An Interesting and Rare Find

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:An Interesting and Rare Find
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through July 4, 2000  11   07/04 02:50pm

By malhomme on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 02:19 pm: Edit

No, but all my family is from there (Thibodeaux's, Guidry's... I'm a Trahan).
I found the bottle there a couple years back while visiting my family in Chalmette. No label, but otherwise in perfect condition.

I should visit again soon. We visit about once a year (not at Mardi Gras!!!).

I miss the humidity...and the familiar faces. :)

Jim

By tabreaux on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 08:47 am: Edit

If the E. Pernod bottle is not an export bottle, the label on the back (if any) will not contain the export verbiage pertaining to a registered trademark in Washington D.C.. As far as how it gets to New Orleans, it came with an individual. Are you in New Orleans?

By malhomme on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I have an E. Pernod, the bottle is exactly as Domingo described except for the texturing in the seal. How would it be that a "not-for-export" bottle would come to New Orleans?

(The seal is perfectly centered, no chips, and consists of a Swiss cross, with (presumably) wormwood leaves at the inside corners of the cross, "* E. PERNOD * COUVET "

By domingo on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Thanks Ted. The bottle is totally stripped. It has the twisting at the neck. No label no foil. The stamp however is incredibly clear. Thanks again. domingo

By tabreaux on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Additionally, unless the silver foil at the top is totally intact, you should see twists in the glass near the mouth of the bottle. This is typical of the older bottles. If the labeling is conventional (i.e. not the old, obscure label) it is indeed a late 1800s bottle.

By domingo on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Thanks Absintheur. I found it at an antique shop for $8.00. It is absolutely beautiful to me. The kick up is not straight forward (about 3 inches tall), it is tiered or waved with a large nipple finish on the bottom exterior. The seal is totally intact. It has a star above and below the name and a grain texture to the body of the seal. Thanks again.

By Absintheur on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 07:22 pm: Edit

"I have been unable to date nor have I seen a picture of a bottle this old. It is dark green and 100% hand blown. In order to put the pernod fils seal on it, they placed a glob of hot glaas then stamped it. The stamp is not part of any cast. I was wondering if anyone can identify date or value (to me priceless but I am not sane)."

This is the pre-1890 French (ie. not for export) Pernod "blob-seal" bottle. They came in 12 and 18 inch sizes. The depth of the kick-up base and the finer nuances of the seal speak volumes to folks with far more expertise than I've got.

Without their labels, these are not terribly uncommon (I have three), but it's somewhat unusual to to find them with "perfect" blob-seals (ie. well centered without chips). The Edouard Pernod blob-seal bottle is virtually identical.

The actual international value of these bottles is between $5 and $20 without labels, and between $50 and $100 with moderately intact labeling -- BUT, of course, on the internet the unlabeled bottles go for between $40 and $100 and the labeled ones start at $300 and go up from there.

By domingo on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 07:09 pm: Edit

I found a very old (empty) bottle of Pernod Fils. I have been unable to date nor have I seen a picture of a bottle this old. It is dark green and 100% hand blown. In order to put the pernod fils seal on it, they placed a glob of hot glaas then stamped it. The stamp is not part of any cast. I was wondering if anyone can identify date or value (to me priceless but I am not sane). I checked the History section and looked at the old bottles you have posted here. The stamps in those pictures appear to be part of the cast. Too symetrical.
Finding this bottle is proof to me that at least one person in New England drank absinthe. I've been to hundreds of antique stores and flea markets from R.I. to Maine, not a single spoon or glass.
Thanks for any info.
Looking for local gathering or drinkers.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation