Domino Hostess Crystal Tablets

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Domino Hostess Crystal Tablets
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through July 7, 2000  3   07/07 04:38pm

By bluedog1 on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Give a box for free with an order?

That's called a lagniappe, isn't it Ted?

How New Orleanian!

I can tell you not to use Arabic sugar cubes. While they are good for hot tea, they are too dense and dry to decompose under dripping, drizzling, or running water. I even tried pre soaking them. They do not like to dissolve in cold liquid.

By Don Walsh on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 04:52 am: Edit

I dount we would have to charge more for the instructions. As to the spoons and glasses, I bet that Crillon will be having a bankruptcy sale before long. Maybe Ted & I can pick up theirs for pennies on the dollar.

That only leaves the sugar tablets. When the time comes, my vote on the Board of Directors will be to give away a box for free. Maybe the Louisiana State govt will subsidize?

D.

By bluedog1 on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Dear Don & Ted;

Cool! Sugar, spoons, glasses and instructions on the bottom of the bottle (just like on the bottom of my boot).

I'm gonna go take out a second mortgage to get that all inclusive package -- do it yourself Absinthe imbiber's kit! :-)

By LanMan on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 07:42 am: Edit

It's called a square prism (Machinery's Handbook, 23rd edition), but I think these particular sugar devices are called tablets.

By Don Walsh on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 04:20 am: Edit

Just so the ghost of Solid Geometry doesn't crap on our hats, a cube perforce has equal sides; what Domino makes is a nice 'rectangular solid' piece of processed sugar, but it's not a cube...it's more like a lozenge.

I forget what the formal name for a rectangular noncubic solid is. Duh!

By The Green Imp on Sunday, July 09, 2000 - 10:52 am: Edit

Dominosugar.com is the web site for Domino Sugar.
They do have an area to submit questions.
Hope this helps
Regards
Jay

By tabreaux on Sunday, July 09, 2000 - 10:20 am: Edit

I think the problem here is finding the right cubes. The best ones I have seen are the Domino sugar tablets, which are the nice rectangular cubes. I don't think they are distributed everywhere, but they abound here in New Orleans. When our products become available, I'll make sure that you can get the right cubes through us, and for the right price.

By Don Walsh on Sunday, July 09, 2000 - 08:11 am: Edit

Jeez, is this such a hassle?

Do Ted and I need to furnish a box of sugar cubes with every bottle?

Along with spoons?

Glasses?

Instructions on bottom of glass?

"Absinthe Goes In Other End"?

By The Green Imp on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Well you might try Gilway brand Demerara Sugar Cubes, They have them in the Randalls Chain here in Houston, Do you have Randalls in Austin?
I haven't been to Austin in awhile, so I am not up on your local Supermarkets.
Domino Sugar has a website, you might check to see if they do business with any Austin markets.
I don't use Imperial's cubes either, give the Demerara Cubes a try, they have a bit different taste. Hope this helps.
Regards
Jay in Houston

By malhomme (209.99.96.212 - 209.99.96.212) on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 10:39 pm: Edit

I heard on NPR that Kroger is the largest (something?) in USA, second only to Walmart.
However there is not a single one in Austin.
Years ago I tried Imperial Sugar (can we all say "Another Texas monopoly") but they just don't melt under chilled water, and they're the wrong dimension, anyway.
Are hostess crystal tabs the same as Domino Dots?
malhomme

By Marc (12.78.197.187 - 12.78.197.187) on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I have some Swiss sugar cubes. They're called La Cube. They'll run you about $80 a box.

By meursault06 (63.65.3.118 - 63.65.3.118) on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Not to mention I've been to 7 supermarkets in the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania and not one carried sugar cubes.....Are they still even made or have sugar cubes gone the way of Frankenberry Cereal and Tato Skins?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation