How much extract to add to pastis?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:How much extract to add to pastis?
By tabreaux on Thursday, June 01, 2000 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Extract is different from the oil, and if they give an oral dosage it may be thujone free. Or, since wormwood can refer to a number of plants, it may not be derived from absinthium. The 1:5 ratio could be an herbs to solvent ratio, but whether this was based on volume or weight, I do not know. I just don't know enough to advise, but they make it sound innocuous enough.

By Change History on Thursday, June 01, 2000 - 11:03 am: Edit

It's extract (which is different from oil, right?). The label says "Dry herb/menstruum ratio 1:5. Contents: grain alcohol (75%) distilled water & wormwood extractives". Their suggested dosage is up to 20 drops 3 times a day!!

By tabreaux on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I don't know what the content of that product is, and rest assured that they will vary widely due to a number of variables. Assuming the product would be oil of wormwood recovered via steam distillation (the strongest), my calculations indicate that it would require 0.04-0.05g to get 30mg of thujone in 1 kg of 90 proof liquor (which is a little more than one liter). 0.05g of wormwood oil is about 0.06mL, which is one drop or less. As you can see, adding more tends to get toxic (and excessively bitter) quickly. Extracts are made differently, and unless you know the concentration of the extract, you have no idea. Let me just point out FWIW that distillation of wormwood in alcohol excludes the toxic, bitter principles found in both the oil and extracts. Since someone has already almost died from ingestion of a small amount of oil of wormwood, I obviously don't condone this 'poor man's' practice. Finally, again FWIW, an upset stomach seems to be the first symptom of poisoning, and this seems to be a frightenly common complaint with homemade horrors unwittingly offered as 'absinthe'.

By Change History on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 04:42 pm: Edit

How much wormwood extract should be added to 1 liter of Herbsaint to make pseudo-absinthe? The FAQ lists both 1/2 teaspoon and 1 1/2 tablespoons -- a big difference. How much would bring it up to the 30mg of traditional absinthe? (I do like the bitter flavor of the wormwood.)

I'm using "Herb Pharm" brand extract which is sold at Whole Foods. Anybody know if there is any thujone content in it?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation