Efficacy, Potency, and the Hegemony of Thujone.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Efficacy, Potency, and the Hegemony of Thujone.
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through June 22, 2000  42   06/22 12:18am

By Artemis on Sunday, July 02, 2000 - 11:32 am: Edit

Response to selected quotes from Don:

"The dispute is more than 10 days old now, so the heat is long gone."

I know, but I only get to see the forum every ten days or so. I have to jump in where I can. And I know you know me well enough to realize I meant nothing personal in my response.

"No particular possessiveness was really intended. "

I know. I was talking about all of us, including me.

"I am curious about what you think about the absinthe/Chartreuse thing. It is pretty clear the
liqueurs are closely related and that Chartreuse is older by 50-100 years. And they sprang up the both of them in the Alps."

I have to plead ignorance. Recently someone told me I was wrong about the color I had ascribed to a given absinthe. He said it was more like chartreuse. I had to reply that I can't use that word, becaue I have no idea what color that is. I have never even seen it.

"Absinthe seems like a simplified Chartreuse (from an overview). Usually but not always minus the angelica."

Seems logical to me.

"In fact I am incensed at the exemption the French government gave it -- stark hypocrisy."

Find government regulation and you find hypocrisy.

"I am just interested in the clear historical connectivity."

As am I, but with not enough time to research it right now. I consider Absintheur the man in this regard on this forum. Maybe he can respond.

By Don Walsh on Sunday, July 02, 2000 - 10:48 am: Edit

Dear Artemis

(mail received thanks)

The dispute is more than 10 days old now, so the heat is long gone.

No particular possessiveness was really intended. The good and the great can exist alongside the mediocre and the downright shoddy.

As always the market will judge.

Judgement isn't simple. The market isn't simple.

Hills still sells a lot of volume in UK. Does that make Hills a great absinthe? Not hardly. It makes UK absinthe consumers, poorly educated.

I am curious about what you think about the absinthe/Chartreuse thing. It is pretty clear the liqueurs are closely related and that Chartreuse is older by 50-100 years.
And they sprang up the both of them in the Alps.

Absinthe seems like a simplified Chartreuse (from an overview). Usually but not always minus the angelica.

I am not arguing that Chartreuse is better.

In fact I am incensed at the exemption the French government gave it -- stark hypocrisy.

I am just interested in the clear historical connectivity.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 02, 2000 - 09:12 am: Edit

Don asked:

"how do we then dispense with the Roux-like Fakirs?"

We don't. We educate the consumer and let the chips fall where they may. I sense a certain possesiveness about all things absinthe here. I've been guilty of it myself. But we don't own absinthe. We don't control it. We don't define it. We do our thing (production, research, etc. according to our abilities). We tell the truth about what we learned. Hopefully we don't hoard information (Usenet precept: "Share what you know; learn what you don't).
And we let the chips fall where they may.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation