Swiss La Bleue

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Swiss La Bleue
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through June 2, 2000  4   06/02 05:09pm
Archive through June 10, 2000  1   06/10 02:30pm
Archive through July 8, 2000  12   07/08 05:28am

By Don Walsh on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Dear K.

Wow. A Slam-Dust!

Never saw you execute one of those before!

Brava!

D.

By Admin on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Oh! I neglected to dust the thread (myself included).

Please consider yerselves liberally dusted fairily with lots of sproinky-doinky sparkly happy sunshine greeny glittery stuff.

And all that rot.

By Admin on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 04:18 pm: Edit

This is all very silly. Of course manufacturers of various ingestibles can keep their recipes secret.

You went to McDonald's, but did you try Kentucky Fried? Try and get their 11 herbs and spices out of them and see how far you get.

For that matter, a recently covered thread, there is Chartreuse, sold worldwide ... a famously guarded secret recipe for an herbal liquor that contains 130 different herbs.

*Have* you read an ingredients label recently? They very frequently will list "natural and artificial flavorings" or just say "herbs" ... half the condiments in my cabinet do this. Do they have to list out each herb/spice/ingredient? That is called "non-disclosure" to protect the very nature of the uniqueness of your product.

Why would someone who has spent 10 years doing painstaking research arbitrarily hand over all their hardwork to someone who doesn't even seem to have a good reason for picking a fight? Who are you trying to protect? Not us, certainly.

True we can all be opinionated and rascally, thats par for the course, it says so on my faq. And obviously I'm feeling especially so today :-)

Not to mention the fact that both have them (Don & Ted) are well respected and PERSONALLY known to many in this forum.

Can you tell I'm tired of people having to constantly justify their positions to the rabid rabble? I'm all about getting the info on the table, and both Don & Ted are bursting with valuable information, as their two most recent posts show (very generous, thank you).

Oops. You misspelled my ASSSS.

phhbbbbttt!

By tabreaux on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 04:10 pm: Edit

adudinsk,

McDonald's secret sauce is Thousand Island dressing.

With all due respect, this isn't McDonalds. Don is respecting our agreement not to reveal any details regarding anything. To reveal certain details likewise reveals details about the original products that I've worked hard to obtain. The current commercial products have completely missed the mark, and I don't need to give out any free information when I have as much as I do invested. Consider it to be a good business decision, and you'll just have to respect that.

BTW, you misspelled "market" (marked). Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

By adudinsk (209.216.130.6 - 209.216.130.6) on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Oh.. Don.. you spelled simplofies wrong...

FYI!

Andrew

By adudinsk (209.216.130.6 - 209.216.130.6) on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 03:03 pm: Edit

I went to McDonalds today... and asked.. "Whats in your special sauce?" They gave me a list of its contents. To publish the contents.. is not the same as to publish the process.. Don.. you are a not on the level!! I do not believe you..

You my friend are here just to cause problems.. I charge you to "put your money where your mouth is"! There are many recipes of Absinthe published.. many of which are on the internet. To provide its contents.. (as required by law of any food product) is not to provide its process..

How can allllll the food companies be in business if they publish their food stuff's contents? Yet you cannot?

I do not believe you.

So.. with this.. I raise a glass of La Bleue.. of Mari.. of Deva.

And await to see when you shall open your company and corner the absinthe marked.

Best to you.. and may luck be with you.

Still.. talk is cheap.. and I am fed up of this thread, and the non-existant brew to which you claim as finest...

Enough of your dribble.

Good Bye

Andrew

By tabreaux on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Just to add a few things to this discussion:

La Bleue refers to a distinct class of absinthe which is made in Switzerland. La Bleue is characterized by its clear color, and concise flavors. Clear absinthes were made and commercialized in Switzerland since way back (like Berger). La Bleue is made its own traditional way, and to compare La Bleue to the Pontarlier absinthes is like comparing white wine to red. In other words, they are both genuine, but are different. Like the wine analogy, La Bleue is the clean, simpler, lighter tasting drink. The Pontarlier absinthes look different (natural green) and are more complex. Also, just like white and red wines, the manufacturing process is different. As for herbs, whether 3 or 12 are employed, there are a world of variables which will affect how the product tastes. I've tasted 3 different La Bleues now, and some are more textured than others. Some taste simpler, but others are more complex than I would have guessed (9 herbs). The difference here are inherent to the tastes of the different makers. Consider it equivalent to different distilleries of single malt scotch.

As for Don and I, we are not out to replicate Swiss La Bleue. I am well acquainted with the secrets of La Bleue, but this is not what we plan to offer. The Swiss do a good job with La Bleue, and rest assured that the better La Bleues (some are more interesting than others) are far superior to any of the commercial products. Since the 'white wine' of absinthe (La Bleue) is being done pretty well, what Don and I are doing is what no one has yet done, which is to recreate the 'red wine' of absinthes.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 11:23 am: Edit

Dear Jack

I think Ted and I are on record (on this Forum) as saying that Christmas/New Years is a safe bet. Maybe we will be able to improve on that schedule. You are right about the tape, of whatever color, but we have various anti-gordian sorts of techniques to deal with that, as two of our partners have considerable clout at the highest levels. That's why they are on board.

Pls rest assured that we aren't dragging our feet at all. It's full speed ahead. I am testing production technology alternatives, Ted is in advanced tests of the centuried bottles he has. We had our first face to face in New Orleans last April and next one will be here in Bangkok in about 60 days. We are at the point of making final selection of bottle and label and packaging (all first class).

No reason not to get a couple bottles of Deva in meantime. But you shouldn't have to drink it too slow.

By blackjack on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 09:58 am: Edit

So, Don, I know you've still got some red (green?) tape to work out before you can ship your absinthe, and there's no tlling how long that could take, if the Thai government is anything like the US, but for the sake of argument, at which of the following holidays am I likely to be able to sip your new potion:

Labor Day?
Halloween?
Thanksgiving?
Christmas?

Jack
(Who's running out of Deva and wants to know if he should order more while he's waiting...)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation