Stella artois commercial

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Nov 2000:Stella artois commercial
By Melinelly on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 09:14 am: Edit

yes, Red Tail Ale is a Mendocino Brewing Company beer... and yum indeed! =)

By Artemis on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 02:02 am: Edit

I absolutely agree with Anatomist1 about the wide availability of "mid-range" reasonably priced beer in Wisconsin. It's almost as true in Illinois and similar in Michigan.

By Artemis on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 01:59 am: Edit

"if i'm not mistaken, Pyramid is a CA brewery in Berkeley... tho perhaps they have other breweries?"

Pyramid started in a storefront in Kalama, Washington and later moved to a new building by the river (Kalama River). I've been there in person, talked to the brewer while sipping free ale. It was magnificent. They later got too big for their britches as noted in my other post. I'm not sure they signed on with Bud or anybody, but they did build a bigger facililty in or near Seattle. I don't think they have any California connection, but I could be wrong. In any case, as noted before, the bottled product does not compare to the fresh product. That's true for ANY beer. Beer is a living thing. It doesn't do well in captivity. The California breweries Melinelly mentioned do make very good beer. Doesn't one of them make Redtail Ale? Yum.

By Artemis on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 01:52 am: Edit

"The fact that they are common all the way over here indicates that they have a less 'local' status there, I guess."

Not at all. What it means is that fantastic beers which were locally made and distributed, with a loyal and enthusiastic local following, got too big for their britches. The owners of the breweries decided to go national. It's almost impossible to take on the big boys because of distribution laws which favor the big breweries, and because of lack of capital on the part of the little guys. So they form alliances with the evil empire Bud/Coors/Miller for production and distribution, and go national. The product inevitably suffers as a result. That's exactly what happened to Red Hook after they signed a deal with the Bud Devil.
When I talk about beers in Seattle, Portland, or elsewhere, I'm talking about brewpubs or beer otherwise fresh out of the tap. I wouldn't expect Oregon beer in Wisconsin to be worth a damn in a bottle. I don't even drink bottled beer if I can help it. I don't have any figures to proove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more brewpubs in Portland than in the entire state of Wisconsin.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 09:37 am: Edit

The listing I saw said that there are 2 Pyramids, one in CA and one in WA. Maybe not even the same company.

I remember Augsburger, I envisioned the green and black label right away when you mentioned it. I haven't seen that stuff for years.

By Bob_chong on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 09:03 am: Edit

Pyramid did not start in CA but in WA.

By Melinelly on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 08:44 am: Edit

if i'm not mistaken, Pyramid is a CA brewery in Berkeley... tho perhaps they have other breweries?

i'd have to agree with the statement below about portland area brews being better than seattle.

for some of the best cali brews try stuff from the mendocino or humbolt brewing companies (as far as what's available statewide or further).

By Bob_chong on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 08:09 am: Edit

Huber Bock is going for $12.99/case here. I almost choked when I heard that. I remember it being $5.99/case in my youth.

Anatomist: do you see Augsburger up there anymore? It used to be one of my favorite mid-priced beers. It was cheaper and better than something like, say Sam Adams (but then again, what isn't better than Sam Adams? I'd rather drink Schlitz...which is actually quite good and perhaps the finest macrobrewed American style pils in the US).

By Anatomist1 on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 07:37 am: Edit

New Glarus is my favorite local brewery, although I would probably be forced to say Capital was better, especially if blind taste tests were involved. The Washington state products that make it to my local stores (Pyramid, Redhook) are very good, yet do not compare favorably with Capital and New Glarus. The fact that they are common all the way over here indicates that they have a less 'local' status there, I guess.

I lived in Eugene, OR for a couple of months about 7 or 8 years ago, and it was nothing like Wisconsin. At convenience stores and groceries, Henry Weinhardt's Private Reserve and Lowenbrau in the blue-labelled six-packs were the cream of the crop. The unique thing about this state is not that we have the 'best of the best' or the 'most of the best', but rather 'the least of the worst'. In addition to the premium-priced locals, we also have many brands of mid-priced locals (i.e., same price range as Bud): Bergohoff, Point, Leinenkugel's, etc... There are also beers like Huber Bock, that come in cases of returnable bottles that are much cheaper and better than Miller, Bud, etc... Anyplace around here that carries beer, including fast food joints and gas stations, will almost never force you to buy one of the mass-produced McBeers. If you don't mind bitter cold, endless miles of milk farms, widespread football mania that is only slightly more zealous than your average shiite muslim terrorist faction, and your primary aspiration in life is to grow an enormous belly, it's heaven.

By Artemis on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 01:48 am: Edit

I would rank Portland, Oregon over Seattle for craft-brewed beer - and Washington, Oregon, California and Colorado over Wisconsin, hands down. But Wisconsin is no slouch, that's for sure. Anyone who gets the opportunity to try New Glarus Belgian Red will not be disappointed - it's one of the best beers I've had in my life, and I've had a million or so. New Glarus also makes an apple beer - an acquired taste, but they pull it off somehow.

By Marc on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 02:21 pm: Edit

all this time I've been using a screen that I had saved on my "favorites" bar. I never knew about this column to my left until you mentioned it. I reloaded the page and voila! Thanks. This is gonna make posting here alot easier. Which may not be a good thing.

By Marc on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 02:08 pm: Edit

I don't see an edit profile link on the left.

By Bob_chong on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 01:53 pm: Edit

You can edit recent posts by going to the "edit profile" link on the left.

By Marc on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 11:20 am: Edit

yes I meant Falls Church. I wish these pages had an edit feature. Not being able to delete or edit is a pisser. Of course, it improves your proofreading skills. Or in my case, doesn't.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 09:44 am: Edit

Grimbergen and Petermarc,

Wisconsin must have changed alot. It might be an increase in upper-middle class money in the southern part of the state. My main point is that it really is different here in terms of good beer availability than many places in the country. When I travelled down through the bible states, I have had all sorts of weird experiences: no beer sales on Sundays, no beer in the whole damn town, beer only available on tap at the VFW... you practically have to wave a gun in someone's face to get people to admit that beer is available at all, and they often seem mighty smug about disappointing you. Seattle is the only other place I've been that seemed to be almost as saturated with microbrews as Wisconsin...

I sure hope I WON'T be enjoying these beers up here for many years to come, as I've got to get the hell out of this state soon. Do you have any idea how freakin' cold it is here? How many mosquitos we have in the summer? You practically have to kidnap nationally known singer/songwriters to get them to come here... Beer is a about the only thing Wisconsin is the capital of.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 05:52 am: Edit

Dear Marc, I guess you mean Falls Church, I used to have a partner there on Patrick Henry Drive.

By Petermarc on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 04:14 am: Edit

all this talk of wisconsin and beer makes me think
back of the days of my youth in northeast wisconsin drinking pabst blue ribbon, hamm's and
the foreign beer, strohs (is that how you spelled
it) brewed from the pure water of the detroit river... and that holy grail of beers, coors, which had to be sneeked across state lines by worldly people who got to visit colorado...crap beer that people drank to forget how
boring their life was...i don't even know what the hell you guys are talking about with all these wisconsin micro-brweries...hey, what goes well with cheese-curds? i guess after they imported french cows and started making brie in wisconsin that all hell broke loose...i know most of the people i knew wouldn't know what was going on...
the greatest beer i ever had was belgian and came in a white champagne-style bottle and had a strange name, (not that that's unusual)i can't remember, was an abbay ale, and i can't find again (it was in san francsico 1988, that i had it)can't find it here, either...have to make a beer-tasting trip to the north...i find chimay
good, the vintage chimay too heavy and sweet...duval is good, too....stella is, well, beer...i could never really enjoy bud( another foreign beer), but in wisconsin, you could drink anything were i lived...sloe-gin screw, anyone?

By Artemis on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 02:21 am: Edit

Marc, I first had Maudite in Kentucky, from a store that carried a surprising array of good beer (not many wet counties in Kentucky, much less stores with good beer). I had to search some to find Quelque Chose, and never did find it ... as I remember, my brother found it around DC and mailed it to me. Try the Quelque Chose, it's magnificent, but I would ignore the instructions as to heating it.

By Marc on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 02:03 am: Edit

The first time I drank La Maudite I was blown away by how good it was. I drank it for the first time about 5 years ago in an Indian restaurant here in Manhattan. It tasted great with curries.

By Artemis on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 01:30 am: Edit

Old Nick is a British (Young's Brewery) barley wine. It indeed features a devil on the label. La Maudite is made in Quebec by Unibroue. It features a nicer devil, grinning down upon a canoe full of damned portageurs, paddling under the moon (the canoe is pointed to hell, presumably). La Maudite is roughly in the Belgian duvel (devil ale) style, but superior in my opinion to any Belgian duvel beer. Unibroue brews unique, world-class beers including Fin du Monde and Quelque Chose, a winter beer flavored with cherries that's supposedly intended to be served heated, although I tried it that way and wouldn't do it again.

By Marc on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 01:27 am: Edit

I spent my teenage years in Fall Curch, Va.
Would hitchhike into D.C. and hang out at Dupont Circle. I eventually moved into my own apartment on P street. I was 16. My girlfriend was 19. Our rent was $80 a month for a beautiful brownstone apartment. The year was 1967. Next stop: San Francisco.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 01:11 am: Edit

Old Nick is great stuff as black beers go, the stuff makes Guiness seem like dishwater in comparison, and the label is better than the beer!

I used to be able to find Old Nick in the Washington DC area, at the Rosslyn branch of Giant Foods.

By Marc on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 12:46 am: Edit

I was thinking of Maudite, a Canadian ale.

Thanks mellinelly

Anatomist, Thanks. I admit I know very little about beer, ales or lager. I'd drink Mickey's wide mouth if you handed it to me.

By Grimbergen on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Enough said. I think we can lay this to rest. And may you enjoy the great beers up that way for many years to come. In the end it really just boils down to what you like, it is just us brewers tend to get caught up on details. I apoligize if I came across to comfrontational, I have enjoyed reading your posts in this forum.

Thanks for the interesting post, sorry beer talk took over.

By Melinelly on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 07:17 pm: Edit

hrm... devil on the label eh?... maybe yer thinkin of Old Nick (barleywine style) or something like Maudite? not an ommegang product though.

we just got in gift packs of beers picked by Michael Jackson (the beer guy, not the singer) two each of five different beers. i did a tasting today, and they are all awesome brews. only one registered as "yum that's nice" while three were "oooooh my tastebuds are ALIVE!" and the fifth scored an "Oh my F***ING GOD THAT'S BETTER THAN... oops did i say that out loud?" in my opinion hehe. i'll have to write down the names of the beers when i go into work tomorrow and post more info here.

i never buy giftpacks of beer, but i just may have to since there's supposedly nowhere else in the US that these particular beers are available... grumble grumble... 20 bucks though... maybe i'll "accidentally" break a few boxes and stick them in a $10 mystery box ***evil grin***

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Look, I'm not a paid spokesperson for Capital Brewing. Hell, I only consider them one among several incredible beers that we take for granted here. If you love beer so much, maybe you should move to Wisconsin. Every place from Rocky Roccoco's fast food pizza, to every bar I've ever been to, every liquor store, to the first-run movie theater where I work carries a wide assortment of imported and microbrewed beer. I've been drinking international award-winning beer for years, and just thinking "Oh, I guess I'll have some of that." I have been drinking Capital and New Glarus beers in particular, in bottles and on tap, from liquor stores, fine restaurants, beer tents, and fast food joints -- for over a decade. I can't remember ever seeing a billboard ad, magazine spread, or so much as a prefab store display by either brewery, yet their beer is ubiquitous. Almost all Wisconsin beers come in dark brown bottles and tall opaque paper 6 packs to protect the beer from light degradation, as well.

I don't know a wort from a lumpy frog when it comes to brewing processes, but I have taste buds, and I can tell you as an experiential fact that there is a different taste between 'Capital 1900' and 'Special Pilsner'. Both are brewed all year, by the same brewery, and both taste distinctly different kinds of good. These are the 2 products listed on one of their web pages:

Sure, they have a website with a little boasting, and their wrappers aren't plain white, but I think self-evident quality and variety are what keeps them in business. We're a spoiled, educated market.

By Grimbergen on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 06:29 pm: Edit

I think you must be confusing it with another beer, there isn't a devil on any of the labels, and they make ales not lagers. 3 ales to be specific, Ommegang, Hennepin, Rare Vos.

By Marc on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I repeated part of your post verbatim. I knew it sounded familiar.

By Marc on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Yes I have drunk the Ommegang brew. They have one style of lager with the devil on the label. I can't recall it's name, but it's very good. I think Ommegang compares favorably to Belgium beers and they sell for about half the price here in the States.

By Grimbergen on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 04:38 pm: Edit

First of all, I have never heard of a company making more than one pilsner (apart from bud, bud light etc.) Micros don't have more than one pilsner because they would be unable to differentiate them effectively in the market place. I think you might be confusing pilsners and lagers. A pilsner is a type of lager.

Furthermore, if I am right and the claim is just hype, that doesn't reflect on their beer; I take your word that it's a good beer. Unsupportable hype is a common feature among breweries, both good and bad (ex.bud's beachwood aging, they gotta be kidding right?).

Of course there is variation in pilsner recipes, albeit less than other beer styles. The thing is that the pilsners that were made in Wisconsin at the turn of the century are going to basically be the same as any decent pilsner brewed in other places or at other times. My point is the variations in pilsners aren't really related to the geographical location of the brewery.

As for comparing the brewery to Don and Ted's project. Not much brewing knowledge was really lost when the US breweries started shutting down. This is especially true for pilsners because the US never really varied from the Czech and German tradition.

"as they are so well known and respected around here that no PR dollars are needed."
There you go kidding me again. Right??

On the subject of Ommegang. I was there 2 weeks ago. Great brewery, good people! Arguably the best value belgian style beer in the US.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Damn! I'm gonna go get a bottle of that Hennepin right now...

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Ever try Ommegang brewery's products (Cooperstown, NY)? They sell three belgian ales very similar in style and packaging to Chimay. I haven't done side-by-side, double-blind comparisons, but they compare very favorably to the Chimay's, cost half as much, and, due to shipping proximity, are never stale. Try "Hennepin".

If the only variable in beer is quality, how come Capital puts out 16 differents styles of beer that all taste different and cost the same? There are all kinds of pilsners out there that taste different from one another and seem to have roughly equivalent production values, and some breweries put out 3 different pilsner styles on their own. The idea that there are no meaningful variations in recipie within a beer category like 'pilsner' is a falsehood that is easy to demonstrate with one's own tongue. I don't think it's just hype when they tell me that that particular pilsner recipe has something to do with research they did on beers that were brewed here 100 years ago, and that there is something that makes it different from their Special Pilsner. How do you know they didn't do what Ted and Don are doing in relation to vintage Absinthe?

Since you're not in their distribution area, you may not have had any of their beer, but Capital isn't a brewery to sneer at. I think word of mouth is their primary advertising or 'hyping' method, as they are so well known and respected around here that no PR dollars are needed.

By Grimbergen on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 02:56 pm: Edit

"On the other hand, if immigrant heritage has nothing to do with it, how come german-filled Wisconsin seems to have more breweries - micro and macro - than anywhere else? "

Good brewing climat. Good beer consuming climate. And possible some enduring preference for better beers.

"I guess the fact that they had to research it implies the tradition wasn't continuous.... "

Don't buy the hype. They didn't do any different research that any other brewery would when creating a beer. The pilsner style (same for other styles) pretty much defines how the beer is made. A Wisconsin pilsner isn't going to differ from a pilsner made elsewhere. Pretty much the only variable is quality, and that is mainly determined by how much you want to spend making the beer.

By Ekmass on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Hear hear for Duvel and Chimay. I have a French friend who was over here for awhile and for him Bud or Coors et al were basically soda pop for him. He liked them but was afraid of calling them "beer". Go figure

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 09:23 am: Edit

Well, at least the part about non-lobotomized, ambitious go-getters was right. Due to prohibition of the cannabis plant, we also boast some of the most sophisticated horticulturalists in the world. I guess the moral is "Don't try to stand between a yank and his buzz."

On the other hand, if immigrant heritage has nothing to do with it, how come german-filled Wisconsin seems to have more breweries - micro and macro - than anywhere else?

Also, I just had some Capital Brewery, 'Capital 1900' last night. According to their PR: "Presenting a style of beer that represented Wisconsin circa 1900. Researching the turn-of-the-century Milwaukee breweries, led to the discovery of this mild, refined pilsner gem. [sic]" I guess the fact that they had to research it implies the tradition wasn't continuous....

By Grimbergen on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 07:43 am: Edit

Whoa there boys. Gee you are touchy about US beer. I think you all need a reality check here; get off your nice bar stools and go look into all of the bars that you don't (and wouldn't) frequent, see how the other half lives. Most bars don't stock beers other than the bud variety, regardless of how many great micros you have around. My comment about the 'average US bar' was just that, a comment about the average US bar. It wasn't about the quality of beer obtainable in the US. I was not making disparaging remarks about US beer, I AM A BREWER IN THE US.

As for the Anatomist's melting pot comments, well, that's just bull. The good beer in the US is not derive from our immigrant heritage. It was in the past, but all of those brewing traditions were killed off this century. You can thank homebrewers for the micro beer industry. It was homebrewer response to the lack of good beer in the US that started the revival of good beer in the US. Most micro brewers start out as homebrewers.

Dang Ekmass, last time I try to help you out ;)

By Marc on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 01:47 am: Edit

This Bud's for you. Cheers!

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 01:23 am: Edit

OK so Stella is good, Bud is good and so is horsepiss if that's what you fancy.

Whether you're lobotomised loud American or a European snob from a crumbling empire let's just drink up and get plastered.

By Marc on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 04:49 pm: Edit

The availability of good to excellent beer in the USA has increased a hundred fold. In NYC most of the delis have shelves and shelves of American microbrews. And we have some fine breweries right here in New York City. The Brooklyn Brewery and The New Amsterdam Brewery put out various styles of excellent beer.
Even supermarkets offer microbrews on their shelves.

I love a cold Bud on a hot afternoon. Refreshing.
Bud has it's place in the beer Universe. It's light on the malt and has just a hint of hops, which is fine if your thirsty or need an unobtrusive beverage to wash down a good meal.
My favorite beers are DUVEL and CHIMAY.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Also, 'an average US bar' is dependent upon what part of the US you are in. Here in Madison, I have more good microbreweries within 15O miles than I can keep track of; perhaps the most award-winning of which -- Capital Brewery -- is practically right here in town. Here's their awards page:

You have to hunt hard for a bar in Madison that doesn't have something good on tap.

The thing that European snobs should bear in mind about the USA is that we're a country of immigrants. Granted some of us got kicked out of our countries of origin, or fled in terror, but most of our citizens and our ancestors came here because they were ambitious go-getters who wanted more from life than they could get in Europe, or wherever.

Obtaining a lobotomy isn't a prerequisite for US citizenship. The huge number of germans who emigrated to Wisconsin didn't start drooling and forget everything they knew about making beer just because they stepped off a boat or climbed down off of a wagon.

If we we're content to stagnate along with the snobs in the crumbling british empire, we wouldn't have kicked your asses and started our own country.

Bob, I just mentioned you because I remember you reading someone the riot act on this issue on a past thread.

By Bob_chong on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Anatomist is correct. Disdaining American beer on the basis of Bud is like disdaining Mexican food on the basis of Taco Bell.

(Anatomist--was your question, "Where's Bob...?" in regards to my beer passion or my reliable jingoism? Or both? ;-))

By Artemis on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 03:25 pm: Edit

"I walked into the average US bar it would probably be the best thing there ... "
It would not. It would not be there at all. The average U.S. bar has never heard of Stella Artois. And if it was there, it would still not be the best thing there, because it isn't very good beer. It's mediocre at best. The best thing in a U.S. bar which doesn't care much about beer (increasingly rare, thank God) is more than likely Budweiser on tap, not because it's good, but because it's better than what else is there. Being on draft and relatively fresh (Bud gets that part right) is half the battle. As Anatomist pointed out, if it happened to be a better than average U.S. bar, there is a good chance beer would be there which would be as good or better than anything in Belgium. Maybe not the same style - there would be no Lambic for example. But to pretend there is no beer in the U.S. as good as Belgian beer is the height of ignorance. To pretend there is no Belgian swill is just as bad. There is plenty of horsepiss Belgian beer. There is plenty of world-class U.S. beer. An "average" U.S. bar is simply not the place to go if you are a fancier of fine beer.

By Ekmass on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Grim has the Bud Stella analogy right on. Stella is the most common beer in Belgium ie. one of the cheapest. Compared to other Belgian beers it is most certainly not the top of the ladder in taste. Same as Bud in the US. My main point is that Stella does not deserve the high reputation it gets over here and gives other fine Belgian lagers a bad name. Similar to Hills stealing the market... Anyway, just got some of La Boheme's "Orginal Absinthe". While I am skeptical I will give it a go and get back to you all.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 02:24 pm: Edit

"I will concede, that if I walked into the average US bar it would probably be the best thing
there...but that's all relative."

This is absolute hogwash! American microbrews and brewpubs produce beers of every style and variety that match and frequently surpass anything made in Europe. Moreover, when you are comparing these products *in the US* the american beers will always be better, as they have not been pasteurized and allowed to sit around in hot ship holds for months upon end...

Where's Bob when you need him?

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 01:57 pm: Edit

No doubt you know more than me in this matter as I've only ever visited Belgium as tourist. However I've yet to taste a Belgian beer that can be described as "swill". Stella certainly isn't "swill".

By Grimbergen on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 01:50 pm: Edit

It certainly cannot be described as "swill", the Belgians do not produce "swill".

Who are you kidding? Everyone makes swill. I am of the opinion that belgium far surpasses any other country in quality of beer, but swill is produced there. And the swill primarilly consists of the cheap lagers that you will find on tap. I don't wish to argue where to classify stella; I will concede, that if I walked into the average US bar it would probably be the best thing there...but that's all relative.

ps. Grimbergen is a wonderful belgian beer.

By Treeman5 on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Bud bad, Sam Adams GOOD...Deva BETTER..I whole heartedly agree that Bud is swill..I'd take a Sam Adams hot from my trunk over an ice cold can of Bud any day of the week..Gotta love the rednecks though, they give us all the goood tv programs on auto racing, fishing, and of course the ever popular shows on senseless killing of little furry animals.."Hey BillyBob toss me another can of Bud, I just shot me the last elephant on the planet. Yeeha!"

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 01:34 pm: Edit

It makes no odds whether Stella is viewed as a premium lager or not in Belgium, (not surprising as Belgium produces some of the finest beers on the planet), it's still a bloody good lager and is lightyears ahead of Bud in terms of quality. It certainly cannot be described as "swill", the Belgians do not produce "swill".

By _blackjack_ on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 11:53 am: Edit

And yet Bud continually wins consumer taste-tests in the US over more expensive beer, which shows that it may be swill, but it's exactly the swill Americans want....

I can't stand beer in general, myself...

By Grimbergen on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 11:19 am: Edit

"At the risk of igniting a flame war I must leap to the defence of Stella. It cannot be compared to the evil swill known as Bud - surely the Hills of largers. In fact as you say it was all you could afford to drink in Europe I think you must be confusing it with something else, Stella has always branded itself as 'Reassuringly expensive'"

Sorry Absithedrinker, but you are way off base here. Ekmass isn't confusing anything. Stella is the belgian equvalent of bud, though not nearly as bad. When interbrew (owns stella) started moving into the UK and US they made the decision to market it as an permium lager. This isn't how it is viewed in belgium. If you go into virtually any bar in belgium and ask for a beer you will almost alway get either stella, maes, jupiler or primus (stella and maes being the better of the 4). In a bar that carries stella, stella will be the cheapest beer you can order. It definitely is not viewed as a premium lager in belgium. I spent 8 years in brussels and am a belgian beer geek so you can trust me on this one.

By Melinelly on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 08:55 am: Edit

heh didn't mean to start a flame of any sort by comparing stella to bud... note: i didn't compare the drinks, only the people who drank them and the way stella was seen in the market. we stayed with a couple friends of ours in basingstoke and the fella and i consumed mass quantities of lager (mainly foster, stella, and some other lager that came in a black and white can i can't recall the name of) while watching the tele or playing games on his psx. of course when we went out or i actually felt like enjoying a good brew i always stuck to the local ales and of course guinness. i'm a bit of a beer snob now, but i always enjoy the occasional lager for ol' times sake... heh speaking of bud... back in high school, we couldn't even afford that! bud was the drink of kings to us back then... who knows how much busch, natural, pabst, old english, st ides, lucky, and other swill i consumed... always cold and always fast! lol

By Anatomist1 on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 08:28 am: Edit

Assuming your ego can stand it, the solution in those drag-racing type of situations is to drink the 'light' or 'lite' version of US mass-market swill. Bud tastes awful: Bud Light has almost no taste whatsoever. All of those light beers taste about the same, which is to say not at all, if they're cold. Look at the calorie content. There isn't room in there for anything but alcohol and soda water. I actually like such beers when its hot, and all I'm looking for is an 'alcohol delivery vehicle'.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 08:25 am: Edit

All the same Joshua, it just goes to prove that some red-necks are decent, generous blokes.

By Joshua on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 05:10 am: Edit

ahh bud the drink of choice for rednecks everywhere,only had it one time and will never touch it again,my redneck friends and i went to a drag race,we didnt bring much money and we bought nachos,then we didnt have enough for a drink,the guy in an rv next to us must have noticed our delima,and offered us all one bud each,that is the most disgusting liquid i have ever tasted.if there was a way to liquify rotten skunk,and other assorted road kill,bud must be the outcome.

By Don_walsh on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 02:47 am: Edit

Can I have the three waiflike women instead of either drink? As it was the UK market, the absinthe would have been less than optimal anyway. And there is a distant chance that the waiflike women may have been Thai.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 02:38 am: Edit

At the risk of igniting a flame war I must leap to the defence of Stella. It cannot be compared to the evil swill known as Bud - surely the Hills of largers. In fact as you say it was all you could afford to drink in Europe I think you must be confusing it with something else, Stella has always branded itself as 'Reassuringly expensive'

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 01:18 am: Edit

I'm sorry but Stella is a quality lager and has a tradition. I'm glad that Stella doesn't equal Bud as Bud is nothing more than over-hyped dishwater, fit only to wash out the taste of a big mac and fries.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 10:46 pm: Edit

I thought leather-clad, tiger-toting, motorcycle dudes just bit their tongues and drank their own blood when they were thirsty. What the hell do they need with mysterious, enchanting waifs bearing strange beverages?

By Ekmass on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Stella Artois does = Bud. When I was in school in Europe, all we could afford was Stella and I will tell you it is truly swill. What gets me is that they market it here (Washington, D.C.) in this new French Bistro along side things like Leffe at the same price, $6.00/pint trying too pass it off as this hip Euro Brew.

By Melinelly on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 05:52 pm: Edit

i dunno if this commercial is running elsewhere in the states, but here in the sf bay area i've seen it on a couple channels.

for those who don't know, stella artois is a lager beer that is just now gaining a following in the states. when i was in the uk on honeymoon last year, stella was on tap pretty much everywhere although the type of people who drink it there are the type of people who drink bud and such here... anyhoo...

recently, they've been running an ad on tv for stella that has an absinthe reference. probably because the ad was made for uk release as a lash out at the absinthe fad (i.e. "absinthe baaaaaad. beer gooooood.").

commercial is (i think... it's pretty far out so i can't tell if i'm making some of this up or not, although the absinthe part is right on): dude dressed in leather on a motorcycle with a pet tiger being drawn to something... vision clouds and out of clouds appear three waiflike women clad in flowing white gowns, floating in the air surrounding a glowing glass of green liquid (absinthe, green fairy reference)... he brushes them off and they disappear... as the mist dissipates, a glass of stella artois appears and a husky romantic male voice says "stella artois"... end of commercial.

just an interesting absinthe related bit of pop culture to look out for =)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation