: Edit

no bars with absinthe? i guess it must not be all that popular there,i would love to know why. great prices with no shipping cost,i would think the stuff would be flowing through the streets.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 08:05 am: Edit

I just got back from Barcelona where I visited Spirit's Corner. It isn't actually called that in Spain, it has a very long local name, but it is on a corner and it does sell spirits...

The shop is amazing, I was expecting some high tech emporium in line with the web site but nothing could be further from reality, it is a very typical and old fashioned liquor store. I met Frederico who is a very nice man - I wish that my Spanish/Catalan was better so that we could have had more of a conversation.

Incidentally, I didn't find a single bar in the city that sold absinthe. Most barmen looked at me as if I were poco loco when I asked.

By Joshua on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 04:34 am: Edit

well it finally got here on friday.but oh from the first sip of deva,it was defintly worth the wait.but wow they really dont want anyone to get into the box,it took like 5 minutes just to open the thing,i had no scissors.

By Bob_chong on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 05:26 am: Edit

Yeah--someone from the UK posted a few weeks back that SC told her that there had been a transport strike (or some similar problem) and they couldn't get the postal folks to pick up their packages as often as usual. Or something like that.

By Joshua on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 04:36 am: Edit

6 dollars a gallon? thats insane,i thought the 1.59 here in fl was high.no wonder there is blockades and the like,i would like it if they told you these things instead of the usual 7-10 days, till it gets here i shall be paitiantly waiting.thanks for your input

By Midas on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 11:17 pm: Edit

My last order took about three weeks to arrive, much longer than usual, and I was getting a little nervous, but it did arrive. SC are usually very reliable, and I wouldn't worry too much. As you can see, alot of people have had delays in shipment of their recent orders, but trust me, you'll be devafied shortly.
-Robert.

By Bob_chong on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Plus, recent gasoline-tax revolts and protests have caused things to slow down a bit from time to time. Remember, Europe taxes oil to death. After paying $6/gallon, people tend to get pissed off and blockade ports and things.

BC

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 10:24 am: Edit

Joshua

I had an order delivered recently which was missing 1 bottle of Lasalla. I e-mailed Cristina and she apologised and assured me another bottle would be sent to me, I expect it to arrive very soon. I get the impression that you Spirit's Corner are a trustworthy bunch and I'd be very surprised if my missing bottle doesn't arrive as planned.

Hobgoblin

By Tabreaux on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 07:50 am: Edit

No, it most likely has nothing to do with any of that. Spirits Corner is probably either understaffed, understocked, or both.

By Joshua on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 04:58 am: Edit

i ordered over a month ago,it took almost 3 weeks for them to send the letter saying that my order has been sent,and i waited and waited,not wanting to be a bother,so i finally emailed cristina,and she said that there has been lots of delays recently and wasnt sure if it was the spainish or american post offices fault,could perhaps those evil customs agents intercepted my order and are now pouring themselves a fine glass of deva at my expense?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation