Absinthe Antiques for the UK

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Absinthe Antiques for the UK
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through November 1, 2000  7   11/07 11:36am

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 01:48 am: Edit

I'm blushing over my cornflakes...

By Malhomme on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I just received my order from Ian at AbsintheOriginals.com and would like to say that he and his wares are first-rate!!! He was very helpful and pleasant to deal with. The spoon that he sent was beautiful and in near mint condition (compared to other spoons I've purchased from a dealer in the states, where the spoon was more brass than nickle, despite the associated picture; the glasses not etched, despite statements that they were!!!). Everything was exactly as he said it was. I will not hesitate to purchase from him again in the future.

A very pleased,

By Artemis on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 01:19 am: Edit

I would qualify this by saying the new *commercial* absinthes. What I'm drinking right now is everything the Frenchman described (perfumes the room, etc.) and then some. It was made in September, I believe. An excellent year.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 01:35 pm: Edit

I am a purist as well, and I have tasted the old absinthes. I also agree that in comparison to the old absinthes, the new absinthes are one-sided in flavor and dissimilar in content.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:18 pm: Edit

"May be I am a little too much purist :)"

I think you are right on..absinthe should be as it was and nothing less...

By Frenchman on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I am not an expert in new absinthe drinks.
I met this absinthe made in Brazil very recently in a alimentary show in Paris called the "SIAL".
It seems to me that the name was simply "ABSINTHE". Someone said me that the maker reserved all brands (in Brazil) like "ABSINTHE", "ABSENTE", "FEE VERTE".... so it will be easy for you to find this absinthe !!
Positive points are the color "death leaf", the taste, the smell and the high thujone ratio.
Negative point is that this absinthe has been made to be drunk without water (like portuguese absinthe). I tasted it with some big ice cubes.
I think that this maker could made a good absinthe in the future.
--> but it is only my personnal opinion :)
To be honest, i never, never, met a recent absinthe as good as an old absinthe.
If you are lucky enough to smell an old absinthe one day, you will understand what i mean...
Old absinthe has a real bouquet (like a fine old wine) and only one glass of this absinthe will perfume all the room.
Recent absinthes have a flavourless smell and artificial color.
May be i would be buyer of recent absinthe when a distiller would be able to make this drink really with the plant, and that the plant gives genuine and natural color and taste and smell to the drink.
May be I am a little too much purist :)

By Tabreaux on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 07:50 am: Edit

I will have a bottle of Neto Costa in a few days, so I'll post my comments.

By Bob_chong on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 07:12 am: Edit

Unless there's an off chance that Neto has started making a better product, you're right.

BUT they did have to "reformulate" to meet the alcohol limit, and they did sell 15000 bottles in one day in Brazil...so maybe the new stuff is a wee bit better.

But neither or these things suggest that it is not watered down Neto regular. Call it Neto Lite.

I wonder what Phil was talking about. Maybe there is some small, underground distillery there...

By Don_walsh on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 01:25 am: Edit

Dear Bob

I think you are dead on, what Phil is talking about 'can't' be Neto. No one could be perverse enough to love old absinthes and like Neto at the same time. (Well, artists maybe. By definition artists can hold two simultaneous contradictory beliefs, right?)

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 10:10 am: Edit

More (translated this time):

Lalo Zanini, owner of the Jotaká bars, Limone and of would pizzaria Sprazzo, proved the drink in the house of friends and was Portugal to negotiate its importation.

To take care of to the Brazilian laws, that proíbem the drink commercialization with alcoholic text above of 54º, the biggest Portuguese manufacturer, Neto&Costa, produced a special batch of wormwood destined to Brazil.

The drink that will be degustada here has 53,5º of alcoholic text. In Portugal, it it is drunk with 57º. The 15.6 a thousand 750 bottles of ml brought by Zanini had been vendidas in only one day. Others 45 a thousand must arrive until the end of the month. The entrepreneur commemorates: " It goes to become coqueluche of the Brazilian bars ". The dose of the Green Fairy goes to cost R$ 7.50 in average. The wormwood has adocidado flavor and similar aroma to the one of anise.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 10:06 am: Edit

RE: Brazilian Absinthe

After combing the web and trying to translate via babelfish (down now, so I've been using the GO translator), it seems that a company has been importing Neto Costa into Brazil and it has been selling like hotcakes. I know this probably isn't what Phil was talking about, but it might be helpful.

Here's the article in Portugese (maybe someone can translate it better than the GO thing, which is laughable):

Mística do Absinto volta à moda e bebida já é comercializada no país
17/10/2000 - CÉLIA CHAIM, da Folha de S.Paulo

Proibida no Brasil desde 1935, a mais forte bebida do planeta está de volta.

O amargo absinto, preparado com as folhas de uma pequena erva aromática européia, que começou a ser distribuído em São Paulo há menos de um mês pela Companhia Gastronômica, já está em 40 bares e restaurantes da cidade. Esgotou o primeiro lote de importação e avança rapidamente rumo a outras capitais do país.

O Brasil é o terceiro país do mundo a permitir sua venda, ao lado de Portugal e a República Tcheca.

O embargo se deve ao espantoso teor alcoólico de 68º -o teor do vinho, por exemplo, é de 17,5º.

O primeiro lote de 15,6 mil garrafas evaporou. O segundo está chegando, com 62,4 mil garrafas. O diretor de marketing da Companhia Gastronômica, dona de quatro restaurantes em São Paulo, Lizandro Lauretti, nem precisou da bebida que surgiu na Suíça em 1792 para ficar eufórico.
"O absinto está virando moda", disse ele.

Puro, embriaga com a rapidez de transmissão de uma mensagem pela Internet. Mas também pode ser base de drinques, especialidade do barman português Pedro Cardoso, do bar JK, em São Paulo, que sugere o Monet: absinto, soda, limão e hortelã.

Poção mágica

O apelo mercadológico é forte. Enaltecido nos poemas de Oscar Wilde, o absinto inspirou o escritor Ernest Hemingway e pintores como Degas, Toulouse-Lautrec e Picasso, que pintou pelo menos oito telas sob sua inspiração. Cultuada como medicamento capaz de curar males do estômago e aumentar a disposição, a bebida se tornou mitológica.

Até ser banida de seu país de origem como o "elixir proibido", reinou como Fada Verde (pela cor esverdeada), Deusa Verde ou Musa Verde. Seu maior trunfo seria o poder afrodisíaco, do qual Picasso, homem de muitas mulheres e filhos tardios, foi testemunha.

A Companhia Gastronômica traz o produto de Portugal, da cave Neto da Costa, que aceitou fazer um absinto com o teor alcoólico permitido pela lei brasileira. A graduação máxima permitido às bebidas importadas é de 54º. Cada garrafa custa R$ 75, mais que um uísque médio.
O consumidor, porém, não deve se iludir.

O absinto é um grande negócio, uma bebida mítica, quase uma poção mágica. Mas seu consumo em excesso tem consequências desastrosas. Um dos alertas frequentes é de que pode, em excesso, causar cegueira e problemas nos nervos.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 03:14 am: Edit

Dear Phil,

Pls don't just drop that tantalizer about Brazilian absinthe. Details! Please! for the benefit of us all. And the Buyers Guide.

I used to have a Brazilian house/bedmate and she introduced me to some Brazilian liquor, but man that was 20-odd years ago and I don't recall it louching or even tasting like anise. On the other hand there IS the portuguese connection.

Most interesting to say the least. More so than 'Oxygenee'.

By Frenchman on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 11:49 pm: Edit

To answer to Justin, i don't like to talk about absinthe drink....I am only antique dealer and i will remain antique dealer.

I drink rarely absinthe : I drank several old absinthe when i met old collectors enought crazy to open one bottle. (often without label).
And i drink sometime new absinthe to test.
The best new absinthe i drank at this present time is from the Brazil !!
And all old absinthe are fabulous.....

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 02:31 am: Edit

I'm not a web designer, this is my first effort and I lashed the site together over a weekend using MS Publisher. I thought it more important to get the goods in front of customers than to win awards for best web site. It seems to have worked because most of the choice items are under already offer.

That said, I will contact you off board for some tips, thanks for the offer.

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:05 am: Edit

From a design standpoint, what function is served by making the user click on a picture to get to the price list? How does this support user needs?

Why not give the price on the same page, and have them click on the picture to order? Or at least put a text link that says something like "Order this item" which sends them to the "terms and conditions" page (which is also a confusing moniker: I only went to that page because nowhere else was there a link that said anything about ordering). How does this feature support the user, and how does it support sales?

Just some friendly web design tips. Take 'em or leave 'em. But a little usability testing never hurt anyone. If you want, you could email me privately, and happily I'd give you some additional help.

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 09:26 am: Edit

Damn, and I was going to try and keep my commercial life a secret ;-)

Yes, it is true Phil (Frenchman) has retired from the business and I have aquired his inventory along with a few others. The correct address is now working at http://www.absintheoriginals.com

By Petermarc on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:50 am: Edit

i believe this is our friend absinthedrinker
nice job...real prices...good luck to you...

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:30 am: Edit

For all those in the UK, here is an England based webshop for absinthe antiques. The inventory looks to be items from Frenchmanltd, but the prices are very nice and the items look great as well.

I am not sure who runs it but found it the other day.

- J

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation