London & Paris

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:London & Paris
By Frenchman on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 08:51 am: Edit

Good luck to find good absinthe stuff in antique shops to Paris !!!

The good antique absinthe stuff was already extremely rare when where were only French and Swiss collectors who bought, so you can't imagine at this present time.
If you are lucky, you can find 1 or 2 good absinthe items on a great flea market, never more.(and you must be the first to see it and don't think to buy cheap).....

Good absinthe stuff is on old collection, and you can have it only if you now a lot of antique dealers or collectors.

PhiL

By Petermarc on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 12:46 am: Edit

ekmass,
by the time you get here, it'll be gone...i'm having the same problem...the oysters are the best here during the fall and winter, makes you dream of the ocean and warmer days to come...
good comparison with the wines, for me, your thoughts were made quite clear...

By Tabreaux on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 12:26 am: Edit

I was able to sample the BEI La Bleue recently. What I found interesting about this product is that unlike modern 'absinthes', which are all based on pastis, this product was more in tune with old-world materials and methods. Unlike MM, which tastes like a load of star anise and *nothing* else, I was able to taste other herbs in the BEI La Bleue (and another good La Bleue from Betina as well). Whomever is making this product is adhering more to the original liqueurs as opposed to trying to make an absinthe out of pastis (Spanish), or a bad maceration (Czech). If you tasted the original absinthes, you'd find them to be more subtle than the likes of MM, which IMO, is an assault on the senses (with star anise) in comparison. I just thought it worthwhile to offer a viewpoint coming from the original absinthes as opposed as coming from modern interpretations.

By Ekmass on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Justin, your absinthe is good but I do find it a little flat (no offense). What I mean is that while it has a nice aroma it lacks a richness or depth much like a Muscadet de la Maine versus a Pouilliy Fume, BEI La Bleue is extremly dry. BEI La Bleue is a very refreshing drink, very, but not a drink that could be served after dinner. It is most certainly an apperetif. If we compare it to MM (not that MM is a standard in any way) MM seems to be very rich and round in the mouth, probably due to the star anise which has a more full flavor vs. anise seeds. BEI La Bleue seems more straight forward with sharp anise, a hint of A.Absinthium in the nose then ethanol or rather the flavor of freshly distilled alcohol with no flavoring after distillation. Not to be a harsh critic, as you do not know me, but for flavor alone, I would classify it as a work in progress. I will however, most likely be ordering more. The bottle is already half gone.
EM

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Let me know what you think of it...always looking for a critical palate..

By Ekmass on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 03:39 pm: Edit

BTW Petermarc, just got a bottle of La Bleue from Justin. Be happy to share some at a cafe over some huitres if you are interested.
EM

By Ekmass on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 06:42 am: Edit

Rather Jerry's... And Petermarc please forgive my glib statement below.
EM

By Ekmass on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 06:34 am: Edit

Gerry's it is then! I thought they banned absinthe in 1913...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Jerry's - and bear in mind they don't take cheques and prefer cash...

By Michele on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 05:55 pm: Edit

oops..... is it *gerry's* or *jerry's*?

By Michele on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 05:51 pm: Edit

i'll second the jerry's recommendation. i can't wait to try la fee tomorrow! and thanks again to ian for the original tip.

- m

By Absintheur on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 04:17 pm: Edit

In London your best bet is Gerry's Wine and Spirits Off Licence, 74 Old Compton Street, W1V 5PA (020 7734 4215) at the Leicester Square tube stop. They're open 9:00am-6:30pm weekdays and 9:00am-5.30pm on Saturday.

They'll have virtually all of the major brands importable under UK regulations, and the staff will have cogent advice as to which are their favorites.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 03:23 pm: Edit

ekmass,
absinthe has been banned in france since
1915...but

By Ekmass on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 01:23 pm: Edit

In general I have to agree that this endeavor is a bit like fishing... but sometimes you never know. Anyway Petermarc, I would be happy to see some of your stuff I will e-mail. Thanks
EM

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 08:47 am: Edit

I fear that is the nature of these things. It's a bit like trout fishing, one day you might hook a prime specimen from a particular spot, another day ziltch.

By Greenhour on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 07:59 am: Edit

I was recently in Paris dilgently searching for
any absinthe related items and was only able to
find three glasses. They are in great condition
and were relatively cheap but finding them was at
best an accident. One was in an antique store in
Montparnasse the other two were in a small trinket
shop in montmarte. I wish you luck and can only
say look everwhere.

By Admin on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 07:50 am: Edit

I tried putting together a "travel" section once, culled from miscellaneous posts to the forum. But it was too, too scattered and hectic.

But if everyone posted information in a single thread (like HERE) I would be more than happy to put something together by country.

Please include all known information:

Name
type of shop
country
address
other misc info

By Petermarc on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 02:31 am: Edit

as for paris, there are no shops that have any
real interesting amount of absinthe antiques to
look at...a few spoon here, glasses there, but nothing substantial...the flea market can be interesting, but it is the same problem, a little here and there. quite frankly, the best place
to see the most interesting amount of absinthe
antiques in paris that i know of is my apparment...i don't have a store full, but i have some duplicate items that i could sell you if you like something...or i can direct you to the flea market or the various weekend brocantes(junk/antique sales). e-mail me when you are coming, and if i can arrange it, you are welcome to visit...have fun regardless, there
is alot to do in each city...

By Timk on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 12:27 am: Edit

Quite honestly, living in England myself, i wouldnt bother buying absinthe here if you can find deva or MM it will set you back about $71.5 (50.00) per bottle - thats why most of us just buy from SC, although you may find some La Fee which would work out cheaper, however i have never seen a bottle for sale - havent really looked that hard. As for Antiques, Ian has set up a web-shop based in the uk, but i dont know if there is likely to be many dealers with collectables about.

I do however think a world guide of shops for collectables and hard-to-find absinthe would be a good idea for the forum : - )

Tim

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:22 pm: Edit

I wonder if this might be a good (eventual) topic for the Guide? Anyone second that?

BC

By Ekmass on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Hello all.

I am heading to London and Paris in a week or so and was wondering if there were any good shops in either city to browse and buy absinthe antiques (not that I do not like the wares some of you I know sell). Also perhaps a shop in London to pick up a bottle of MM, La Fee or some other quality product. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
EM

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation