Archive through May 30, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:The best absinthe:Archive through May 30, 2000
By Ivan on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Hello,

Who is the best Absinthe?
Mari Mayans? Sebor? Deva?

I think buy my first botle this week..

thanks

By Fredie (152.163.201.191 - 152.163.201.191) on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Stay true...Stay Bleue.....
But it'll cost ya

By Bigmike (Bigmike) on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 02:47 am: Edit

Having only ever tried Sebor absinthe I can't really tell you what the best absinthe is. So do what I'm doing... buy a bottle of each. I have bottles of Mari Mayans, Deva and Lasala on their way to me, from spiritscorner.com, as we speak.

Once I've sampled them all I'll make my own website and join the absinthe ring. From there, I'll begin my takeover of the whole world.

Still gotta drink absinthe first.

Oh well, I'll just have to try to like it :)

PS... Why is my name at the top of this twice?

By buzzard on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 07:22 am: Edit

I would have to recommend trying bleue if you can afford it, my next choice would be deva then sebors, in my humble oppinion Mari Mayans is a lot like deva and I prefer Deva. Sebors is worth trying for its herbal quality.

By SeaRobin on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 10:16 am: Edit

I just had my first taste last night. I sampled both Mari Mayans and Deva. Now granted, I'm no expert but I'd have to say that Deva tasted better than the Mari Mayans. They were very similar but the Mayans was more bitter than the deva. Mayans also has a much higher alcohol content which also effects flavor.

Just based on the sugar cube usage: Mayans needs two sugars to make it drinkable, while Deva needs only one sugar at most. Deva is also good with no sugar added.

I've got some Sebor on the way too. I'm gonna try and sample as many different brands as I can.

By jgturpin on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I have sampled Deva, Serpis, and Mayans. My first experience was less the favorable. I quickly learned that all three need to be as COLD as they can be. I also found that a 1:4 ratio is a little better then the 1:3. It makes for a crisp refreshing drink with a light liquorish taste. I prefer the Mayans a little over the Deva but they are indeed close. I agree that the Mayans does need a little more sugar then the Deva but I have a sweet tooth. The Serpis is nice also, it taste a little less strong then the others but is also a great Absinthe. The Bleue is on its way so I will be able to comment on that soon. I hope to write a few reviews and post a site in the near future.

By pikklish (38.27.133.79 - 38.27.133.79) on Thursday, May 25, 2000 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Just got my first bottles of Deva, Mayans and Bleue today... have to say, if you can afford it, go with the Bleue, buy it from Betina, you won't be sorry! ... the Mayans has a really nice color and the flavor is a little on the anise'ee side but I have to say Deva is the better of the two so far...

By Fredie (152.163.201.183 - 152.163.201.183) on Thursday, May 25, 2000 - 09:34 pm: Edit

To Searobin
It's 'cause of the higher alcohol content in the
Maris
I feel the same way about the 2
and though now I consider myself spoiled after having La Bleue
(IMHO) it's SOOOOOooo superior to anything else
I've sampled
I'm off to Europe and the mideast for 3 weeks starting next week and except for Kruts Karport I'm afraid I'll be Ab. free for a while
and have to settle for Ouzo in Athens
PRAY FOR ME GUYS!!!!
BCNU-Fredie

By SeaRobin (199.72.97.191 - 199.72.97.191) on Friday, May 26, 2000 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Iíve had these three bottles for about a week and between my wife and meÖ.ok, mostly me, one of the Mayanís is gone and about half the Deva is gone. Iím gonna have to put in another order so I donít run out. I also find that my tastes are becoming a little different. I now use only one sugar in Mayans and no sugar at all in Deva. My wife doesnít put sugar in either one.

As for trying Le Bleue, Iíd love to, but at $250 a bottle Iím afraid Iím going to have to pass for right nowÖ.If the stock market recovers sometime soon and I make up the money Iím down on MSFT, I may pick up a bottle. Damn, I really thought MSFT was a good buy at $78 a shareÖ.now its down to $61.44Ö.Oh wellÖdoesnít look as if Iíll get my Le Bleue anytime soon.

Good Luck on your trip and have fun.
SeaRobin

By Fredie (152.163.213.64 - 152.163.213.64) on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 12:38 am: Edit

Save up 'cause once you've tried it it's hard to go back.
I cant even Stand Maris anymore
maybe the lower alchol would be ok
but the 70* is just too high to make it taste right
-Fredie

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation