Archive through June 1, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Steeped Absinthe & Spiritscorner:Archive through June 1, 2000
By jgturpin on Thursday, June 01, 2000 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Good for you Mike, my you find it as enjoyable as I did my first time!

By Michael Snyder on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Woo-Hoo my bottle of Mari is on its way....Now counting the days.

By Alan Cecil on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I am well aware that no steeped absinthe is the equal to distilled. I am also aware that distilling ANY liquor in the USA is illegal, while steeping it is not. I am also aware that Hills is going for £40 in England (or about $65 in USA dollars), and you can make something better than Hills for around $15. No, not near as yummy as Deva. But Deva goes for a lot of money...if you can get it.

By Michael Snyder on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I have been avidly courious about absinthe for about 5 years now, and have often contemplated creating it myself. After looking at this page and what others have written about the steeping methods, I am looking to those with experience to guide me in my efforts. There appear to be two primary steeping methods used to create the beverage of my desire. One of these using vodka or Everclear, the other using Port Wine. Hmmm...These must create two very different tastes. If anyone here can offer a little advise from their experiences It would be more than appriciated.
On another note. I have looked at the spiritscorner.com website and am particularly interested in purchasing some of the very different flavors and styles of absinthe, however it when I went to place an order I quickly found two issues. First that I'm not sure on the conversion rate for euros, and secondly they don't appear to ship to the US...If I'm mistaken on this fact please let me know.

Mersault

By tabreaux on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 07:18 am: Edit

Steeping doesn't give absinthe, only distillation does. You can steep to humor yourself, but all you'll end up with is a foul tasting concoction. Distillation separates the herbal essences from the bitter and noxious components. When you order any of the products from Spirits Corner, and taste compared to something you steep, you won't bother steeping anymore. Nasty!

By Michael Snyder on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 08:48 am: Edit

Understood. Has anyone every attempted to make the so called absinthe wine whose recipe is scattered around the internet?

No fully disenchanted with the idea of steeping wormwood in vodka or Everclear, does anyone know if spiritscorner will ship to the US and what the conversion rate for Euros is?

Mersault

By SeaRobin on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 11:04 am: Edit

Michael,

I live in the US and got an order from spiritcorner.com yesterday. I recomend them highly.

I had a hard time finding the US shipping too. You won't find it listed under "United States". It is listed under "EUU/United States" or something close to that. Look under the "E" section and you will find it.

If you want to know international money conversions, go to this site. http://www.xe.net/ucc/
They are exact up to the minute.

I can't recomend spiritscorner enough....I got my order in 9 days using a credit card. If there is someone with better priceing please let me know.

In US Dollars:
Lasala $10.09
Montaña $12.00
Mari Mayans 70º $13.97
Serpis $16.65
Deva $10.67
1 bottle shiping $40.23
3 bottle shipping $72.99

I know I'm going on about this....belive me, I don't work for them... :)

My suggestion is to use the money conversion site and do your own conversions. The exchange rate may different now than it was two weeks ago.

By Michael Snyder on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Thanks all.. Let nobody ever say that someone who converses with the green fairy has acted in an inhospitable manner. If anyone has tried to make this so called absinthe wine I've love to hear their story.

Pleasent Dreams,
Mersault

By JKK on Wednesday, May 24, 2000 - 03:03 pm: Edit

My experience is that steeping doesn't work. I haven't made the wine, but put the herb in both Pernod and vodka. No effect. I think you have to distill. I don't do it myself as I have no mechanical ability. Has anybody out there been successful? You can contact me be e-mail. :)

By JKK on Wednesday, May 24, 2000 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Make that BY e-mail

By absinthe on Friday, May 26, 2000 - 05:35 am: Edit

I come from Barcelona, and some friends and I would like to drink it for the first time. But some other friends told us they didn't feel anything, so I'm sure they didn't taste real absinthe. How can I make it, and how can I destill it? Do you know of any ritual to drink it? Night? 21sth of june ( solsticio de verano )?

By jgturpin on Friday, May 26, 2000 - 10:25 am: Edit

Try the FAQ

By Alan Cecil on Sunday, May 28, 2000 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Thought I'd toss my 2¢ in...
Here is an exerpt from an interview with Kallisti and Marquis Deja Du, who created the le fee verte webpage:
Question:
Have you made absinthe? If so, how did it turn out?

Kallisti and Marquis: Yes. Brilliantly. Have not as yet distilled it (which is illegal), but we have made steeped concoctions (which is not illegal for personal use, take note). We've gone through myriad recipes over the last five or six years and have gone from face-wincingly-repulsive to mildly tolerable to downright tasty. We are currently constructing the über-absinthe (of the steeped variety) that will be the correct color without aid from food coloring, and will cloud when mixed with water.

Lilith: Yes ... make it quite often. Started out tasting rather nasty ... just using the basic recipe. But I've experimented, and refined the taste ... and now it's quite pleasant.

To see the entire article, go here:
http://www.wired.com/news/topstories/0,1287,11499,00.html

By tabreaux on Monday, May 29, 2000 - 03:16 pm: Edit

You could never use anywhere near an equivalent amount of absinthium in a steeped concoction as you could with a properly distilled absinthe. No way. You could not drink it, not would you want to attempt to for reasons of toxicity. Nor could you ever get a steeped experiment to taste on par with a quality distilled absinthe simply because the acrid, bitter principles in the pertinent herbs are excluded by the process of distillation, which is precisely why absinthe is distilled. Furthermore, when that article was written, half-decent distilled absinthes were not available anyway. Quite a bit has changed since then.

By Mr. wormwood (206.241.18.11 - 206.241.18.11) on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 05:02 am: Edit

Check the date on that article and read between the lines.

It should read: But I've experimented, and refined the taste ... and now it's quite pleasant [compared to Hills].

Back in the dark ages you could not order any absinthe on the internet. Steeped absinthe tastes terrible, but it was/is better than Hills and it was all there was.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation