Back from Summer Tour 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Back from Summer Tour 2000
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through July 6, 2000  7   07/06 09:09am

By tabreaux on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 11:37 am: Edit

It would be a tricky proposition to weigh out such a small amount (3-4mg). The possibility of a convulsion deters me.

By Marc on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 01:07 am: Edit

Ted,

Have you ever ingested pure thujone? Is so,
did it have an effect?

By tabreaux on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Mr. Wormwood and I have discussed the results. To make a long story short and keep things in layman's terms, with all due and I mean all due respect to Mr. Wormwood, my study yielded more detailed data, probably because I used the exact GC column specified in the official test method. This item resolved thujone (and other essences) exceptionally well. After comparing Herbsaint against a sample of Herbsaint which was spiked with thujone, the virigin sample exhibited zero thujone content at a detectable limit of 1mg/kg. These results were of perfect quality, and were plainly readible with no ambiguity. I do not doubt them in the least.

I will be performing more invasive studies on all the commercial products in the near future. These studies will leave nothing to speculation. I should be able to determine the exact contents of each, and put all speculation to rest.

By Don Walsh on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 11:30 am: Edit

Thanks, Marc and Absintheur. Time certainly does march on, and so do prices. The reason I asked was, people reading the posts who just tuned in and then went to buy Sebor would have had a shock...Marc was talking a 1998 or 1999 medium quantity discount for the original version of the product. That is, I believe, Krasni Lipa, the $3.50 US a half liter stuff (Kyle's quote to me, in THIS year) for a pallet order FOB Prague.

My personal taste issues with Sebor should not color the fact that it is undeniably the best of the Czech products. My chagrin at the double shuffle I got from Kyle and his UK consorts became totally irrelevant and moot once I tasted the product. I suppose, things might be different if I were Czech...de gustibus and all that.

The honor of being the primus inter parus of the Czech products is perhaps diminished by looking at the runner ups. Nevertheless. There we are.

This is not intended as a brand war or a flame ignition. You who love Sebor are welcome to do so. Good on you! In my father's house are many mansions and all that...

By Marc on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 10:33 am: Edit

Don,

I haven't checked Kyle's prices on Sebor in a quite some time, but it was $30 a bottle when I ordered it. That was based on a purchase of 4 bottles. I wouldn't lie to you, big boy.

Ted,

Have you and Wormwood had any discussions regarding the disparity in the results of your thujone tests? I don't doubt your results. Just wondering.

By tabreaux on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 09:35 am: Edit

Regarding Herbsaint, availability seems spotty at times. But just to reiterate what we've since learned, for the sake of avoiding confusion, it is indeed NOT absinthe.

By Absintheur on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 08:12 am: Edit

"Pls explain. How did you get Sebor export in (shipped, taxed) for $35 a 500 ml bottle? I'm sure we all want to know."

Kyle's initial pricing was $28 a bottle, shipped. This was prior to the reformulation with a darker coloration step. The price has been spiraling upwards for roughly two years now, but there was a time when Sebor was the most affordable absinthe available on the internet -- by a long margin.

By Don Walsh on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 07:05 am: Edit

Dear Marc

$35 US a bottle landed for export Sebor? Kyle must have cut you a deal. That isn't consistent with his stated pricing, before OR after Sebor UK took over worldwide distribution. And I don't suppose you bought a pallet did you? 500 bottles might be a little hard to impot into USA.

Pls explain. How did you get Sebor export in (shipped, taxed) for $35 a 500 ml bottle? I'm sure we all want to know.

It's academic as I said. The stuff is equine urine. Probably a rich hormone source if the horses are all pregnant mares.

By Marc on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 02:53 am: Edit

Don, maybe I'm sentimental, but I like Sebor.
It was the first absinthe I ever drank and I have pleasant memories of the experience.

I've purchased Sebor from Kyle, export quality, for about $35 a bottle landed. I haven't ordered any in a quite awhile though. I'm a La Bleue man.

On a side note, I ordered several cases of Herbsaint only to be told that it is unavailable.
The most recent production is sold out. Did Wormwood's thujone ratings spark an interest in our homegrown absinthe? Or am I overestimating the power of the forum?

By Don Walsh on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 02:24 am: Edit

Dear Marc

Sebor is 38 pounds sterling for a half liter. That would be approx $125 US a liter, retail in UK. I dunno what the UK wholesale is. I can tell you what the FOB price is ex Prague for a pallet of 500 bottles. 7 UK pounds per bottle. That's what Sebor UK quoted me. Kyle quoted $3.50 US for what he first said was export, and later said was the local Czech stuff (Krasni) -- although he posted on this Forum and/or his website that he NEVER sold Krasni Lipa. Must have mispoken himself I guess....

It's all academic to me now as I find Sebor to be undrinkable in all varieties. Just my personal opinion of course. Those of you out there who wish to drink Sebor, have at it, more power to you.

By Marc on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 06:12 pm: Edit

As somebody who runs 3 bars, I can tell you that we operate at a 20% liquor cost or 500% mark-up.
In other words, we buy it for a buck and sell it for 5 bucks. Deva absinthe costs $30 a bottle landed in the USA. It yields about 30 one ounce shots. My cost then would be a buck a shot which I would sell for $5. Of course, absinthe is illegal to sell in the USA , so, I don't.

Absinthe is relatively cheap compared to a high end scotch or Champagne, for example. There is no reason to sell a shot of absinthe for $25, other than greed. In England, where absinthe is legal but expensive even at wholesale, bars sell absinthe drinks for $10 - $12. In New York, there are a couple of bars that discreetly sell absinthe for around $10 a drink.

The guy dealing the $25 shots doesn't even have
overhead.

A deadhead selling absinthe out of his hippy van for $25 a shot is a real anachronism. So much for the communal sharing of the Aquarian Age. Jerry must be rolling over in his grave. What's next?
Absinthe incense at $10 a stick? Or how about a
nice absinthe bottle holder made out of macrame for a mere $50. That's genuine macrame, man, my old lady made it out organic of hemp that was blessed by a real Hopi shaman. I can also sell you an empty bottle of Deva for $20, it makes a great candle holder. Far out, huh?

Back in the old days, us hippies could barely get up the scratch to buy a 99 cent bottle of Boone's Farm wine.

By br0therben on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Even though I am known for giving away bottles of free Absinthe samples, I have to admit that 25$ a shot is probably what the stuff would go for in a HIGH priced bar. It's not like we don't have a few of those in this town.
Think of it this way. It costs about 4 or 5 dollars for a Jack and Coke at most of the bars I frequent. Some of those umbrella drinks ring in at 7 or 8 bucks a pop, sometimes more. A good scotch is probably over ten, though I am not sure. We all know wines go for 5 to 30 a glass, depending on the brand.
OF COURSE I am aware that the commercial Absinthes available today are not on the same level as a Cognac or a good scotch. Nor a decent glass of wine, for that matter. But the fact that the stuff is "illegal" probably brings it up to the bar-rape cost of 25 bucks a shot.
HOWEVER, bars are also charging to cover overhead, atmosphere, bouncers, etc. Oh yeah, and don't forget taxes and a license, neither of which Wiz is paying.
Nonetheless the price is probably not the problem here, it is the undercutting of commercial drinking establishments. I could make ethical arguments either way, but generally speaking keg parties undercut bar pricing as well (I can drink a lot of beer for five dollars). I've had a few keggers in my time...
As long as he doesn't make a regular business out of selling Absinthe at Dead shows, the practice doesn't rile me very much. It may not be legal, or entirely ethical, but I am guilty of some minor infractions myself, so I can't get too worked up over it.
Just my opinion...

By blackjack on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 07:14 am: Edit

marc said: "Why are people willing to pay $25 a shot for absinthe?"

Nobody ever lost money unserestimating the intellegence of the average American...

What Wiz is doing is exactly the kind of thing that went on with cigars a few years back, not just with (mostly fake) Cubans, but with hard-to-find super-premium brands from other places. People who could get them would sell them at unbelievibly inflated prices, and people would line up to pat $50 for an Opus X, just because they thought it would make them cool. All the while, however, there was a community of long-time smokers who were trading and giving away these same cigars to each other just to be good people. Thank Crom the cigar fad is over and only the good people are still around.

FWIW, people sell Cokes at Dead shows for about the same mark-up. As far as I'm concerned, the pseudo-hippies should either stop being capitalist pigs or start bathing...make a choice...

By Marc on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Ted,

Slavery has been practiced by other countries other than America may be true, but it doesn't make it any less odious.

Wiz,

Why are people willing to pay $25 a shot for absinthe?

By WIZ on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Yes, I let everyone know Absinthe was available on the Internet. NO DECEPTION was involved what-so-ever. People gladly paid the price to taste the Elixer. Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. But this is America in the 21st Century. When Absinthe is sold legally over the counter then all of us will have to change our ways. Till then make as much money as you can off the Custies who gladly give their money away for everything they can get their hands or mouth on.

I love you.
Regards
WIZ

By tabreaux on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 09:06 am: Edit

The evils of slavery have been practiced in virtually every country at some point in the past 200 years. Don't think that this country (U.S.) was the only one which made use of it. Absinthe wasn't involved in this practice.

Taxation without fair governmental representation (economic rape) is yet another evil, which was the major cause of the American Revolution. Neither was absinthe involved in this practice.

Absinthe however, was involved in WIZ's practice. Did he generate bad karma? If you have a high standard of ethics, what WIZ did may seem to be unethical. If he seduced people with misinformation in his enterprise (I'd hope not), than it is unethical by any standards. On the other hand, if he's fair and transparent, caveat emptor. My personal values refrain me from offering something to anyone at a price I wouldn't be willing to pay myself. I believe that is a more favorable modus operandi in the eyes of JAH.

By Marc on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 01:17 am: Edit

green piggy,

I am well-read on many subjects. The American Revolution is not one of them. I've never been interested in reading about war. I agree with you that our freedoms were built on the oppression of Native American and Blacks.

I'll read more if you'll learn to spell.

By le vert porc on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 12:52 am: Edit

Marc,

read a bit chap

"...Rariry is defined by the gross product(absinthe) in a system (America) not the accessibility(easy internet purchase)..."

Revolutionaries huh? Somewhat funny that a group of white, land-owning, well educated, non-native men (as where all members of this "revolutionary" group) founded a system of gov't based on equality while letting the economy be based on a system of inequality....somewhat planned it seems..and fought a war to escape massive taxation by the English Crown...a very interesting colour or green and it was not that of absinthe, rather of money and tobacco..

no not greed middle man..rather greedy ogliarchs

but well now this is an absinthe forum not a history forum (and what is with this rather sonorous wrestling thing with Mongo Don?)

..my little piggy needed something new...

By Marc on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Absinthe pig,

Absinthe rare. Bullshit. I order mine over the internet, pay for it using my credit card and it's on my doorstep in a week.

I'm a capitalist myself, I run 3 nightclubs in Manhattan and make a good living doing it. But, I am not a capitalist pig. I don't exploit my customers or my staff. I also don't mark up the food and beverages I sell by 2000 percent.
Ripping people off is not a way to express patriotism. Let's not forget, this country was founded by revolutionaries, not greedy middle men.

By Absinthe Piggy on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 08:12 pm: Edit

What Wiz did is done everyday by anyone who sales anything...it is the backbone of our economy to be a capitalist it is why we don't stand in bread lines and live in tight-pakced grotto. I don't see what he did wrong, he offered a very rare product and value to based on how much people are willing to pay (and any preconceived notions about that product are not his problem). Ripping people off...nah just being a good american.

Hey Piggy pig pig pig..all of my fears came true...

By WIZ on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Sorry you don't agree. If people can sell bottles for $120.00 when they're only $30.00. Yes, I made about $350.00 a bottle after free drinks for myself and return buyers. Taste great too. I'm not ashamed of what I did this trip. Will do it again next time. I guess I'm just a capitalist pig with dreads, to quote one of the fourm readers.
I love you.

JAH Love
WIZ

By Black Rabbit on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I gotta go with Marc on this one. When it comes to turning people on to something, I never ask for money. No one has ever asked me for money when they gave me a bit of whatever... I like that ethic. It helps ensure that you aren't getting talcum powder, plain blotter paper or Hills. The giver has no reason to rip off the receiver.

I could see charging for absinthe to pay your way, but not... that much. Maybe a free shot or two and then sell bottles?

By Marc on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Wiz,

You're paying $30 bucks a litre for absinthe.
That's approx. 30 shots. At $25 a shot you're
making $750 a bottle or a $720 profit on a $30 investment. That really is shameful. You're doing the absinthe community a disservice. You're selling absinthe like drug dealers sell drugs. The potential for getting busted doesn't justify ripping people off. Deadheads like you have completely lost touch with the spirit of the 60's. You're just a capitalist pig with dreads and tye-dye. And you should think twice before invoking Jah's name, he's watching you and I bet he doesn't like what he sees.

By Morrigan Le Fey on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Hmmm....a capitalist absintheur. Sorry Wiz, but it kind of leaves a bad taste in me' mouth.

- Morrigan

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation