My initial Absinthe experiences

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:My initial Absinthe experiences
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through June 16, 2000  3   06/16 10:00pm

By Morrigan Le Fey on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Greetings...I post this both as my information for this thread, and a "continuation" (of sorts) to the "Thujone Content" thread. Tonight I finished a "blind test" on the 2 absinthe brands that I had at my disposal (Mari Mayans 70 & Deva), using my boyfriend as the "guinea pig". Here are the results (so far!):

Mari Mayans: A nice buzz after 2 drinks worth, but little else. Smooth taste, although not much character. I missed the bitter aftertaste, although he didn't. "Buzz" lasted longer (probably due to greater alcohol content).

Deva Absenta: Although it has less alcohol content than the MM, felt a nicer, stronger buzz after 1 drink. Not as smooth, but more complex. We both honestly noticed nice floaty secondary effects after 2nd. 'Guinea pig' felt unusual physical manifestations...(take that for what you will!) Nice, but effects gone within 1 hour.

In conclusion - I conducted this test with a "blind" subject to see how the latest postings of thujone content would pan out, (which he hadn't read, and therefore would not be subconsiously influenced by!). Seems not far off, although I quite frankly had hoped for more from the Mayans - it's prettier, after all!! (I KNOW the la Bleue snobs (OK OK kidding) will probably ask "why didn't you test La Bleue?!?" - cash flow, baby. Perhaps soon.)

Anyway - tommorow we will blind test Herbsaint (I'm just TOO intrigued!!). I will post the results.

On another note, thujone is often closely-linked with electrical overactivity in the brain, and consequently, epilepsy. As an adolescent epileptic (with no probs now) who was a test study herself in a holistic seizure-control method study, I have made over the years what I believe are rather unique observations on the "auto-suggestive" and actually very similar nature of epileptic pre-seizures and the absinthe experience. If people are interested, I will detail these findings in a later post.

- Morrigan

By shakti on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Yes, it is true if you want it to be.

By Josephine on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 10:19 pm: Edit

what are the mind altering effects? anyone?
is it true what oscar wilde said about seeing things as you wish they were?

By tabreaux on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Never heard of anyone being contacted by anyone, nor have I heard of anything being seized. Like I said, the laws seem to pertain to imporation for resale. Otherwise, it is like importing any other liquor. No one is on a lookout for absinthe. There more important things U.S. Customs needs to be concerned about.

By Ilaha Fern Bunn on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 12:55 pm: Edit

While we're on the subject... does anyone know of anybody who has actually been contacted by the authorities for importing absinthe for their own personal use and if so, what were the penalties? I've all ready told the U.S. census people to kiss my ass for sending me that second, all encompassing invasion of my privacy after I all ready did my duty and filled out the first (what more do you need to know about a single white male who's fully employed and owns his own house???) so I just want to see how much trouble I can possibly get into by doing whatever else it is that I'm doing... *ahem* Thanks in advance.

By tabreaux on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Both. The laws seem to be written as to prevent the importation for resale. You are subject to the standard liquor importation quota restrictions. Likewise, since absinthe is not scheduled as a "dangerous and controlled substance", this presents no big concern.

By Dean on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 09:45 am: Edit

Ted wrote:

As long as it is for your personal use, you won't have any problems with breaking the law.

Dean writes:
Is this because the way the law is written, or because they just do not care to crack down?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation