Thoughts on Absente

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Thoughts on Absente
By Joey P. on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 10:21 pm: Edit

I'm from Jersey. Are you from Jersey? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

By Black Rabbit on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Got a letter from Crillon today: Due to unanticipated demand, blah blah, wait another four weeks, yadda yadda, sorry and stuff... Crillon.

New Jersey- would any state in the Union be a more fitting home for fake absinthe? (for those of you who haven't been there, NJ is the place to see big hair, plastic pink flamingos on lawns, and... well... white trash culture at it's finest.)

And yeah, I know I've offended many a New Jerseyan. But dammit- nowhere else I have been has that unique, plasticy feel. That toxic waste in the water ambiance.

They charge a toll to get into NY city from NJ... but not to get to NJ from NY. There is a reason ;)

(Yessss... I can feel the flames coming... direct from New Jersey... ahhh...)

BR

By SeaRobin on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 07:22 pm: Edit

bluedog1

Glad your glasses are on the way. You've waited long enough.

Have Fun
SeaRobin

By bluedog1 on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Spoke to Crillon today. Nice folks. My stuff was sent priority mail yesterday. So, yes, the glass and spoon sets are still available and reasonable.

By bluedog1 on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 06:27 pm: Edit

SeaRobin;

Thanx for the suggestion. I'll call tomorrow. Was hoping they'd get here this week. Bummer that. Going to open my first bottle of Deva with two friends this weekend and wanted to use the repro glasses. Guess I'll have to use the originals.

By the_lobe on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 05:30 pm: Edit

also before i forget...Pernod is also $20 less than Absente...which rings in at a unrealistic $40...so go where the money is...not only is it cheaper...it tastes better too...at least in my opinion...

ciao again

[i left my heart in syntax error !@#$]

By the_lobe on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 05:27 pm: Edit

with my curiousity peaking...i decided yesterday to buy a bottle of Pernod...though on the buyers guide and subsequent posts it was advised not to (unfortunately Herbsaint is not available where i am and is about as much trouble ordering as Deva and Mari)...so, with mixed emotions, i gave Pernod a try...low and behold, it was actually much better than Absente...whereas Absente had a very strong licorice flavor (almost guaranteed to be artificial) at least the Pernod had the flavor of anise...though after drinking Herbsaint, Pernod is like drinking a flat pepsi...i definitely say that if you want to buy something...buy Pernod over Absente...at least you know that they somewhat know how to make the stuff...

ciao

By Vivian on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Yeah, and the bad side to this is that the more people seek out the real thing, the more attention will be drawn to it and it's illegality in the U.S. Perhaps more out of town packages marked "Fragile" will be more closely scrutinized. Perhaps the government doesn't really care. My 2 pennies.

By SeaRobin on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 09:25 am: Edit

the lobe,

Your fears are warranted. I spoke with a representative of
Crillon Importers when I ordered my glass and spoon set and he
told me that their goal is to make "Absente" the next big fad in
the US. You can expect a big advertising campaign when they
start to get more product out.

There may be a good side to this. More people may get curious
about absinthe and start to seek ways of getting it for
themselves instead of getting the fake stuff.

SeaRobin

By the_lobe on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 05:57 am: Edit

i think my general concern is that the co. distributing Absente, Crillon Importers, is also the company run by Absolut Vodka mastermind, Michael Roux...with this thought in mind, it makes you wonder if when you go to the store and happen to glance at the magazine rack, you might see an ad for Absente plastered all over the mag...not that PR is a bad thing...its just i would hate to see the name of Absinthe smeared all through the proverbial hip/trendy-thing mud...by this i am not saying the hip/trend style of the past (in which it was embraced by the counterculture and hip/trendy to them), i am saying the high school teeny-bopper who wants to get their drunken groove on during the weekend and decides the best way is to get the drink they saw on the cover of a magazine ("after all it is by the same guy who advertised Absolut")...of course i might just be rambling now...which i always seem to do when i get home from working the graveyard shift ;-P ...

ciao

By SeaRobin on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 08:28 pm: Edit

bluedog1,

Maybe I just got lucky and they were shipping the day my check got there. To be honest, I didn't expect them to ship the spoon and glass set so quickly. I'm sure my experience with them is the exception and not the rule.

Funny, now that you mention it. I sent off my order in April. You may want to give them a call and see if your order got misplaced. I sent them a money order in place of a check so I wouldn't have to wait 10 days for the check to clear the bank. But as I said, they were deliverd ten days after sending the check....who knows whats going on? Call them and find out what happened.

As for the fake absinthe they are selling....I could care less. I think "the_lobe" is correct in his previous post when he suggests saving your money for the real thing.

Have Fun
SeaRobin

By the_lobe on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 07:24 pm: Edit

of course...though the sets of spoons and glasses are very nice...it is best to save your money on the drink...your best bet would probably be just to try to get the real deal, a quality pastis, or a suitable replacement (one of my favorites being Ouzo)...course i cant stop you from getting it anyway, but you would probably get the same effect if you dipped a licorice twizzler into a glass of vodka...

ciao

By bluedog1 on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 06:14 pm: Edit

SeaRobin;

You got your set from Crillon so quickly? I live in Virginia, and despite cashing my check in early April, it looks like I'll have to wait the full "6 to 8 weeks" to get my set. Bummer. This was going to be my traveling or everyday set.

By SeaRobin on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:47 pm: Edit

"Absente" is a new product from Crillon Importers out of New Jersey. I have not tried it yet, but I believe they are trying to create another fake absinthe to compete with the all the other fake products we have here in the US where the government tells us what we can and cannot drink. (Land of the Free ?)

I did, however, buy their 4 glasses and 4 spoons set they have offered on their website. They are not the most authentic glasses in the world but when you don't have anything else they work just fine. They also have the advantage of being cheep. Just $16 US for the set. Their shipping is fast too. I received my glass and spoon set about 10 days after sending them a check.

I have also ordered some Herbsaint from Hi Times Wine Cellars in California. Based on the recent hype its gotten here on the forum I just had to try it.

By tabreaux on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I concur. To think that these people attempt to draw similarities between this product and absinthe is a travesty. A total farce.

By the_lobe on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:05 pm: Edit

greetings all...i recently purchased a bottle of Absente at the local spirits store (of course there is only one type of spirits store here in Pennsylvania)...besides the fact that is came in a gawdy looking box (thing looked like it should be holding a g.i. joe playset, not a liquor) it did come with a free glass and spoon...upon opening the bottle the fragrance was strongly licorice, not very anise at all...the taste was about the same...not overly too bad...no real "absinthe effect" goin on except that intoxication comes quickly due to the moderately high alcohol level (110 proof)...i would still recommend Herbsaint over this drink, though, seeing that on the back of the bottle it tells of the artificial colors used to make it (F, D & C Yellow #5)...

ciao

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation