Happy Halloween

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Oct 2000:Happy Halloween
By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:04 pm: Edit

I second the thoughts of Artemis. Season's greetings to you all.

I'm turning in soon as unfortunately it's not a weekend and I start work early.

In the spirit of the season, I remember Vincent Van Gogh, who expressed his disgust with this harsh world in "The Potato Eaters" before finding new worlds in the colors of stars and flowers. What better way to toast his memory than with a glass of the spirit (or at least a memory thereof) falsely blamed for killing him.

The Green Fairy is far gentler than many parts of the Industrial Revolution were; bad absinthe may have been part of the means, but it was the world he lived in that killed Vincent. He was a canary in a coal mine.

The many men, so beautiful
And they all dead did lie
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on, and so did I.

-- Coleridge, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

I drink to Van Gogh, Gauguin, Toulouse-Lautrec and that whole ragged bunch of Frenchmen, struggling to create amidst the trials of their era. Here's to them and everyone else who struggles against those tiny men (and women) who ban, restrict, repress, contain, discipline and punish "for our own good."

By Marc on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Artemis,

Thankyou. I send good vibrations in your direction...which is all directions at once
radiating outward/inward to infinity.

Love to all.

The new U2 album is lovely. As is the new p.j. harvey. I haven't heard music this heartfelt in a long time. Good for the soul.

By Midas on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:21 am: Edit

Yep, happy Halloween everyone, well, everyone in the northern hemisphere anyway.
-Robert.

By Artemis on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:44 am: Edit

May the Horned God smile furrily upon a Green Samhain and Happy Halloween for everyone here, with special thanks to the absinthe Illuminati who make this forum what it is - Ted, the master; Don, the entrepeneur; Absintheur, the keeper of absinthe truth; Marc, for keeping it real (and special thanks for making my Halloween blue, old friend) and the underground stream - Luger and The Nephilim in particular, tireless alchemists doing God's work. Last but not least, the brazen Kallisti, notre dame of green fire, for weaving from random electrons the parlor wherein we gather.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation