Absinthe clubs

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Absinthe clubs
By Treeman5 on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 12:03 am: Edit

Thanks for the referral Bob, I plan on doing something soon thru them...How is the Le Bleue? I was gonna try that..Kinda pricey but hey why not right? Ummm from what I gather you all are on the west coast?? All the postings are 3 hrs behind me, as I am in Ct(EST)...Well thanx again, talk to you all again soon.

By Bob_chong on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Treeman:

Be sure to try Spiritscorner if you haven't already. Bottles of Deva will run about $23 or $24 apiece (5 bottles would run about $119 total to your door).

BC

By Treeman5 on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 07:56 pm: Edit

does anyone hate computers as much as ME????

By Treeman5 on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 07:55 pm: Edit

I introduced some friends to the Green Fairie last nite at a Halloween party..It went very well, with only one person who didn't like it..She had no taste at all lol....Anyway I was wondering if there might be any such clubs around Connecticut..Hey Chryssipvs it wasn't to bad for my first attempt, but I am looking forward to your care package!! Hope I run into you again online... Matt

By Treeman5 on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I introduced some friends to the Green Fairie last nite at a Halloween party..It went very well, with only one person who didn't like it..She had no taste at all lol....Anyway I was wondering if there might be any such clubs around Connecticut..Hey Chrissipvs it wasn't to bad for my first attempt, but I am looking forward to your care package!! Hope I run into you again online... Matt

By Bluedog1 on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 01:59 pm: Edit

A couple nights ago, E! Entertainment TV had a special on on the LA Club Coven 13 and the Goth scene there. Interestingly, one of the most prominent members being interviewed mentioned "drinking absinthe" as one of the favorite pastimes of this Goth crowd.

By Admin on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 01:50 pm: Edit

The Metro & the Guardian have both done stories ...

I don't believe there are ongoing absinthe gatherings, in this area at least. But there is definately a small resurgence in the past 5 years of people getting together and sharing absinthe on a small, non-public scale. Sharing is caring, right? And part of the fun of absinthe is watching people's eyes light up when you whip out the bottle. Which is what the press (at least locally) has picked up on: that we like to share, that we like to make small gorgeous events out of it all, and that we like to talk about it alot.

Ok, I'm fessing up here ... myself & the other Sepulchritude editors whored ourselves for publicity earlier this year (or rather, we invited a journalist to an informal gathering) for the SF Weekly:

http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2000-05-24/nightcrawler.html

There are few misquotes. And she misremembered the Serpis color for la Bleue (which wasn't supposed to be mentioned). But the woman who wrote the article was gracious and lovely and actually *listened* to what we had to say ...

By Relrella on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Actually the article was in the SF Bay Guardian, its at the website http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/33/29/absinthe.html,

By Rockstroh on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 11:11 am: Edit

That story was in the Metro. I read it recently in the archives (had it with a publish date of 1997) but I'm not sure about the link. Go to www.metroactive.com and run a search on "absinthe" and that should pull it up.

BR

By Timk on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 11:03 am: Edit

hehe

By Chrysippvs on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 08:10 am: Edit

Of all the terrible things you could have said...

By Marc on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 02:36 am: Edit

tim,

get used to it, chrysippvs is the George W. Bush
of the absinthe forum. He mangles the language.

By Timk on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 02:09 am: Edit

"With Come Girl" - lol bad bad spelling error lol

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I have spoken with some of these people....most of them heat steeps in a hot water bath and call it absinthe. I had a two hour arguement with come girl that called her self "Absinthia" about how Pernod has nothing to do with vintage absinthe, and how far removed what she was "brewing" from absinthe proper...and this chick has an absinthe spoon tatooed on her chest. The majority of them seem to be quacks, although I am sure there are some good ones out there.

By Bob_chong on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 07:30 pm: Edit

It's safer to buy absinthe than attempt to make it. Distillation is dangerous and illegal, and macerated "absinthe" is dreck.

With the dollar being so strong vs. the euro right now, a bottle of Deva is about $23. Not too bad. (Hopefully, you've already figured out that it's much cheaper per bottle if you buy not one but two, four, five, seven, or ten bottles at a time.)

BC

By Relrella on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Hello,
I remember reading an article on absinthe and the underground movement about a year ago in one of those free weekly magazines from San Francisco. In it they talked about clubs or organizations of absinthe drinkers who made it and drank it together, almost like modern day speak-easies. I was wondering if this exists, and there are clubcs throughout north america, perhaps there is one is Vancouver? If anyone I would greatly appreciate the information. I would be interested in making absinthe myself but it seems difficult, and that one needs many tools and equipment, which I don't have and probably can't afford on my student budget. anyone know anything about this?
-Rose

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation